Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 16:21   #61
God Member

Re: pregnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Got it in one Slinky............I get the distinct impression that Margaret did as well.
NO I DIDN'T - that sort of thinking is now extinct (thankfully)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2007, 16:32   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
NO I DIDN'T - that sort of thinking is now extinct (thankfully)
Ye but...No but...Ye But...No but...(This is a Joke)...Little Britain

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 17:27   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
Dear oh dear..... This thread has opened a can of worms..

I would like to add my twopennorth and stick up for these so-called book taught midwives who have no idea.........

Midwives are taught by experience, not just by theory. You cannot learn to deliver a baby and care for a mother and baby by reading a textbook. Most midwives have children themselves, some are unable to have children, have had stillbirths, cot deaths or just do not want children but spend their lives looking after other people's children. Before you make judgemental remaks about midwives who don't have kids, just think yourselves lucky that you do.......

In my opinion, you are entitled to feed your baby how you see fit. At least in this country we have a choice, in the third world you breastfeed or lose your baby to malnutrition, gastroenteritis or the thousands of other nasties out there.

Of course, if you think midwifery is an easy job and that you would be so much better at it than the people who looked after you then feel free to come and do your training.
The stark reality is that you will work long hours, do day and night shifts in the same week, rarely have a meal break, have to cope with abuse from members of the public who are drunk, on drugs or just plain nasty. You will find that you have a wealth of paperwork to do in order to cover your ar$e and fulfill legal requirements. You will rarely be supplied with adequate equipment to do your job. You will deal with stillbirths, late miscarriages and people who are grieving. You will feel like gobbing the people who coo.... 'oooh, what a lovely job.'

Despite all of this, it can be lovely and fulfilling. I have made lots of good friends and get on well with my clients. I speak my mind and genuinely worry about people and will always try my best to help, even if I've been up all night with someone in labour, feel ill, hungry, need the loo or have a thousand other jobs to do.

If you think that this is an easy job then come and try it.
Good post Lettie.Sorry if I've caused you or anyone else any offence with anything I've said in this thread.I never stopped to think about the women who couldn't have children or who had suffered stillbirths so I realise what I said may have come accross as offensive.I was just going by my own experience but,of course,not all midwives with no children of their own will be like the one allocated to me.I should not allow this one experience to cloud my judgement of all midwives without children and should not have made the sweeping statement that I did.I would like to apologise to you for that.
I realise that midwifery is a very demanding job and it must have felt like a kick in the teeth to read some of the posts I made in this thread.I would like to say that all your work is much appreciated.You sound like a wonderful,caring midwife and I'm sure there are many others just like you.I shall think before I make any more generalisations in future.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 18:44   #64
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

No offence taken. I will be the first to admit that there are midwives out there who seem to have no idea or no compassion but these aren't necessarily childless midwives. Some of our midwives who are strong advocates for breastfeeding have successfully breastfed their own babies and had no problems, they fail to understand how other mothers may have problems.

As a student (17 years ago), I worked with a midwife on the labour ward who said to a woman who was having her first baby
"why are you making all that noise? I've had 4 babies and never screamed like that."
As a new student I was appalled at how heartless that sounded and vowed that I would never say those kind of things. I asked the midwife why she had said it and was told that it was to get the woman angry enough to stop screaming and push before she ended up with a forceps delivery. Even after all of these years, I can't make up my mind whether it was cruel to be kind or just plain cruel..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 18:47   #65
God Member

What ever you call your baby kathleen ........ bare in mind this poor little chap

4Real - Why Baby Has To Be Called Superman |Sky News|Strange News

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 10:48   #66

Hi Kathleen. Congrats on the baby hope you are well and havent been too bad with morning sicknes. Yak! I have a two and a half year old now and as for napies it al depends on how much time you are going to have on your hands. I chose disposable nappies, there are good if you think of the environment but neither is a car, plastic bags, deodorant, etc etc. My mum used terry nappies with my brother 35 years ago but she has even said to me that unless you have a twin tub to oil the nappies in you will be steeping them in your sink. Yak!. Also as they say 'breast is best' but although i tried my very hardest to breast feed my little boy he didnt want it and it was crucifying. I cried when all my milk went cause it was such a waste but you know what is right for you and your baby. You have it all to look forward to. Good luck x
Claire Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 16:54   #67
Senior Member+

