Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Springhill Spot
Donate! Join Today

Springhill Spot A forum running in conjunction with Springhill Spotlight. Give your opinions on what is happening in your area. Air your views and grievances. Put forward ideas on how we can improve Springhill

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2003, 21:12   #1
Caz
God Member

Post Abandoned Vehicles

Council Information On Abandoned Vehicles

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/your%5F...d_Vehicles.htm

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2003, 13:19   #2
Junior Member+

Post Re: Abandoned Vehicles

Further info:

the normal procedure for reporting abandoned vehicles is to contact the local Police. They will make enquiries to trace the owner and determine whether or not it is stolen or subject to Police investigation.

When enquiries have finished, and the keeper cannot be traced, a fax is sent to the relevant officer in Env Health at the relevant Authority with instructions to remove the vehicle. The Officer then inspects the vehicle and normally puts a 24 hour Notice on it, after which arrangements are made for its removal and destruction.

Please note: The Council cannot remove a vehicle with a current tax disc or a current registered keeper. Also there is an additinal procedure for vehicles on private land.

All enquiries should go to the Police in the first instance.

Lee Haworth
Lee Haworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2003, 22:11   #3

I'm glad somebody has brought this up ! Somebody has dumped their car outside my house, it has been there for about 3 weeks now, i contacted the police and gave them the details of it, however it has not been reported stolen and because it is taxed there is nothing they can do !!!!!!
The car is causing an obstruction and i cant even park outside my own house - what do i do next?
Bordercollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2003, 22:20   #4
Caz
God Member

Spotted this at the above council link.

How does the Council decide if a vehicle is abandoned?
A number of criterium are use by the Council, the main ones being:

How long the vehicle is known to have been left in the location
The general appearance of the vehicle
The completeness of the vehicle
The age of the vehicle
The vehicles location in relation to its owners address
The claims or otherwise of the last recorded keeper
Whether the vehicle is taxed

As I know the vehicle you are talking about and the police details about the owner, maybe it might be worth contacting the council, as the highlighted statement applies.
Although this doesn't tally with what Lee has said, about not being able to remove taxed roadworthy vehicles.

I can't see why the police can't just make one quick call on the owner, and ask him what the situation is to be quite honest.  

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2003, 09:28   #5
Neal Parry

If a Community Warden believes a vehicle to be abandoned, we do a PNC check to locate the current keeper. We will try to arrange for the owner to move it or the Police will do so and charge them.  If the vehicle has no keeper and no tax, we then fax the details to the H/Health Enforcement Officer.

Hope this helps.
Old 28-08-2003, 09:36   #6
I am Banned

Who does a PNC check ?  In other words who is "we" ?
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2003, 10:34   #7
Neal Parry

We as in the Community Wardens or the Police.
Old 28-08-2003, 10:36   #8
I am Banned

So your saying a community warden can do a PNC ???
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2003, 10:41   #9
Neal Parry

We can if we have good enough reason to do so.
Old 28-08-2003, 19:45   #10

We have had an Abandoned car parked on China Stree for the last three weeks...the windows have been smashed, its a real pretty sight, we get a few motors dumped here, they usually have some damage to the front end, looks like they may have been involved in an accident and dumped because the driver has no driving licence or insurance....not that it matters a great deal in Accrington co's you only get a slap on the wrist for these major motoring offences....It's a joke....

B.
Old 28-08-2003, 20:34   #11
Neal Parry

Have you tried contacting the Warden's for your area?  The number is 01254 353 710 or e-mail [email protected]

You could also call 01254 388811 and ask for Environmental Health.  Or is the number 388111?  :-/
Old 28-08-2003, 22:02   #12
Junior Member+

Its 388111. You should contact the Central Wardens on either 353710 or e-mail [email protected]
craigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:35   #13
Senior Member+

that is not true about a slap on the wrist.My brother got caught, no liscence, insurance or tax.He went down for 3 months and as far as i am concerned it should have been a year

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..