Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Springhill Spot (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f76/)
-   -   Anyone from Fern Gore? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f76/anyone-from-fern-gore-5255.html)

Chelle 15-08-2004 12:48

Anyone from Fern Gore?

Hi,I'm new on here. Is there anyone on from the Fern Gore - Broadfield Road/Millerfold Avenue area? :)

mez 15-08-2004 13:26

Re: Anyone from Fern Gore?

hi chelle, i lived up fern gore some 30 odd yrs ago but still have friends up there, enjoy your stay on this site, we really arnt nutty :wave8:

WillowTheWhisp 15-08-2004 15:42

Hello Chelle. I'm almost in Fern Gore, on Willows Lane.

Chelle 15-08-2004 15:52

Okie doke :)

Mik Dickinson 20-02-2005 07:42

Hiya chelle i lived up Fern Gore for years.I also knew a chelle up there had a brother called Stuart.Could it be???????

rockrabbit 20-02-2005 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chelle
Hi,I'm new on here. Is there anyone on from the Fern Gore - Broadfield Road/Millerfold Avenue area? :)

hi i used to live on durham drive the other side of the bridge though near hawthorne ave but i went to school up fern gore at carmel

shiny gem 20-02-2005 11:18

i went to mount carmel and have friends who live on garbett street!! if that helps have fun on this site..its great really!! just dont start chatting to peeps late at night coz youll not get any sleep!!!

Mik Dickinson 20-02-2005 11:19

We lived on Broadfield Road and then moved on to Cartmel avenue.Stayed there for 4 years and then moved to Bavaria germany.That being the closest place to Fern Gore LOL!

Chelle 20-02-2005 11:24

lol sorry Mik that's not me,don't have a brother called Stuart & I'm only young! almost 17.

Mik Dickinson 08-05-2005 19:33

17 then you should know the Wheatcrofts and the rest of the young uns that go in to the Jenny????

Debbie J 02-06-2005 15:39

I was born in Fairclough road & my cousins were brought up on Kingston ave. I also have friends on Millerfold

Mik Dickinson 02-06-2005 20:48

Will have to elaborate a bit more than that Debbie lass

panther 06-06-2005 23:36

I didnt know fern gore was in springhill?

slinky 07-06-2005 13:01

Ferngore isn't in springhill. Springhill is over mountcarmel playing fields.

Mik Dickinson 07-06-2005 14:10

as i remember the playing fields were commonly known as the border between Spring Hill and Fern Gore

Bazf 07-06-2005 23:01

Correct Mik, we used to play on Holy farmers field all summer and them over there were always Fern Gore.

star 06-07-2005 23:52

i know millerfold

jimmi5bellies 10-07-2005 16:03

Ive lived on Beech Grove, Crossley Grove and Chestnut Road before i moved out of Fern Gore.

Doug 10-07-2005 16:33

Just to up date those who would already know, I lived on Miller Fold from 1967 until around 1972, In the House that Chelle lives in now. I’ve made a number of trips to have a look around over the last few months, apart from the trees and a few place names it’s not changed that much in 30 years.

Ber999T 11-07-2005 02:58

is it not surprsing that some peeps can get confused about areas until someone states landmarks that are known to them then they can see the area in their mind eye. Fern Gore (as i recall) starts at the top of Ormerod St and run up to Bedlam. The estate itself is the area and I recall that once over the little bridge you have arrived in Oswaldtwistle. If you walk from Miller Fold down to the old railway you can then end up in Baxenden and arrive at the Hollins School (where I went 1968-75) and we used to have that area in our cross country run. gawd my legs getting weak at the memory !!!!!!!!!

trevnolan 08-10-2005 19:07

iya everyone im from gore, know eevery1 up there. love the place its buzzin, quietened down alot now though, used to have a pretty bad rep but its sorted out now

sledden 24-10-2005 15:46

i used to live up fern gore bout 10 year ago

Mik Dickinson 24-10-2005 21:16

Trev if you are a small bloke with black hair i do believe we met up about 4 years ago in the Jenny.Could that be?

US Angel 20-11-2005 10:13

I live on Rimmington Ave before I got married and move all over with my hubby.

Jimmy Saville53 15-02-2008 13:08

hi Chelle....not now but used to live in lindadale ave as a kid

panther 15-02-2008 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Saville53 (Post 531286)
hi Chelle....not now but used to live in lindadale ave as a kid

my mum lived on there when she too was a kid:D

cherokee 15-02-2008 23:05

had a friend many years back who lived on lindadale ave . called donna if anyone knows her ? shed be in her 40s now ..

