Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Springhill Spot (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f76/)
-   -   Anyone from Fern Gore? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f76/anyone-from-fern-gore-5255.html)

cashman 07-07-2010 17:45

Re: Anyone from Fern Gore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancahirehotpot (Post 826948)
I am from ferngore and most of my family still live there. GREG SMALLEY infact one of my many bro's has now got the jenny (Graham)

Hey ya aint Chris's brother are ya?:)

james 19-11-2010 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik Dickinson (Post 158805)
as i remember the playing fields were commonly known as the border between Spring Hill and Fern Gore

Do you mean the old Grammer School playing fields where there used to be a fair every year?

JCB 19-11-2010 18:45

1 Attachment(s)
They're drilling for oil there now Jim .

james 19-11-2010 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 862757)

Very good, I did laugh. But what are they actually doing?
Cheers, Jim.

heth 20-11-2010 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 862757)

Did it snow yesterday?!! :D

JCB 20-11-2010 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 862791)
Very good, I did laugh. But what are they actually doing?
Cheers, Jim.

I took the photo a couple of winters ago .

There was a problem with flooding in the new houses on the left of Wordsworth Rd , past Mount Carmel as you get near to Willows Lane .
They have put new sewage pipes beneath Wordsworth Rd , and a massive tank underneath Mount Carmel playing fields to collect excess water when it rains heavily .
The drilling was to examine the land where the tank was to be placed .

I discovered something new on the web yesterday , the name of the stream that the iron water runs into . I'll keep you guessing , or you may know already .

I hope you are well . Those at 77 are ok .

Cheers , Jim . Colin .

JCB 20-11-2010 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by heth (Post 862814)
Did it snow yesterday?!! :D

No , and I'm glad it didn't .

I used to love the snow up Fern Gore when I was a lad .

Age tends to make you dislike it . I lost count how many times I went on my backside last winter . :eek:

JCB 30-11-2010 20:26

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies (Post 168942)
Ive lived on Beech Grove,

I lived on Beech Grove the first 18 years of my life .

jaysay 01-12-2010 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 862854)
No , and I'm glad it didn't .

I used to love the snow up Fern Gore when I was a lad .

Age tends to make you dislike it . I lost count how many times I went on my backside last winter . :eek:

Ya it was quite fun fighting your way up to the Holy Family through 6 foot drifts JCB:D

JCB 01-12-2010 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 865916)
Ya it was quite fun fighting your way up to the Holy Family through 6 foot drifts JCB:D

Yes , Jaysay , we had fun as kids up there .

One year we had had a very heavy fall of snow . The snowploughs had made a way through Willows Lane . We could stand on top of the snow and look through the upstairs' windows of the Fern Gore bus .

The school bus from Fern Gore to Woodnook and St Anne' s schools was often unable to run because of the snow . There was no question of going back home . We walked to school , and we were frightened of being late . It was a lot different from today .

jaysay 01-12-2010 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 865924)
Yes , Jaysay , we had fun as kids up there .

One year we had had a very heavy fall of snow . The snowploughs had made a way through Willows Lane . We could stand on top of the snow and look through the upstairs' windows of the Fern Gore bus .

The school bus from Fern Gore to Woodnook and St Anne' s schools was often unable to run because of the snow . There was no question of going back home . We walked to school , and we were frightened of being late . It was a lot different from today .

When I was at HF I was very keen on Cross Country Running, one morning, when it had snowed very hard, a couple of us set of on our normal training run, which was up through the fields to Green Haworth across to the Shoulder, down Fielding Lane to the Plough (no Beni they were shut:D) then on high street back to school, we got halfway up the field and were confronted by 14 foot snow drift, about turn back to school:eek::eek::D

JCB 01-12-2010 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 865934)
When I was at HF I was very keen on Cross Country Running, one morning, when it had snowed very hard, a couple of us set of on our normal training run, which was up through the fields to Green Haworth across to the Shoulder, down Fielding Lane to the Plough (no Beni they were shut:D) then on high street back to school, we got halfway up the field and were confronted by 14 foot snow drift, about turn back to school:eek::eek::D

!4 foot snow drift , I can well believe it .

If there are 14mm of snow these days they start closing the schools .

jaysay 01-12-2010 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 865949)
!4 foot snow drift , I can well believe it .

If there are 14mm of snow these days they start closing the schools .

Makes me smile evey morning when they say schools have been closed, never happened in our day JCB;)

JCB 01-12-2010 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 865954)
Makes me smile evey morning when they say schools have been closed, never happened in our day JCB;)

Hospitals , supermarkets , factories , etc. stay open .
Oh , and Parliament . :eek:

jaysay 01-12-2010 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 866039)
Hospitals , supermarkets , factories , etc. stay open .
Oh , and Parliament . :eek:

We can't expect the school teachers to get into school in this bad weather poor lambs;)