Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2013, 19:53   #1
Junior Member+

Where to exercise my dog

Hi,

We recently adopted a retired greyhound and although greyhounds are happy with a couple of good walks a day, it would be nice to let her off the lead and let her have a good run.

As an ex-racer, she's had no real normal dog training, and she didn't even know her name when she first came. Training her is going well, she's getting to know her name but it would speed things up immensely and be much more enjoyable if I could let her off somewhere reasonably secure, let her have a run and practice her recall.

Has anyone any ideas of anywhere I could take her? Anywhere in East Lancs would do.

Thanks!
mccloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2013, 21:27   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Where to exercise my dog

I would get recall sorted first, treats and a whistle are a good idea, sausages worked for me but whatever she likes best. Lots of places locally, Jacksons farm is close to me so we go there regular, up the coppice and along the canal are all good for letting them have a good run.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 21:28   #3
Senior Member+

If you check out the "today in pictures" thread (its in the accy photo section) there are umpteen walks I have photographed as part of my day, and walks by many other members as well, if there are any you would like a bit more information on send me a pm and will be glad to explain in more detail.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 21:29   #4
Senior Member+

My neighbour who used to have salukis used to go in the field up the lane from us and let his dogs off.There are no cattle or animals in there
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 22:29   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I don't know of any secure places in Hyndburn to let your dog off the lead if you're worried he will run off. Creating a fenced, off lead dog area in Hyndburn was talked about a few years ago but the idea didn't get past the talking about stage.

I know of a couple but they are not close - Warrington and Widnes. I have never been to the Widnes one but the Warrington one at Orford Park is great. At weekends it is often taken over by Beagles. You have a slight problem as only 3 dogs have escaped from Orford Park (I know a regular)

1. A Beagle who found a gap under the fence (a few of us took our dogs for a walk last year and filled the gaps in with soil supplied by the Council.

2. A pup walked through the gaps in the railings.

3. A greyhound jumped over the high fence around the area.

As already mentioned you need to be certain of your dogs recall, until then try one of these 50' or 100' training lead from ebay DOG&HORSE TRAINING LEADS 5FT,10FT,15FT,20FT.25FT.30FT.40FT.50FT.65FT.80FT.1 00FT, | eBay

I know a lot of people who use them - red ones show up well on grass

Last edited by Neil; 17-08-2013 at 22:32.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 07:43   #6
Senior Member+

The trouble with long leads , they trail through all the mud and dog poo. There is a guy based in Higham, Anthony Holden he has a secure field he uses for dog training.

Burnley & Blackburn, Dog Training and Behaviour, Residential Boot Camp Lancashire Clitheroe, Accrington, Colne, Nelson, Darwen, Preston
Old 18-08-2013, 10:12   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
The trouble with long leads , they trail through all the mud and dog poo. There is a guy based in Higham, Anthony Holden he has a secure field he uses for dog training.

Burnley & Blackburn, Dog Training and Behaviour, Residential Boot Camp Lancashire Clitheroe, Accrington, Colne, Nelson, Darwen, Preston

Yes they do but you can always check the area you are training in for little surprises and I suggested it for recall training not taking your dog for a walk
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 18-08-2013, 16:43   #8
Senior Member+

your correct there Neil. A dog is not under proper control on a long lead for walkies.
Old 18-08-2013, 17:56   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't know of any secure places in Hyndburn to let your dog off the lead if you're worried he will run off. Creating a fenced, off lead dog area in Hyndburn was talked about a few years ago but the idea didn't get past the talking about stage.
The off-leash parks are great. We have several in Kingston.

https://www.cityofkingston.ca/reside...rails/offleash

They are popular all accross Canada ... of course, we have the luxury of having lots of space.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 18:37   #10
God Member

maybe take her on Highams field at the bottom of Thorneyholme road, bags of space and if you go far enough you will be away from the road
Old 18-08-2013, 18:54   #11
God Member

Great thing about off-leash parks is that you get to mingle with other dog lovers ... you can also share experiences, get tips, and give them. It turns out that my JRT is not the only deaf dog in the neighbourhood. Dogs can make dog buddies, and new human friends ... it's a great atmosphere ... there's shade, and bbqs, fresh water on tap, and lots of bins for the baggies
Old 18-08-2013, 18:59   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Great thing about off-leash parks is that you get to mingle with other dog lovers ... you can also share experiences, get tips, and give them. It turns out that my JRT is not the only deaf dog in the neighbourhood. Dogs can make dog buddies, and new human friends ... it's a great atmosphere ... there's shade, and bbqs, fresh water on tap, and lots of bins for the baggies

I haven't been to the one in Warrington for a while because I get bored just stood about talking, I prefer to be out walking with the dogs and talking to friends at the same time.
Old 18-08-2013, 20:25   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I haven't been to the one in Warrington for a while because I get bored just stood about talking, I prefer to be out walking with the dogs and talking to friends at the same time.
Ok. But the off-leash at the M. Centre is a lot like a family. The only more-or-less boring time is at 3:00 am when you are the only three there.
Old 19-08-2013, 14:41   #14
God Member

Here's something for dog lovers:

Dog lovers more likely to have one-night stands | Fort Erie Times

I don't know where that leaves me ... I gots me two dogs and five cats
Old 20-08-2013, 18:25   #15

don't know if you live anywhere near ossy but they do training classes in the community centre on harvey street on wednesday nights basic training
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..