Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 18:59   #1
Fra

soundproofing advice

I need some advice on soundproofing my bedroom as the noise from the TV next door prevents sleep. I've been round to their house and the offending TV is downstairs against my living room wall. I had that wall soundproofed and it has worked a treat but I couldn't do the same job upstairs due to space and cost. Downstairs I had a timber frame built which was about an inch off the offending wall and was filled with acoustic rockwool. Acoustic boards were then fitted and skimmed over the top. Upstairs, I just had acoustic boards stuck to the wall and skimmed over. I can hear their TV clear as a bell up there and I think the sound must be traveling through the floor cavity or the small gap between the boards and the wall.

Asking them to turn the telly down has been tried as has the council noise abatement team, to no avail.

I'm at a loss with how to soundproof this room apart from lifting floorboards which would cause a lot of damage, both to the floor and the soundboards sitting on top

Any advice appreciated
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2012, 21:43   #2

Re: soundproofing advice

when i had the neighbours from hell it was suggested that I put my dehumidifier or fan on in my bedroom as the constant noise of the fan or dehumid. would drown out the noise of their tv or music. I used the dehumid at first, found that a little too noisy, so tried the fan, which got to say it does work to an extent, might be worth giving it a try.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 22:07   #3
God Member

egg boxes
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29   #4

The best way to sound proof a room is to fill the cavity with sand.or use an acoustic insulation such as Kingspan.
sausage butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 19:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausage butty View Post
The best way to sound proof a room is to fill the cavity with sand.or use an acoustic insulation such as Kingspan.

Dont ever use sand, it attracts damp, you would end up with alsorts of problems.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 19:49   #6
God Member

I have looked for soundproofing advice and found that there is a soundproofing mastic
Acoustic Mastic
which should be applied where the wall boards meet the floor.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 20:02   #7
Senior Member+

Ear Plugs!
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 21:00   #8
Fra

Thanks for all the advice so far. I think I need to put something in the floor cavity. Its just what and how.
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 21:20   #9
God Member

You might find something on that site I found
Soundproofing noisy neighbours with sound insulation. Soundproofing walls, acoustic insulation for ceilings & floors. Soundproof with Soundstop UK.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
Dont ever use sand, it attracts damp, you would end up with alsorts of problems.

I never knew it attracted damp! I only recommended it as i remember doing an experiment in school.
sausage butty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..