Ber999T 16-02-2008 07:54

:do-one: just making post to turn off email notice as I had forgot to do it when posting before

mrskitty 16-02-2008 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 531406)
my mum lived on there when she too was a kid:D

I live in Fern gore.......in a house that used to be occupied by..........
panther :D:D:D

jackyalex 16-02-2008 17:08

Did everyone move to or do house swaps up ferngore ?,looks like most of you have lived in a few different houses up there

panther 16-02-2008 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by misskitty (Post 531590)
I live in Fern gore.......in a house that used to be occupied by..........
panther :D:D:D

:tongueout.....thats reminds me, hows my leaded windows, and that Hydrangea?:D

derekgas 16-02-2008 19:53

Hiya Chelle, I live in ferngore, have been here 2 years, but only moved in a year ago after I sorted the council bodge jobs and the previous owners equal bodge jobs out, went for a house in Lindadale first, got gazzumped and bought lower down.

jackyalex 16-02-2008 22:55

lol i never seen how old this thread was

mrskitty 18-02-2008 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 531823)
:tongueout.....thats reminds me, hows my leaded windows, and that Hydrangea?:D

Leads fine-except front bedroom window ones started to come off end of last summer n as for the hydrangea.....hmm dont ask :rolleyes::p

panther 18-02-2008 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by misskitty (Post 532629)
Leads fine-except front bedroom window ones started to come off end of last summer n as for the hydrangea.....hmm dont ask :rolleyes::p

surprised it lasted this long:D
must be my good handy work:p

emzy 18-02-2008 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevnolan (Post 200012)
iya everyone im from gore, know eevery1 up there. love the place its buzzin, quietened down alot now though, used to have a pretty bad rep but its sorted out now

Bet you dont know me!! lol

emzy 18-02-2008 18:49

Im from fern gore, lived on bradfield rd until 2 yr ago and now on wordsworth road

elf82 19-02-2008 00:03

i know a family up fern gore. called Simpson.

Gordie 24-02-2008 15:09

I Just did a google search on myself and came across this site.I lived in fern Gore for a long time before moving to the other side of town then to Ireland 5 years ago.I would know a lot of families in that area.I remember you Mick Dickinson you were friendly with my cousin Andrew Edge

flashy 24-02-2008 15:11

my sis lives in fern gore (well top of willows lane)

pussycat 27-04-2008 20:26

i have lived up ferngore most of my life ; i lived on linderdale age bewteen 4-7 then moved ; came back to ferngore ; when i was 14; on ferngore ave; then moved again when i was 19; came back again when i was 26;lived on ferngore ave again ; lived on cartmel ave from 99-2002; now im still in ferngore ; if you lived up ferngore when you were a kid ; you always come back ; you just can;t get away from this place ; anyone else moved as a kid then came back;

Roblaw89 14-05-2008 17:51

i live a little bit round the corner from mount carmel the area people seem to know as the toblerone houses = ]] so like 5 mins alway from fg's the chippy really and the spinning jenny = ]]

Roblaw89 14-05-2008 23:23

by the way 3 people in a taxi to ferngore is now cheaper then catching the bus ;) just thought i'd let you know :D

MITZY 01-06-2008 16:12

I used to live next door to Andrew, and Lorraine Edge Gordie when they were at junior school.

Lancahirehotpot 07-07-2010 16:20

I am from ferngore and most of my family still live there. GREG SMALLEY infact one of my many bro's has now got the jenny (Graham)

cashman 07-07-2010 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancahirehotpot (Post 826948)
I am from ferngore and most of my family still live there. GREG SMALLEY infact one of my many bro's has now got the jenny (Graham)

Hey ya aint Chris's brother are ya?:)

james 19-11-2010 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik Dickinson (Post 158805)
as i remember the playing fields were commonly known as the border between Spring Hill and Fern Gore

Do you mean the old Grammer School playing fields where there used to be a fair every year?

JCB 19-11-2010 18:45

1 Attachment(s)
They're drilling for oil there now Jim .

james 19-11-2010 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 862757)

Very good, I did laugh. But what are they actually doing?
Cheers, Jim.

heth 20-11-2010 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 862757)

Did it snow yesterday?!! :D

JCB 20-11-2010 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 862791)
Very good, I did laugh. But what are they actually doing?
Cheers, Jim.

I took the photo a couple of winters ago .

There was a problem with flooding in the new houses on the left of Wordsworth Rd , past Mount Carmel as you get near to Willows Lane .
They have put new sewage pipes beneath Wordsworth Rd , and a massive tank underneath Mount Carmel playing fields to collect excess water when it rains heavily .
The drilling was to examine the land where the tank was to be placed .

I discovered something new on the web yesterday , the name of the stream that the iron water runs into . I'll keep you guessing , or you may know already .

I hope you are well . Those at 77 are ok .

Cheers , Jim . Colin .

JCB 20-11-2010 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by heth (Post 862814)
Did it snow yesterday?!! :D

No , and I'm glad it didn't .

I used to love the snow up Fern Gore when I was a lad .

