Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 13:36   #1
God Member

Tickly cough

I've been feeling pretty naff for the last few days, got a cold and one hell of a bad cough, i've tried all sorts for it but it's really tickly and annoying, it's making my eyes water every time i cough

can anyone please recommend anything for it? (keep it clean please) tried honey lemon and glycerin (which usually does the trick) but nothings working, i don't need to be any more doped up than i already am either
Old 03-03-2011, 14:45   #2

Re: Tickly cough

Copious amounts of lager seem to work well for me. In fact i can feel a little cough coming on now.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 14:50   #3
Beacon of light

Shaz, I know you will probably laugh at this but give it a try...........put a liberal coating of Vicks, you know, the kind that you rub on your chest to clear the tubes(or similar...it doesn't have to be the branded stuff) on your feet...cover with a pair of socks and you should find that your cough will improve...this is especially useful at bedtime.
I don't know how it works, I only know that it does.

This bit of information comes from a study done at a Canadian University, it found that it was twice as effective in stopping a tickly cough as many of the branded cough mixtures........it can be safely used for children too.

If your tickly cough doesn't get better though, you should pay a visit to the Doc......it may be you have an infection and need antibiotics.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 17:51   #4
God Member

wow, thats impressive, i'll try that when i go to bed, thanx Marg
Old 03-03-2011, 17:59   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Shaz, I know you will probably laugh at this but give it a try...........put a liberal coating of Vicks, you know, the kind that you rub on your chest to clear the tubes(or similar...it doesn't have to be the branded stuff) on your feet...cover with a pair of socks and you should find that your cough will improve...this is especially useful at bedtime.
I don't know how it works, I only know that it does.

This bit of information comes from a study done at a Canadian University, it found that it was twice as effective in stopping a tickly cough as many of the branded cough mixtures........it can be safely used for children too.

If your tickly cough doesn't get better though, you should pay a visit to the Doc......it may be you have an infection and need antibiotics.
I had a mate Margaret who used to recommend the liberal use of vicks for a bad chest especially to any young ladies who were suffering oh by the way his name was Vic
Old 03-03-2011, 18:48   #6

Someone told me about the Vick on the soles of the feet a few weeks ago and I can confirm it does work
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 19:15   #7
Senior Member+

How strange that it works, I want a tickly cough now to try it!!!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 19:17   #8
God Member

come and stand next to me for a while. you'll soon catch it
Old 03-03-2011, 20:18   #9
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
Someone told me about the Vick on the soles of the feet a few weeks ago and I can confirm it does work
If you were in Home Bargains in Accrington and was told this by a total stranger......it was me!

I pass on this bit of information to anyone I hear, with what sounds like a tickly cough....and I was telling a lady in H&B a few weeks ago about this tip.

Heth don't wish for it...it isn't at all pleasant....unless you like a rainbow round your gusset, that is

Shaz I hope it works for you....if not, it is the docs for you!
Old 03-03-2011, 20:49   #10
Senior Member+

Ahhhhh no I am glad I am not ill at the mo Marg!!!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 20:53   #11
Beacon of light

Most Winters I get a bout of bronchitis.......and frequently am left with a tickly cough...this treatment has always worked for me.
It is safer for the kidlidids too......well, safer than most cough medicines(I am reluctant to say anything is truly safe for children
Old 03-03-2011, 20:54   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I had a mate Margaret who used to recommend the liberal use of vicks for a bad chest especially to any young ladies who were suffering oh by the way his name was Vic
Yes John......I can imagine!
Old 03-03-2011, 21:38   #13
I am Banned

Laxative tablets can also cure a cough, once swallowed you dare'nt cough.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 21:59   #14
Senior Member+

i put vicks on graces feet when she has a cough,usually works... i'm just getting over a cold,i lost my voice for a week! its pretty rubbish when u cant take anything for it :-(
Posted via Mobile Device
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:46   #15
God Member

can i just say that it also works with olbas oil, couldn't find the vicks

thankyou Marg

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..