Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2012, 15:56   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit

As some will know from this post:-
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/1022489-post21.html

I bought a rabbit, It didn't need batteries ladies, it was dead and ready for the 15 hours I gave it in the slow cooker.

Must be about 20 years since the last time I had one, won't leave it that long before I have another.
Cost's about the same as a chicken but at least a family of four will get a leg each.

Was considering whether to roast or stick it in a broth, glad I went for the broth no need to peel spuds for roasties.

Oh how unbelievable the flesh was when I tried my first bowl, melt in the mouth wonderful, I had forgotten how small a rabbits bones can be but they come in handy as a natural toothpick.

If you've never had rabbit, forget the Aw poor little bunny idea, try it, give it to your kids, what a great forgotten meal it is.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-10-2012, 16:05   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit

I second that Less, but stop it you're making me hungry! There was a great pile of them on Bury market last Sat, didn't buy one as we already had food for the week and no room in the freezer...

When we lived in the country we would sometimes find one hangng on the back door handle, courtesy of the local gamekeeper - and the cats would sometimes catch them, but usually only babies, not big enough to have any sensible amount of meat - and often they weren't dead so we would let them go.

The only problem is the tiny little bones - but rabbit is nice roasted as well, jointed and wrapped in a bit of bacon, and doesn't fall apart then so the bones are easier to find.

Glad you enjoyed it - and several more meals to come!
Old 13-10-2012, 16:09   #3
Senior Member+

I vaguely remember having rabbit as a boy but all I can remember is the awful smell as it cooked. Have I got that wrong?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 16:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I vaguely remember having rabbit as a boy but all I can remember is the awful smell as it cooked. Have I got that wrong?
How old was the rabbit? Had you checked the sell by date? What colour were the maggot's?

Don't know to be honest, only know that when I was cooking mine the tantalising smells coming from the kitchen were agony in a, I want to eat it now sort of way.

Old 13-10-2012, 16:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
rabbit is nice roasted as well, jointed and wrapped in a bit of bacon,
As much as I enjoyed the rabbit, I would have preferred if it had been wrapped in the whole pig, crackling? Bring it on.
Old 13-10-2012, 16:21   #6
God Member

My dad used to trap rabbits to supplement our meagre food ration in the 40s.

Eating rabbits stopped due to -
Myxomatosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in the 50s.

The rabbits you buy now have genetic resistance to the infection.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 16:21   #7
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
As much as I enjoyed the rabbit, I would have preferred if it had been wrapped in the whole pig, crackling? Bring it on.
Ha ha there'd have to be something intermediate is size between the pig and the rabbit - any suggestions? Though if you used a sucking pig that would probably be small enough not to need anything else. Veggies look away now!

Last edited by susie123; 13-10-2012 at 16:23.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 16:21   #8
Beacon of light

I had a boyfriend in the dim and distant past...he invited me to his parents place for tea.
The meal was to be rabbit pie...unfortunately his mother was laid low by a slipped disc and was unable to cook...so it was down to me. I think I might have been about 17.
What on earth made this lad think I was capable of cooking a rabbit pie? I don't quite know, but I casseroled the rabbit pieces(he did the chopping up of the rabbit) with carrot, shallots and some barley.
I made the pastry crust and we went out for the afternoon leaving the rabbit cooking in a slow oven....when we came back, I put the crust on the pie and peeled some spuds( this wasn't quite the romantic day I had thought it was going to be).......the rabbit pie was scoffed by everyone except me(I just had the veggies and gravy with my mash...and a bit of pie crust) His dad and his sister...(heck why didn't she do the cooking? She was out with her bofriend - that's why!) said the pie was delicious....and I could come and cook for them any day. That's one of the reasons he got dumped.......I didn't want to be cooking for someone else's family....I did enough og that at home.
So Rabbit doesn't have good memories for me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 16:32   #9

Quote:
Ha ha there'd have to be something intermediate is size between the pig and the rabbit - any suggestions? Though if you used a sucking pig that would probably be small enough not to need anything else. Veggies look away now!
I think I'd pay extra for a pig like that, but could I eat it afterwards knowing how intimate we had been?
Old 13-10-2012, 16:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My dad used to trap rabbits to supplement our meagre food ration in the 40s.

Eating rabbits stopped due to -
Myxomatosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in the 50s.

The rabbits you buy now have genetic resistance to the infection.
Thanks for sharing that Mags, how to make folk lose their appetite in one easy lesson.

Though rabbits with myxo don't look very nice, they are still edible so I just don't care about your miserable reply.
Old 13-10-2012, 16:54   #11
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I think I'd pay extra for a pig like that, but could I eat it afterwards knowing how intimate we had been?
Couldn't resist this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sucking pig.jpg (134.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 13-10-2012, 18:23   #12
God Member

Less where did you buy it from? wouldn't mind sticking one in my slow cooker
Old 13-10-2012, 18:30   #13

Poor little bunnies! Does it not taste like chicken?
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 18:45   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Poor little bunnies! Does it not taste like chicken?
Not really, it's more gamey. That's just a convenient half truth put about to encourage people to eat it. And I've still got a squirrel in my freezer...
Old 13-10-2012, 19:04   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Not really, it's more gamey. That's just a convenient half truth put about to encourage people to eat it. And I've still got a squirrel in my freezer...
If you leave it there much longer it will freeze to death!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..