Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Springhill Spot (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f76/)
-   -   Exchange St Phone Kiosk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f76/exchange-st-phone-kiosk-2845.html)

Caz 01-08-2003 17:13

Exchange St Phone Kiosk

One of the forum members, Markinaccy, contacted BT about the problem with the phone box at the junction of Charter St And Exchange St.

He received this reply:

Sorry to hear about all the problems the kiosk seems to attract. This particular box is classed as a Universal Service Obligation kiosk as it is quite a distance to the next nearest boxes. This means that we could not remove it without a letter from a local councillor or MP, with proof that the householders in the streets around want it removed or resited.We will then send a siting officer around to check this box and the others nearby, if he agrees to its removal it will be at least 6 months before it is actually physically removed from the site. We have to put a 42 day notice in the kiosk and with the local council to advise about the proposed removal and to see if there is any objection. Only once this has passed can we arrange for the power to be disconnected and for the removal of the box.

In the meantime I have arranged for the bell to be muffled on the payphone, although this may take a few days. This means that you shouldn't be able to hear it unless you are actually inside the box. It wont stop people being noisy I'm afraid, but hopefully will solve part of the problem.

If you have any questions, please give me a ring.

Thanks

Mark Cullinane
Payphone Customer Services
0800 661610

Partial success at least! Well done Markinaccy!

Caz 02-08-2003 19:09

Re: Exchange St Phone Kiosk

Just shows what one person can do!

Imagine if we all got together over an issue.

Bordercollie 02-08-2003 19:36

Brilliant result, it shows that at least people are prepared to listen.

Caz 13-08-2003 16:44

Ring tone on Charter St phone muffled.

Nice one BT. And well done Markinaccy!

Dave 13-08-2003 20:49

What's it like to have POWER....LOL

rogue 30-08-2006 22:24

i lived in springhill for years..oh and worked (TML plastics for 10 yrs) and i always saw glass on the floor ,,they just replaced it for them to break again

just dont bother to replace it,,,let the wind and rain get to them and people will stop using it,,,,,98% of people have mobiles now anyway

entwisi 31-08-2006 06:51

Why does a payphone need a ringer anyway? surely just a light that flashes would be enough for someone waiting for a callback?

Those canopys don't offer any shelter for the user, just the phone itself.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't cheaper for BT to give everyone a cheap basic mobile than it costs to run the payphone network in this country, unfortunately iirc they are legally bound to do so.