Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Springhill Spot
Donate! Join Today

Springhill Spot A forum running in conjunction with Springhill Spotlight. Give your opinions on what is happening in your area. Air your views and grievances. Put forward ideas on how we can improve Springhill

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2003, 19:16   #1
Caz
God Member

Post Litter Commission

From the Observer - http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk
"Heavy fines for litterbugs

Residents could face  fines of up to £2,500 if they do not comply with Hyndburn Council's newly formed Litter Commission.

The authority warned residents of its tough stance this week after regular complaints about dirty back streets, the dumping of binbags, and the misuse of wheelie bins.

Fixed penalty notices of £50 will be handed out to residents who do not co-operate with refuse collection services.

And if these are not paid, people could find themselves before Hyndburn Magistrates, facing fines of up to £2,500, plus legal costs.

The Litter Commission has a zero tolerance approach to litter and rubbish and council bosses have said they will not hesitate to take appropriate action."

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2003, 13:26   #2
Junior Member+

Post Re: Litter Commission

The full unedited version of this report will be posted shortly. The Observer shortened it somewhat!

Several £50 Fixed Penalty notices were issued to residents in Accrington following complaints of bags in the back of Beech Street.

To date only 2 have been paid and the remainder are due to be summonsed to appear before Hyndburn Magistrates were they will be prosecuted for littering, and the maximum fine is £2,500.

This latest action adds to in excess of over 100 on the spot fines for litter and dog fouling that have already been issued.

Where the fines have not been paid, providing there is sufficient evidence, the offenders are taken to Court.

Keep your eye on the press for the court cases.
Lee Haworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2003, 14:12   #3

I been reading some comments and viewing some pictures that are posted and it really saddens me to see things like this as i'm sure it does many people. I am lucky enough to live in an area where this kind of stuff does not happen and i have to say that yes it is partly due to people not wanting to litter but it is also due to a sceme we have set up which has been nicknamed "Portugese Christmas" basically once a year the town offers a free service of large item pick-ups freezer's sofas beds whatever needs to be picked up. it is placed out on the streets no more than 5 days before the pick-up (sensible, doors removed ect.) During this time, anyone is free to help themselves to it, whats one person's waste is another person's treasure, hence the name that its been giving. We now hardly ever see sofa's, freezer's, construction stuff whatever you can think of, lying around the place or thrown in the stream and most people now arrange for home reno's during this time so they don't have to pay for a skip!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2003, 12:08   #4
Caz
God Member

Media release - from the hyndburn council website.

Council Gets Tough To Combat Litter Problems

14 August 2003

Hyndburn residents could face fines of up to £2,500 for dumping bin bags in the back streets. In July, seven Hyndburn residents were each given an on the spot fine of £50 by the Council’s Environmental Health Department for leaving their refuse bags in the back street after the bin collection day. The Fixed Penalty Notices allow residents to pay a £50 fee in order to avoid being prosecuted for littering offences. Of this latest batch, only one has been paid. The remainder are due to be summoned to appear before Hyndburn Magistrates were they can each be fined up to £2,500 and have to pay prosecution costs.

The enforcement action comes after residents, particularly in the Accrington area, complained about dirty back streets. Warning letters were delivered to several streets and in the following weeks any bags left out on the wrong day were searched for evidence and the offenders issued with a £50 fine. Each resident has been given a final opportunity to pay the statutory penalty before the summonses are sent out. The Council will also be getting tough with residents who are not using the wheeled bins provided recently in areas of Accrington and Church. Some residents are not using their wheeled bins at all and are continuing to put rubbish out in bin sacks. Other residents are not taking bins to the appropriate collection point on the refuse collection day.

Residents are reminded that unless they cooperate with the new collection service, formal legal action will be taken against them. Portfolio Holder for Environmental Services, Councillor Mrs Anne Scaife said “The Council has promised to get tough on fly tippers, people who drop litter and residents who are not cooperating with refuse collection services, and that is exactly what we are doing. Residents must be aware that their rubbish is their responsibility and they will be fined if they dump it.” Under the Council’s newly formed Litter Commission, there is a zero tolerance on litter and rubbish. The Council will not hesitate to take appropriate action which can often result in the offenders being prosecuted. If you have any information on fly tippers or would like to report a grot spot or dirty back street, please contact the Council’s Helpline on 399988 or by email to [email protected]

- Oscar Wilde
Old 19-09-2003, 10:11   #5

cazzer have u read the observer this morning?
2 got the finds should be more!
how many times do they need telling? but? what happens to all the money they will get from the finds?
tommey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2003, 12:13   #6

try living where i do  we have asked for litter bins to be  put up and have been told   cant  do it   yet we  have a chipshop a buttie shop a  kebab place a cafe all  near by  the rubbish  all blows  into  the walk way roses and  no one   cleans it up except me and the wife ( asked and asked for  rubish  bins to be put up )  and they wont do it  
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2003, 12:25   #7
Caz
God Member

[quote author=tommey link=board=springhill;num=1060283345;start=0#4 date=09/19/03 at 11:11:39]cazzer have u read the observer this morning?
2 got the finds should be more!
how many times do they need telling? but? what happens to all the money they will get from the finds?[/quote]

Couldn't tell you what happens to the "on the spot fines".
If they are being put back into the EH system then that's good.

As far as fines incurred through the Magistrates Court, I would assume they go into the legal system, like any other.  

- Oscar Wilde

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..