Hi Kathleen
Congrats (again!).......
I never got a chance to tell you about my pregnancy etc before so here goes.....
I craved Oranges (ate 10 a day)...people said Jack would be born looking like an orange lol,Pepperoni and mushroom pizza-cold.....for breakfast but never during the day.Pilchards on toast, and sherbet.
Had really bad morning sickness for the first 3 months
and heartburn that had me drinking gaviscon like it was pop.
I was in labour for a couple of days and the birth was good-i loved the drugs haha,no complications and apart from the last minute wasnt actually too painful-i would say more uncomfortable.
I breastfed for 9 weeks-i didnt realise how tiring and stressful it was until i stopped...bottle feeding was easier but i knew breastmilk was best for him and im 100% sure Jacks immune system is so good because i fed him myself for a while.Although when he waking every hour in the night for a feed i was soooooo tired
I must say that although i knew i only wanted one child,Jack has clarified this for me....having a baby is extremely hard work.I know people say it but until you have one you dont know the full extent.
On the otherhand because Jack is growing up and is no longer a baby..............Im extremely broody!But im fighting it....i really couldnt go through all that again.

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 22:01   #68

im craving oranges delish ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
so juicy and gowjus
Old 23-08-2007, 08:46   #69
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i used to crave chocolate and loads of it, i didnt half pile on the weight!
Old 27-08-2007, 11:28   #70

i went to the hospital on friday for an internal scan as im pregnant and a cyst the size of a tennis ball has been found on my ovary on my first uss which was on thursday the mid wife knew more about it than the doctor and the doctor still doesnt know what the cyst is the doctor tried to book me in for an mri scan in a months time and it was the mid wife who sorted it out and said this is not acceptable and I must have a scan asap my mid wife is great and very knowledgable by the time i would have had the mri scan if the doctor had it his way it would probably have been to late to take the cyst out if it needs to come out

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 11:43   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
i went to the hospital on friday for an internal scan as im pregnant and a cyst the size of a tennis ball has been found on my ovary on my first uss which was on thursday the mid wife knew more about it than the doctor and the doctor still doesnt know what the cyst is the doctor tried to book me in for an mri scan in a months time and it was the mid wife who sorted it out and said this is not acceptable and I must have a scan asap my mid wife is great and very knowledgable by the time i would have had the mri scan if the doctor had it his way it would probably have been to late to take the cyst out if it needs to come out
Hope everything is ok, sounds like you are in safe hands and they are doing everything to get to the bottom of things. GOOD LUCK
Old 27-08-2007, 12:41   #72
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Ovarian cysts are commonly found in pregnancy and usually left alone until after you've delivered. They sometimes become quite big because of the extra hormones of pregnancy and can shrink afterwards. It is really rare for the cyst to be malignant or harmful to you in any way whilst you are pregnant but, if they do suspect that the cyst may cause harm then they will remove it. Thousands of women have ovarian cysts and have absolutely no knowledge of them until they get very big (my mates mum had one the size of a melon), or they start to cause pain, or they have a scan for another reason (pregnancy usually).
My advice would be not to worry about it, it is very common.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 20:48   #73

thanks alot for the help its 10 cm across if its a fiberoid they will leave it alone but if its a dermaroid (dont know if i spelt that right) they are going to take it out they think its one of those but cant decide which

Old 25-09-2007, 20:01   #74

well the cyst is gone I had my opperation and they removed the cyst and the ovary via four tiny holes close to my ribs without any harm to the baby they thought they would have to do a big cut down the middle of my tummy to get around the baby but i had a suprize when i woke up. Its amazing what they can do.

Old 25-09-2007, 21:17   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
well the cyst is gone I had my opperation and they removed the cyst and the ovary via four tiny holes close to my ribs without any harm to the baby they thought they would have to do a big cut down the middle of my tummy to get around the baby but i had a suprize when i woke up. Its amazing what they can do.
That is really good news, now you can relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. Hope everything goes according to plan and good luck. Don't forget to let us know when your baby arrives

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..