Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2013, 11:30   #1
God Member

Robot cleaner

When I had the free 'spring clean' of my flat following the asbestos removal fiasco in Spring last year, I have been contemplating employing a domestic cleaner.

I kept putting it off because I enjoy being alone and I find the prospect of a weekly invasion daunting.

I have found the solution - a robot vac.
iRobot Roomba 780 review - Vacuum Cleaner - Trusted Reviews

It is pricey - £488 - but that is the equivalent of a human cleaner for 2 hours a week for 6 months, and the robot can operate numerous times a week.

It arrived yesterday and I have used it today after an overnight charge.
I have had one problem so far - it went under the wardrobes, where no hoover has been for years, and so the accumulated fluff filled the bin and it switched itself off, whilst still under there!

I cursed a bit getting it out but hopefully, now that a decade of fluff is gone, it won't happen again.

It isn't as noisy as a conventional vac so the 30 minutes it took to vac my lounge wasn't annoying.

I recommend it for us elderly disabled folk. If you are still capable of dusting, window cleaning and such like, this gadget does the 'heavy' job of vacuuming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2hpnBhMUFds

Last edited by MargaretR; 31-01-2013 at 11:39.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2013, 11:47   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Robot cleaner

ive watched the clip and facinated... are there any other robo things... like cleaning the toilet seat and after a man and putting the lid down!
MargaretR likes this.
daisychain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 12:14   #3
Beacon of light

I don't need to spend all that money......I have a 1943 model(though it is very difficult to get spares for it now) there is no problem with it getting stuck under items of furniture....it just ignores these and vacuums round them.......it has developed an irritating, grumbling whine recently, but a whack with a rolled up magazine silences it very efficiently(though only for a few minutes)....the good thing about this cleaner is that it washed up too!

Margaret...on a more serious note...I am glad you are pleased with your buy....and there is one thing about it......it won't fail to turn up because there is snow on the ground and no buses were running.
shillelagh and MargaretR like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 12:26   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisychain View Post
ive watched the clip and facinated... are there any other robo things... like cleaning the toilet seat and after a man and putting the lid down!
I have found seats that raise and lower, and seats that clean, but not any that do both

Easier to buy a whip and train him as you would with most wild untamed animals.

Old 31-01-2013, 13:06   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisychain View Post
You must have the wrong man
Old 31-01-2013, 15:00   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have found seats that raise and lower, and seats that clean, but not any that do both

Easier to buy a whip and train him as you would with most wild untamed animals.
Whats this constant moan from women about bog lids, if you want it down then put it down, we have to lift it up after you've been, you expend more energy moaning, than it does to just move the dammed thing, think youselves lucky they have hinged lids, the old long drops didn't.
Studio25 likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 15:10   #7
Full Member+

Sounds handy, but could I store the Death Star plans in its memory banks...?
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 17:19   #8
Resting in Peace

Looks very handy Margaret
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Whats this constant moan from women about bog lids, if you want it down then put it down, we have to lift it up after you've been...
I told my wife that if the seat is always up, then there are two explanations - we're either in perfect harmony and alternate our visits, or I go more than she does. If it's the former, I have to expend as much energy lifting the seat as she does putting it down. If it's the latter, I spend more time using the loo so my preferred lid orientation should take preference.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
I told my wife that if the seat is always up, then there are two explanations - we're either in perfect harmony and alternate our visits, or I go more than she does. If it's the former, I have to expend as much energy lifting the seat as she does putting it down. If it's the latter, I spend more time using the loo so my preferred lid orientation should take preference.
Were you a philosopher in another life Studio
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Were you a philosopher in another life Studio
Statistician... not quite the same.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30   #12
God Member

The point of having a toilet seat LID isn't just to have somewhere to sit when you dry your feet after a shower.

The LID should be DOWN to prevent fine contaminated water spray particles from permeating the bathroom air.

So when a man uses the toilet he should lift both seat and lid at the same time , and lower both afterwards.

When a woman uses the toilet she needs to lift the lid only, and lower it afterwards.

This is an equal division of effort between users.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:44   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
So when a man uses the toilet he should lift both seat and lid at the same time , and lower both afterwards.

When a woman uses the toilet she needs to lift the lid only, and lower it afterwards.

This is an equal division of effort between users.
Not really. The seat and lid weigh twice as much as the lid alone so you're asking him for twice as much effort.
If he lifts the seat and lid and leaves them up he's done as much work as she does lifting and lowering the lid alone.
Seems fair to me!

How did we get onto mens toilet habits?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49   #14
Beacon of light

Oh for goodness sake all of you, get a life.
It doesn't affect Margaret as she lives alone and can do what she chooses-the rest of us have to work out a healthy compromise.
Personally, I don't care what position the toilet seat is in.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Oh for goodness sake all of you, get a life.
It doesn't affect Margaret as she lives alone and can do what she chooses-the rest of us have to work out a healthy compromise.
Personally, I don't care what position the toilet seat is in.
You would if you sat on it when the seat was up.
jaysay and Studio25 like this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..