Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2009, 07:37   #1
God Member

Travel Sickness Remedies

For as long as i can remember, i've always been travel sick, cars, buses, coaches, boats etc (but not on trains)

when i was a child my mum used to get some tablets off the doctor for me called 'avomine' and they used to work for me

i went to Darwen on the bus the other day and i felt really sick by the time i got there, my sister said i went that white she thought i was going to pass out, now i dont get sick everytime i go on a bus, just sometimes...anyway, we went into Boots in Darwen and i asked if they had anything for travel sickness, the nice lady behind the counter gave me something called 'travel calm'....so i read the leaflet and took one....OH MY GOD...within 10 minutes i felt like i was stoned, this lasted for about 3 hours, my mouth went dry and my eyes went funny, but i didnt feel ill on the bus journey home, i'm not sure which effect i liked the most, the sickness or the stoned feeling

anyway, i wont be taking them again

can anyone please tell me if there is anything out there that can prevent my travel sickness? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE
Old 23-03-2009, 09:34   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Travel Sickness Remedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
For as long as i can remember, i've always been travel sick, cars, buses, coaches, boats etc (but not on trains)

when i was a child my mum used to get some tablets off the doctor for me called 'avomine' and they used to work for me

i went to Darwen on the bus the other day and i felt really sick by the time i got there, my sister said i went that white she thought i was going to pass out, now i dont get sick everytime i go on a bus, just sometimes...anyway, we went into Boots in Darwen and i asked if they had anything for travel sickness, the nice lady behind the counter gave me something called 'travel calm'....so i read the leaflet and took one....OH MY GOD...within 10 minutes i felt like i was stoned, this lasted for about 3 hours, my mouth went dry and my eyes went funny, but i didnt feel ill on the bus journey home, i'm not sure which effect i liked the most, the sickness or the stoned feeling

anyway, i wont be taking them again

can anyone please tell me if there is anything out there that can prevent my travel sickness? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE
When I was flying, (as in going on holiday Neil) A bottle of white wine did it for me, but they wouldn't let you on board these days
Old 23-03-2009, 10:22   #3
God Member

Ginger is meant to be very good, nibble ginger biscuits(i'd have said nuts but you know what Neil is liek )

Some people swear by magnets on wrist bands ( for travel and morning sickness)

It usually also helps to focus on the horizon outside the vehicle i.e.on something known to be 'static' so your brain can work out what motion is actually being applied to your body. If all you can see is the already moving vehicle your brain gets confused as your eyes tell you you aren't moving but your balance says you are.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 10:45   #4
God Member

thats the thing Ian, i HAVE TO look infront whenever i travel, cant be doing with people yapping on in my ear, i have to concentrate, can't read or send texts on the bus either, Reece knows that if he sits behind me on the bus not to talk to me, bless him

i'll get some of those wrist thingies, and stock up on ginger biscuits
Old 23-03-2009, 10:53   #5
God Member

Travel remedy.... Dont travel!
Old 23-03-2009, 11:05   #6
God Member

i cant NOT travel Derek, it would drive me mad staying in Blackburn all the time
Old 23-03-2009, 11:24   #7
God Member

That, I can understand lol, I wouldnt like to be stuck in Blackburn all the time either, mind you, was stuck in Darwen all day Saturday, and again today, due to showroom staff being off!
Old 23-03-2009, 16:13   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
That, I can understand lol, I wouldnt like to be stuck in Blackburn all the time either, mind you, was stuck in Darwen all day Saturday, and again today, due to showroom staff being off!
My deepest Sympathies Derek
Old 23-03-2009, 20:45   #9
Senior Member+

You can still get Avomine, just ask in a pharmacy and they will order it in for you, it's not usual stock but still available.
Old 24-03-2009, 13:57   #10
mez
God Member

ive introduced quite a few of my friends who are travel sick to the easyness of the travel bands..& they love um shaz i can lend you a pair to try if you want. pm me hun .
Old 24-03-2009, 14:00   #11
Senior Member+

Is there a herbal / homeopathic remedy you can try (seem to think that on the members daughter is studying that kind of thing and may be able to guide you as to what works - may be wrong though)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 16:13   #12
God Member

Golden Wonder Cheese & Onion crisps always did it for me when i was a kid.............. Strange i know
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 16:42   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
ive introduced quite a few of my friends who are travel sick to the easyness of the travel bands..& they love um shaz i can lend you a pair to try if you want. pm me hun .

just had another accywebber here saying to use those Mary, i'll buy some, not bothered how much they cost, i know you lent yours to Slinky when she went to Spain and she said they where excellent, they work on pressure points dont they?
Old 24-03-2009, 22:35   #14
I am Banned

can anyone please tell me if there is anything out there that can prevent my travel sickness? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE [/quote]

Its mostly caused by looking out of the window at your side, the images are flashing past to fast for your brain to register them properly.

I had it as a kid, told to sit at the front and look straight ahead, sickness gone. I also had the same sitution fishing off a boat from Fleetwood, when I looked down to bait my hooks, felt queasy, looked at the horizon and it went away.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 09:53   #15
God Member

The most effective tablets I've tried are called 'JoyRides', they don't make you feel drowsy & can be taken either before the journey or if & when you start to feel queasy.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..