Age tends to make you dislike it . I lost count how many times I went on my backside last winter . :eek:

JCB 30-11-2010 20:26

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies (Post 168942)
Ive lived on Beech Grove,

I lived on Beech Grove the first 18 years of my life .

jaysay 01-12-2010 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 862854)
No , and I'm glad it didn't .

I used to love the snow up Fern Gore when I was a lad .

Age tends to make you dislike it . I lost count how many times I went on my backside last winter . :eek:

Ya it was quite fun fighting your way up to the Holy Family through 6 foot drifts JCB:D

JCB 01-12-2010 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 865916)
Ya it was quite fun fighting your way up to the Holy Family through 6 foot drifts JCB:D

Yes , Jaysay , we had fun as kids up there .

One year we had had a very heavy fall of snow . The snowploughs had made a way through Willows Lane . We could stand on top of the snow and look through the upstairs' windows of the Fern Gore bus .

The school bus from Fern Gore to Woodnook and St Anne' s schools was often unable to run because of the snow . There was no question of going back home . We walked to school , and we were frightened of being late . It was a lot different from today .

jaysay 01-12-2010 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 865924)
Yes , Jaysay , we had fun as kids up there .

One year we had had a very heavy fall of snow . The snowploughs had made a way through Willows Lane . We could stand on top of the snow and look through the upstairs' windows of the Fern Gore bus .

The school bus from Fern Gore to Woodnook and St Anne' s schools was often unable to run because of the snow . There was no question of going back home . We walked to school , and we were frightened of being late . It was a lot different from today .

When I was at HF I was very keen on Cross Country Running, one morning, when it had snowed very hard, a couple of us set of on our normal training run, which was up through the fields to Green Haworth across to the Shoulder, down Fielding Lane to the Plough (no Beni they were shut:D) then on high street back to school, we got halfway up the field and were confronted by 14 foot snow drift, about turn back to school:eek::eek::D

JCB 01-12-2010 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 865934)
When I was at HF I was very keen on Cross Country Running, one morning, when it had snowed very hard, a couple of us set of on our normal training run, which was up through the fields to Green Haworth across to the Shoulder, down Fielding Lane to the Plough (no Beni they were shut:D) then on high street back to school, we got halfway up the field and were confronted by 14 foot snow drift, about turn back to school:eek::eek::D

!4 foot snow drift , I can well believe it .

If there are 14mm of snow these days they start closing the schools .

jaysay 01-12-2010 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 865949)
!4 foot snow drift , I can well believe it .

If there are 14mm of snow these days they start closing the schools .

Makes me smile evey morning when they say schools have been closed, never happened in our day JCB;)

JCB 01-12-2010 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 865954)
Makes me smile evey morning when they say schools have been closed, never happened in our day JCB;)

Hospitals , supermarkets , factories , etc. stay open .
Oh , and Parliament . :eek:

jaysay 01-12-2010 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 866039)
Hospitals , supermarkets , factories , etc. stay open .
Oh , and Parliament . :eek:

We can't expect the school teachers to get into school in this bad weather poor lambs;)

cashman 01-12-2010 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 865954)

Its pathetic, used to have proper winters n can NEVER remember school being closed.:rolleyes: remember being told to keep our coats on cos heating was off.

jaysay 02-12-2010 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 866103)
Its pathetic, used to have proper winters n can NEVER remember school being closed.:rolleyes: remember being told to keep our coats on cos heating was off.

If the school bus wasn't running ya set of a bit earlier and walked to school, with a few snowball fights along the way:D

JCB 02-12-2010 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 866139)
If the school bus wasn't running ya set of a bit earlier and walked to school, with a few snowball fights along the way:D

In a way you could say that kids have never had it so good . On the other hand we could be nurturing a future generation I would not like to describe .

jaysay 02-12-2010 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 866155)
In a way you could say that kids have never had it so good . On the other hand we could be nurturing a future generation I would not like to describe .

Well its great for the Cotton Wool makers JCB:rolleyes:

JCB 02-12-2010 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 866158)
Well its great for the Cotton Wool makers JCB:rolleyes:

That sums it up .

Forget the grit , just give us bags of cotton wool .;)

natasha29 06-12-2010 14:18

lives up fern gore on broadfield road been up here about 15yrs, a bit of snow tho and the area comes to a standstill lol x

bobbinsbarnes 10-12-2010 01:04

hya i live up f/g on 40 broadfield rd long time ago great times (David Barnes)

barry thornton 24-01-2011 12:25

I lived up F/G at 35 Rimington Ave.,From 1945 to 1969,my mum, Edna, lived there 'til she died in 2002.I've known snow half-way up the front door but the school never closed.(Sringhill then Woodnook)I loved it,we had a great time.Many families used to sledge downt' back a Sheep Coyts Farm 'til after dark.Very happy memories.

barry thornton 24-01-2011 12:52

I lived up F/G at 35 Rimington Ave., aged 2, from 1945 'til 1969,my mum Edna lived there 'til she died in 2002. I remember snow half way up front door but school never closed(Springhill infants and juniors then Woodnook).We kids had a great time.All families used t'sledge downt' field at back a Sheep Coyts Farm 'til well after dark.This was in the 50's.Very happy times.

