Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2007, 17:59   #1
God Member

Wasps nest

What do you do if you discover that you have a wasps nest in your loft?

We're pretty sure it's empty but not sure what to do with it!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2007, 18:07   #2
God Member

Re: Wasps nest

Got this on a Google search
Normally there is no reason to remove an old dead nest. However, if you wish to do so then it should be done carefully and only when you are sure there are no more wasps flying in or out. We would recommend wearing gloves to remove the nest and to have a quick exit route, just in case. A recently dead wasp can still sting you if it is squashed
There is no reason why it can't then go in the bin. That site says that they rebuild a nest next year and wont reuse the one you have if you leave it there, but may build a new one next to it
Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited by MargaretR; 30-09-2007 at 18:09.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 18:09   #3
God Member

Gosh, thanks for that - I should have tried google first!

Has anyone ever had a go at moving one?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 18:24   #4
God Member

If it's active (of they come back next year) get the council round to remove it, they charge you about £20 but it saves you getting stung

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 18:26   #5
God Member

THIS is a good one to have a look at, is it like that one, didn't realise they were so big

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49   #6
mez
God Member

very interesting .........now i know why i could trim my hedge this year without getting charged at with a load of wasps like last year.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:46   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I have read that wasps will not reuse an old nest so it should not be a problem. How big is the nest? Is it one of those that hangs from the roof like a ball? When I look in my loft I often see small old nests, about as big as a golf ball. I think they must have been abandoned unsuccessful nests.

When we moved in here at first the strange old owners had done nothing about a very big nest. It was in between the slates and under boarding in our out building (out building make's me sound about 95 ). I used B&Q wasp nest destroyer on it. It is a foam you spray near the nest entrance. The wasps carry the poison into the nest and it kills them. You can get it as a powder as well. This nest was at least 2 foot square and about 3 inches thick within the roof.
Old 01-10-2007, 18:15   #8
Resting in Peace

Remember reading this Gayle whilst I was on holiday:-

Summer's last sting: why our bizarre weather has brought wasps out in vast numbers | the Daily Mail

Love the closing sentence...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 15:24   #9
Give, give, give member

We've just had a swarm, like something out of a bad B-movie horror film.

Thousands, and thousands of wasps.

Apparently they were here this morning, and have just come back.

All the neighbours ran inside screaming, to close any open windows.

I thought it was funny.

Though it's put an end to my sunbathing, now a big black cloud has blocked out this rare appearance of the sun.

Typical.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 16:04   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
We've just had a swarm, like something out of a bad B-movie horror film.

Thousands, and thousands of wasps.

Apparently they were here this morning, and have just come back.

All the neighbours ran inside screaming, to close any open windows.

I thought it was funny.

Though it's put an end to my sunbathing, now a big black cloud has blocked out this rare appearance of the sun.

Typical.

Never heard of wasps swarming, honey bees do when a new queen is born, or the brood gets too big, some of the present day honey bees are crossed with Italian bees and they can look like wasps.
If it is a bee swarm you need to contact HBC, it won't be me that comes out, I'm no longer on the list. Honey Bees are protected by law and only a bee keeper can destroy a nest or a swarm
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 22-05-2012 at 16:10.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 17:42   #11
Resting in Peace

I keeps well away from wasps, they're nasty little blighters, they sting just for fun
Old 23-05-2012, 12:55   #12
God Member

We had a nest in the back wall of our house last year. The guys on the farm pumped diesel in to try and kill them but it didn't work though thousands died. The walls were literally humming - some bright spark (who shall remain nameless but is my other half) decided to close their entrance in the bricks and they started coming in the house in the evening crawling towards the light along the pipes in the heating stystem and coming through cracks round the radiators (it's an old house and Italian plumbing is not noted for being good).
For three days, till we worked out where they were getting in and siliconed up the cracks, it was a bit like living in a Hitchcock movie -shades of "The Birds". In the end we called out the experts who dealt with them.
This morning we had a strange phenomenon with Ants -it is the first warm day after 3 days rain and the path outside all the houses here was literally dark brown with swarming ants. After a while the live ones disappeared and there were just loads of dead ones left -looks like something had happened and they were bringing out their dead!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 13:03   #13
God Member

Ant behaviour changes have been linked to eathquakes ?-

Ants-Earthquakes = yes

CAN ANTS PREDICT EARTHQUAKES? =no

Last edited by MargaretR; 23-05-2012 at 13:06.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 13:18   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Ant behaviour changes have been linked to eathquakes ?-

Ants-Earthquakes = yes

CAN ANTS PREDICT EARTHQUAKES? =no
Now that's really interesting Margaret -hadn't thought of a connection to the earthquakes we've just had. There really were loads of them out this morning -took me ages to sweep away all the little corpses! They weren't just outside the houses either -noticed a lot where we all park our cars too -will have a snoop outside and see if there are any more...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 14:00   #15
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Now that's really interesting Margaret -hadn't thought of a connection to the earthquakes we've just had. There really were loads of them out this morning -took me ages to sweep away all the little corpses! They weren't just outside the houses either -noticed a lot where we all park our cars too -will have a snoop outside and see if there are any more...
The ant phenomenon could be due to their mating ritual - which can depend on weather conditions. I've seen this myself when we lived in the country but it's usually a bit later in the year over here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/...ne/7525028.stm

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..