Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Springhill Spot (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f76/)
-   -   new springhill school (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f76/new-springhill-school-3561.html)

mez 27-03-2004 08:06

new springhill school

the new school opens after the easter holidays, still not sure what they are doing with the old one yet, has anybody any ideas as to what might be happening to it ?

Owd Bert 27-03-2004 09:29

Re: new springhill school

I understand it is to be demolished. This info was given to me last week at the open-night at the old school.

Caz 27-03-2004 10:13

The older part of the school building is being demolished. The newer Annex hopefully is going to be put to some sort of community use.

mez 28-03-2004 14:27

yea but wot are they going to do with the land wot the school stood on /// yet another car park?

Caz 28-03-2004 15:02

Think the latest idea is to put the the play area there, (the one that was originally supposed to go on Fairfield St). Not too sure though.
they've changed their ideas so many times, I've lost track...

mez 28-03-2004 15:05

mmm nothing new about that then cazz

becki* 13-05-2004 11:10

i used to go to springhill school and i heard off an old techer that they are knocking it down!! did anyone else used to go? do you remember their centenary in the paper? i was in that picture it was only 4-5 yrs ago! i dont want them to knock it down it was a brill school!

WillowTheWhisp 09-06-2004 16:43

It still is a brill school Becki and the new school building is even briller. Come and have a look when there's an open day.

Mick 21-08-2004 10:39

9 Attachment(s)
i was asked to put these pics on for you

mez 21-08-2004 11:29

thanks mick nice one:thumbs up: shows the school in the process of being built, ive got one or two of when its been finished, sorry not developed them yet

Bazf 21-08-2004 18:18

Sorry to ask but are they building the new school on the site of the old one or somewhere else? My sister went to springhill juniors when we lived on Richmond Rd and I used to go to the Boys Brigade across the street at Springhill methodists, is that still open?

WillowTheWhisp 21-08-2004 20:09

The new school is fully operational. It has been built on the opposite side of Exchange Street to the old school. Obviously the children still had to attend the old school whilst the new one was being built. It's very modern compared to the old building(s) with computers in every classroom and interactive whiteboards instead of the old chalkboards. The hall has excellent acoustics - meaning you can actually hear what the children say in assemblies without them having to shout and their little voices getting lost up in the height of the ceiling. The lighting is partially provided by reflective tubes which come down through the roof to bring in the daylight, very impressive.

Reception, Infants and Juniors are now all in the one building. Previously reception class was way over in Hannah Street and one of the Junior classes was housed in a "temporary" prefab hut in the schoolyard.

How long ago did your sister go to Springhill Juniors? Do you know who was head teacher then?

Springhill Methodists is still there, but that's also in a modern building adjacent to the old church which is now a snooker hall or something similar.

Bazf 22-08-2004 02:01

No idea who the head was as I was at Rhyddings at the time and of course you took no notice of your younger sister or her friends. I think she started in 67 till about 71 I could be wrong, as for the Methodists the old church was a carpet warehouse of something and we were in the building next door but were told "its only temporary" just think that was 35yrs ago!

WillowTheWhisp 22-08-2004 16:43

I remember it being a carpet warehouse. The building the church currently occupies looks too good to have ever been temporary. I wonder if it's the same one.

joaner3 03-01-2006 19:12

Just found this thread. I was over in Accy last May and my brother and I took a trip round the old neighbourhood. Yes, Springhill has finally been torn down. I was a bit sad as I enjoyed my time there. I was from the Arncliffe Ave area. The Headmaster at the time was Mr. Berry. and I remember Miss. Hindle and Miss Kellett. Also, Mrs. Taylor was my next door neighbour.
Theres not much left of the "Woods" now. I used to spend hours playing in them.

Joan