US Angel 24-01-2011 15:28

Trying to think which house you lived in. I left there after I got married.
We lived at #30

JCB 28-03-2013 18:03

1 Attachment(s)
For anyone interested in Fern Gore there is a photograph of Dunnyshop Farm in this week's Accrington Observer .
It's amazing . Next to the photo it reads : " DUNNYSHOP FARM IN THE 1050s. I never knew we were so far advanced when I lived up there .

Apologies for my useless attempt at photography .

Mog 29-03-2013 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1049518)
For anyone interested in Fern Gore there is a photograph of Dunnyshop Farm in this week's Accrington Observer .
It's amazing . Next to the photo it reads : " DUNNYSHOP FARM IN THE 1050s. I never knew we were so far advanced when I lived up there .

Apologies for my useless attempt at photography .

Now then, Fern Gore. That brings back some good memories to me. Last time I was up there was about 1964. I havn,t got a clue what the roads were called but I used to go out with a lass called Maureen Wallace. Lived on the very last road at the top I think. Her brother was called Roy Wallace. Nice lad used to drink with him now and again down Accy. Cashy will know him as he was mates with Pat Varley. Used to Pop in that Pub on left hand side of the main road past Fern Gore, Is it an extension of Willows Lane. Its been a long time ago.

cashman 29-03-2013 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mog (Post 1049744)
Now then, Fern Gore. That brings back some good memories to me. Last time I was up there was about 1964. I havn,t got a clue what the roads were called but I used to go out with a lass called Maureen Wallace. Lived on the very last road at the top I think. Her brother was called Roy Wallace. Nice lad used to drink with him now and again down Accy. Cashy will know him as he was mates with Pat Varley. Used to Pop in that Pub on left hand side of the main road past Fern Gore, Is it an extension of Willows Lane. Its been a long time ago.

Yeh used to mate wi Roy n Pat n Trev (Brian Trevithick) Pats long gone now, Roys in a electric buggy, Last i heard of Trev he had moved oer Padiham, Lived Blackburn Rd across from sacred heart n worked Huncoat Pit.;)

JCB 29-03-2013 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mog (Post 1049744)

The pub would be the Red Lion , now no longer a pub .

The pub further up into Green Haworth , the Shoulder of Mutton , also now no longer a pub . :mad:

US Angel 18-03-2014 19:38

Just going thru some old memories reading these

Alan Gilmartin 22-03-2014 03:42

Am I right in thinking Jim Payne lived up Fern Gore, Atarah

JCB 22-03-2014 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 1098887)
Am I right in thinking Jim Payne lived up Fern Gore, Atarah

Jim lived on Downham Drive , Fern Gore .

JCB 09-09-2014 09:18

1 Attachment(s)
I have just received the photo at the bottom in an email from Jim Payne .

We were talking about it on the phone yesterday . It says "Fern Bridge Oswaldtwistle" on the photo .

Jim was thinking that it could be how the bridge from Fern Gore to High Street used to look . The name and the surroundings of it suggest to me that it is that bridge . However , someone has told Jim of a wooden bridge in Cocker Lumb and he is unsure as to whether it could be that one . I recall a wooden bridge at Cockle Lumb at the bottom of the path from Gaulkthorn Farm , but I can't remember the surroundings of this bridge .

Can anyone help solve the mystery please ?

ozpete 20-06-2020 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry thornton (Post 877733)
I lived up F/G at 35 Rimington Ave., aged 2, from 1945 'til 1969,my mum Edna lived there 'til she died in 2002. I remember snow half way up front door but school never closed(Springhill infants and juniors then Woodnook).We kids had a great time.All families used t'sledge downt' field at back a Sheep Coyts Farm 'til well after dark.This was in the 50's.Very happy times.

Just came across this post by accident. We lived at 33 Riminington Ave next door from about 1952 to 1959 until we emigrated to Australia. We were the Zalewski family. My name is Peter (born in 1952) and my older brother Michael. Mike knew Graham (?) Thornton, I guess he was your younger brother.

ozpete 20-06-2020 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by US Angel (Post 877752)
Trying to think which house you lived in. I left there after I got married.
We lived at #30

Hi! We lived at 33 Rimington Avenue from 1952 to 1959. My brother Michael (born 1949) and myself Peter (born 1952). Surname was Zalewski. Dad was Polish and Mum an accrington born. We are now in Australia (emigrated in June 1959. My brother remembers a girl who lived on opposite side of Rimington Avenue and whose father was a bus driver.