Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2014, 04:31   #1
God Member

Squirrels

I like the little critters, Iggy and Stumpy in particular; but, the little buggars insist on eating my plants. For the past couple of years I've kept them (almost) at bay with cayenne pepper. They have, however, become immune to it, or developed a liking for it ... they even sent me a note asking that I put out dishes of tequila Any suggestions on how I can keep them out of my plants? I don't want to hurt them, and I will continue to buy them peanuts, .... just something kinda eco-friendly that will do the job.

Oh, by the way, I'm not talking a dozen or so squirrels here ... there are hundreds of them on our street. and thousands in the 'hood
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2014, 08:32   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Squirrels

I thought the cats would keep them at bay E,you could always order wolfs pee online
Predator Urine- Original PredatorPee- Free Shipping- coyote, wolf, bobcat, mt. Lion, fox urine for deer,coyote, rat, mice problems and more

I hear blood meal or spicy chilli around the perimeter of your plants can work well too.
Good luck with the thieving little critters

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 10:14   #3
Full Member+

I think lion poo is a good all rounder!
Old 27-03-2014, 10:22   #4
Beacon of light

I like squirrels too.
Where Ma lives there are quite a few and recently I saw the tiniest little kit squirrel on her neighbours bird table....I had to look twice, I thought it was a mouse at first until I saw the bushy tail.
I have no better suggestions than those that have been offered by Accyexplorer and Westendlass.....I think I would let them eat my plants just for the pleasure of watching their antics(and of course I would buy them nuts too - crazy, I know...but I like animals).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 10:29   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Going back to the 80s used to watch em sat in Conservatory wi a brew, Was great in Winter,Clough that was out back, watching em fly from tree to tree, had red uns, but the greys eventually drove em out.little swines. Thats when i stopped the nuts fer those gits.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 27-03-2014, 12:49   #6
Beacon of light

I have only ever seen the red ones on the Isle of Wight, but never managed to get a picture of one...despite a lot of patience.
Old 27-03-2014, 12:54   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I thought the cats would keep them at bay E,you could always order wolfs pee online
Predator Urine- Original PredatorPee- Free Shipping- coyote, wolf, bobcat, mt. Lion, fox urine for deer,coyote, rat, mice problems and more

I hear blood meal or spicy chilli around the perimeter of your plants can work well too.
Good luck with the thieving little critters
My cats don't go out ... esp. in winter there are predators out there that like a good feed of cat: coyotes and fishers mainly, and last January a couple of wolves were seen in the neighbourhood. .... and of course, automobiles. My cats aren't street smart, and since LB got killed right outside my home a couple of years ago, I'm real protective of the useless little buggers.

I might try a mix of the chili, cayenne, and white pepper.

If only JRTs could climb trees
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 13:00   #8
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
They wish they could too. Or at least the ones we have had always wanted to get up the trees after the squirrels.
Old 27-03-2014, 17:42   #9
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
My cats don't go out ... esp. in winter there are predators out there that like a good feed of cat: coyotes and fishers mainly, and last January a couple of wolves were seen in the neighbourhood. .... and of course, automobiles. My cats aren't street smart, and since LB got killed right outside my home a couple of years ago, I'm real protective of the useless little buggers.

I might try a mix of the chili, cayenne, and white pepper.

A friend of mine has recently had a problem with moles in her garden, about twenty mole hills have sprung up all over it. After asking advice about nature-friendly solutions,she too was advised to use cayenne pepper. I'll have to find out if it's worked.
Old 28-03-2014, 09:17   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Going back to the 80s used to watch em sat in Conservatory wi a brew, Was great in Winter,Clough that was out back, watching em fly from tree to tree, had red uns, but the greys eventually drove em out.little swines. Thats when i stopped the nuts fer those gits.
So the squirrels were sat in your conservatory wi a brew?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 09:18   #11
Senior Member+

I used to see red squirrels at the back of the bowling green in Bullough Park in the fifties and round were Margaret P's Ma lived.
Old 28-03-2014, 10:10   #12
Full Member+

I can remember sitting in a park in York in the nineties eating a sandwich and hand feeding an unusually brave squirrel. It was obviously used to people, never seen one that friendly since though. I think they're great and love watching them.We occasionally get them in the garden but you can always spot them over at Foxhill nature reserve.
Old 28-03-2014, 10:11   #13
Full Member+

Grey ones, that is.
Old 28-03-2014, 12:20   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I used to see red squirrels at the back of the bowling green in Bullough Park in the fifties and round were Margaret P's Ma lived.
I think I vaguely remember them being up Bullogh Park, but then thought it must be my imagination. All Grey ones near Ma's house now. She's still in the same place!
Old 28-03-2014, 12:36   #15
Senior Member+

Squirrel.JPG
Just to remind everyone, this is a red squirrel. The pic was taken last year on a holiday in Scotland
Eric and Accyexplorer like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..