Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2014, 18:28   #46
Senior Member+

Re: The Last Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post

Thanks, very interesting, my Lad did say that there was also a fuselage section at Duxford.
The parts location was interesting - possibly some ommisions, or parts have been moved - there were quite a significant number at The RAF College Cranwell in '71, some were actually used in demonstrations to our course.
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2014, 19:02   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Thanks, very interesting, my Lad did say that there was also a fuselage section at Duxford.
The parts location was interesting - possibly some ommisions, or parts have been moved - there were quite a significant number at The RAF College Cranwell in '71, some were actually used in demonstrations to our course.
Here's a good read for you Mr Y

TSR2: Britain's Lost Bomber - Damien Burke - Google Books
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 00:01   #48
Senior Member+

One of the items that really caught my interest was the windscreen - gold plated (can't remember how many microns), but it was incredible as it looked different from varying angles, we were told that it was to ensure the windscreens remained free of mist and ice, as well as giving some visual protection from thermo-nuclear "events" - guess that is the forerunner of heated and water sensor windscreens on cars.
Old 28-09-2014, 09:30   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
One of the items that really caught my interest was the windscreen - gold plated (can't remember how many microns), but it was incredible as it looked different from varying angles, we were told that it was to ensure the windscreens remained free of mist and ice, as well as giving some visual protection from thermo-nuclear "events" - guess that is the forerunner of heated and water sensor windscreens on cars.
Nasa coated the visors of their astronauts suits for the same reason Barrie.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 19:55   #50
Senior Member+

This is thought to be the last ever Vulcan-Victor formation. The picture was taken by Neil Cottle from a Hercules in 1991. I understand there is one at Duxford (Victor), which is being considered for restoring to airworthiness
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vulcan-Victor.jpg (13.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-10-2014, 21:48   #51
Senior Member+

They siad at Southport airshow that best they can hope for is the Vulcan will fly to the end of next years air show season, after that (and maybe before) the engines will need too much work to continue.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:48   #52

These were taken while I was on HASLINGDEN MOOR,they flew quite low past me and my mate.

Last edited by jacksnipe; 12-10-2014 at 08:51.
jacksnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:02   #53

here are the images,taken in 2012.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LB.jpg (259.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg LAN-BOMB.jpg (249.8 KB, 10 views)
jacksnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 16:24   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
They siad at Southport airshow that best they can hope for is the Vulcan will fly to the end of next years air show season, after that (and maybe before) the engines will need too much work to continue.
Sadly this is the case. Great effort is going into fund raising to prolong the life.
Old 07-11-2014, 19:57   #55
Senior Member+

Slight wander but thought someone may be interested in seeing this. Obviously a composite but still classical
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REF Aircraft.jpg (23.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-11-2014, 22:28   #56
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

All iconic British Aircraft, but missing the "Lanc".
Old 08-11-2014, 16:48   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
All iconic British Aircraft, but missing the "Lanc".
All are fighter aircraft DinG although some (all except the Meteor & Lightning I think), were used in a tactical ground attack role i.e. Fighter/Bombers, whereas the Lancaster were bombers pure and simple.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:33   #58
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
All are fighter aircraft DinG although some (all except the Meteor & Lightning I think), were used in a tactical ground attack role i.e. Fighter/Bombers, whereas the Lancaster were bombers pure and simple.
Aye Barrie, I did think of saying fighters but as you noted some were also designated ground attack roles.

Still, classic Aircraft all.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 09-11-2014 at 08:36.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 16:26   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Aye Barrie, I did think of saying fighters but as you noted some were also designated ground attack roles.

Still, classic Aircraft all.
I have been told that the Meteor was in fact used in the ground attack role, but the primary function of all of them was fighter/interceptor. As you say all classics and I never tire of looking at such great examples of British design and engineering.
Old 22-12-2014, 06:48   #60
Senior Member+

Although a slight wander, something to keep the young, and not so young, entertained over Christmas
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/upload...r-cut-out3.pdf
gpick24 likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..