Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2009, 19:40   #31
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Travel Sickness Remedies

Oh shut up stop picking on me Boo hoo
i dont read from the begining i read the end bits!!
Old 28-03-2009, 14:47   #32
God Member

Rohypnol

you wont even remember teh journey and you may also get lucky

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 17:10   #33
God Member

pmsfl, you tit
Old 09-02-2012, 18:17   #34
God Member

still suffering badly from this, haven't taken any tablets since i got the ones from Boots that made me feel weird....my mate told me she'd read in a magazine that holding a potato in your hand whilst traveling makes it go away....it didn't, those travel bands aren't working for me either, it's getting a bit ott now...36 and travel sick just aint right
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:28   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
still suffering badly from this, haven't taken any tablets since i got the ones from Boots that made me feel weird....my mate told me she'd read in a magazine that holding a potato in your hand whilst traveling makes it go away....it didn't, those travel bands aren't working for me either, it's getting a bit ott now...36 and travel sick just aint right
Looks like the girl weren't meant to travel Shaz
Old 09-02-2012, 18:36   #36
God Member

I had it as a child and just thinking about it now I began to relive the nausea. You have my deepest sympathy.

I tried searching a herbal remedy for you and it came up with ginger and mint, which have been mentioned already.

If you have only tried ginger biscuits and polo mints, you haven't given them a fair trial. Try chewing a piece of root ginger for maximum effect.

I had to endure some strange rituals, such as wrapping brown paper round my belly next to my skin and sitting on brown paper - didn't work

Last edited by MargaretR; 09-02-2012 at 18:38.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:55   #37
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I had it as a child and just thinking about it now I began to relive the nausea. You have my deepest sympathy.

I tried searching a herbal remedy for you and it came up with ginger and mint, which have been mentioned already.

If you have only tried ginger biscuits and polo mints, you haven't given them a fair trial. Try chewing a piece of root ginger for maximum effect.

I had to endure some strange rituals, such as wrapping brown paper round my belly next to my skin and sitting on brown paper - didn't work
Crystallised root ginger is brilliant for nausea and queasiness.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:53   #38
God Member

It's a different kind of nausea though Susie, its very strange, can't really explain it, my dad has just ordered me some avomine tablets off Amazon, i used them as a child so we'll see how they go
Old 09-02-2012, 19:59   #39

Dramamine, Driminate, Gravol, Gravamin, Vomex, Vertirosan, are all commercially available over the counter anti nausea and motion sickness treatments. Your local naming convention may differ. They are all derivatives of Dimenhydrinate so only take the recommended dose. Good luck and keep traveling.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 20:38   #40
Beacon of light

Avomine is good and so is Phenergan...they both contain Promethazine( I don't think you would be able to buy Phenergan over the counter you used to be able to, but for some reason now Pharmacists are not keen to dispense without a script from a doctor).
Shaz, if you have to travel why don't you see your doctor...or the nurse at your practice and get them to prescribe something for you?
If you have tried all the other home remedies and they haven't worked, then it would make sense to get a script.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:47   #41
God Member

Thanx Marg, you're a star, it's not a case of having to travel, it's a case of wanting to travel, i'm fine on trains, it's just on the bus and in a car, i don't go to the docs very often, my dad ordered the avomine simply because i have had them before, a long time ago like but it's worth a try
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54   #42
Beacon of light

They should work but they will probably make you sleepy....so I hope someone else is going to be doing the driving

As for the sickness bands, if they don't work, then they aren't in the right position(or aren't snug/tight enough). You need to move them up a little bit or down a little bit.
One of the anaesthetists that I worked with, was absolutely brilliant at detemining where pressure should be applied to stop nausea and vomiting. We had a lady who had persistent pregnancy sickness and he came along and showeed her where to apply pressure........her nausea and vomiting stopped just like that (click of the fingers).........from then on, she was able to control the probelm herself and go home.
It was amazing.

Hope you get sorted Shaz.
Old 10-02-2012, 13:54   #43
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Yikes!!! When have they taken Phenergan off general sale??

I bought some for Sparks a couple of years ago and they have been absolutely invaluable. Fair enough, they do knock him out but believe me, he needs it on flights. I hope he's plenty left.....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 15:01   #44
Beacon of light

I haven't been able to buy them over the counter for at least a couple of years. I now get mine off the internet........I don't use them very often.
I was told it is down to the Pharmacist in the branch of the chemists which makes the decision as to whether they will sell them as OTC meds.....and believe me, most don't. They want you to go and get a script for them.
Old 15-02-2012, 17:18   #45
God Member

Erm....i got the avomine tablets today, took one at 4pm and now i feel stoned lol.....think i'll only take half next time

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..