Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Springhill Spot
Donate! Join Today

Springhill Spot A forum running in conjunction with Springhill Spotlight. Give your opinions on what is happening in your area. Air your views and grievances. Put forward ideas on how we can improve Springhill

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2004, 16:58   #1
Junior Member+

Question Early Spring Hill

Trying to piece together the beginnings of the Spring Hill area (17th & 18th century landowners, mill owners, Housing development, etc). Can anyone help ?
Dialynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2004, 21:36   #2
Member.

Re: Early Spring Hill

Hello Dialynne, welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy it. Most of the folks that will be of help to you are night people and on most of the time during the week. I'm sure that someone will be able to help you with your interests. We have quite a few people who love the areas local history....
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 23:00   #3
Resident Waffler

I'm afraid I'm no help either but I'm sure some of the historically minded members will be able to come up with lots of interest to you.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 08:54   #4
Member.

Hi Dialynne, I don't know if you've seen this link or not but have a look.

http://www.springhill.freeuk.com/history.htm
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 13:17   #5
Junior Member+

Cheers Doug..Didn't realise they had classroom assistants in them days as well !!! Does anyone know when the following mills were built: Spring Hill (what is now ossy mills coach park on Spring Hill Rd), Union (Rist wires), and Moscow mill. Moscow Mill is on a map of 1848, and so I believe is the Pickup Arms which was then called Lodge Tavern. And Spring Hill Rd is but a footpath leading to what is now Spring Hill House.
Dialynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 19:22   #6
God Member

Hi Dialynne,

The best advice is to drop into Accrington Reference Library, the staff are friendly helpful and knowledgeable. If they don't know the answer to your question they will probably know someone who does.

Good luck.
Old 19-02-2012, 12:52   #7

My dad Jim Wilson was a long standing member of the Spring Hill Snooker club. They played most evenings and weekends in the basement of Spring Hill Methodist Church...I have some photos somewhere of the team and their trophies...will post when I find them
Rose Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 08:01   #8
God Member

I used to go playing snooker down there as well when I was a nipper ( ~ 1980's) at the time it was being run as a youth club, think the bloke was called Frank??????

I can still remember the musty smell it had...

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 08:14   #9
Senior Member+

My first thought.:- Read Mike Rothwell's books on Industral heritage. They cover each of our local townships , as well as others further afield. There are other 'standard' books too - Accrington Captains of Industry and Old Homesteads of Accrington amiongst them.

View all trhe early maps that the library have, then see other maps & documents in the Lancashire Archive in Bow Lane, Preston.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 09:26   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Wilson View Post
My dad Jim Wilson was a long standing member of the Spring Hill Snooker club. They played most evenings and weekends in the basement of Spring Hill Methodist Church...I have some photos somewhere of the team and their trophies...will post when I find them
My Father played in that league when he was young he played for Foxhill Grove Methodist which was on the corner of Hartley St. and Union Road, no longer there.
Old 20-02-2012, 18:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I used to go playing snooker down there as well when I was a nipper ( ~ 1980's) at the time it was being run as a youth club, think the bloke was called Frank??????

I can still remember the musty smell it had...

Hi Ian

It was Frank Murgatroyd ( Pauls Dad)
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 06:49   #12
God Member

Thats the fella, I remembered his son was called Paul but couldn;t for the life of me recall his last name.

who needs a PS3 when you have 2 snooker tables a musty old basement!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 19:10   #13
Junior Member+

HI Rose It's Barry Thornton-----Remember?
barry thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 12:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialynne View Post
Does anyone know when the following mills were built: Spring Hill (what is now ossy mills coach park on Spring Hill Rd), Union (Rist wires), and Moscow mill. Moscow Mill is on a map of 1848,
According to the book 'Moscow Mill And It's People', the original Moscow Mill was built 1824. There's a copy of the book on ebay at the moment for a reasonable starting price (link here). It's a good read, well worth a few quid.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 22:35   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
According to the book 'Moscow Mill And It's People', the original Moscow Mill was built 1824. There's a copy of the book on ebay at the moment for a reasonable starting price (link here). It's a good read, well worth a few quid.
This had me quite bemused for a while. These books were issued to all the employees of the Enfield Group to celebrate their centenary... I have one.
The were free of charge.

It looks like there was still quite a lot left over and selling them on E-bay. Still, why not, eh ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..