Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Springhill Spot
Donate! Join Today

Springhill Spot A forum running in conjunction with Springhill Spotlight. Give your opinions on what is happening in your area. Air your views and grievances. Put forward ideas on how we can improve Springhill

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2003, 16:54   #1
Caz
God Member

Post Alley Gating

Alley gating is supposed to be starting in  the area soon. Any views?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-07-2003, 16:55   #2
Resting in Peace

Post Re: Alley Gating

I think it would help but wouldent stop cats or dogs or rats well maybe some
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2003, 17:11   #3
Caz
God Member

Might stop the rats that break into our houses!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 24-07-2003, 17:16   #4
Caz
God Member

I think:

It would make properties more burglar proof.

Children would be able to play in back alleys  safely.

Discarded refuse couldn't be blamed on outsiders, and it should be easier to track down the culprits.

The scheme has worked well in other towns, some having a huge reduction in house burglaries.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 24-07-2003, 17:42   #5
tabaluga

is anthing being done about the rat problem?
i heard someone had put leaflets through people's doors asking them to contact the council if they had rats in their house etc!!

Old 24-07-2003, 17:43   #6
Resting in Peace

i have a cat you can borrow
but she is scared of birdes ???
shes only a small cat
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2003, 17:53   #7
Caz
God Member

The council would be better tackling the cause of the problem, in the first place. Surely it would be cheaper to keep the area clean in the first place, rather than having to call out pest control all the time. but then that's the council for you, cut corners to save money, then pay through the nose later. (or we do) Same in every department.

If you have rats in your immediate area i would suggest a group of neighbours get together and bombard them with letters, emails, or phone calls, about getting rid of the cause. That's what I've been doing on certain issues. May not take immediate effect, but who knows, if they get enough hassle, they might wake up eventually.

The money spent on printing and distributing leaflets could have gone some way towards the cost of cleaning. I'd say they're just trying to make it look like they're doing something!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 24-07-2003, 18:03   #8
tabaluga

i agree with you totally cazzer,
but the leaflets were done by a local resident who after living on the same street for 30yrs plus was fed up of grotty neighbours not looking after their propertys and used their own resources to put the leaflets together.
Old 24-07-2003, 18:06   #9
Caz
God Member

That's a good start then! Well done to whoever that was!(thought the council had done them)

Are you in Springhill?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 24-07-2003, 18:13   #10
tabaluga

i lived in springhill for 20years, now when i go there it makes me sad to see that some people dont look after their propertys or take pride in them.i know you can get this in any area though!
i think your site is great, your doing a really good job getting people to share their views/ideas.
Old 24-07-2003, 18:50   #11
Resting In Peace

By Alley Gating, I presume that it means putting gates across the entrance to the back alleys, would that not impede the entry of fire engines in emergencies, I think this ought to be considered.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2003, 18:59   #12
Caz
God Member

I'm assuming that would have been taken into consideration. Maybe some kind of master key? Don't know. might make some enquiries about that, I'll let you know if I find out. You in Springhill Ernie?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 24-07-2003, 20:10   #13
Resting In Peace

Not in Spring Hill Cazzer, actually not in Accy, but I lived in Accrington for 41 years so I know the area quite well.  I moved to Bury 10 years ago, but we come to see friends in Accrington whenever we can, I guess my Partner can claim to be nearer Spring Hill than me, she used to live on Richmond Road, I lived down the hill in Steiner Street..
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2003, 20:44   #14

:P
Yes I think The Ally gate will be great, until someone looses a key for the lock
markinaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2003, 20:49   #15

Hi Cazzer...

Keep up the good work... :-*

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..