Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Springhill Spot
Donate! Join Today

Springhill Spot A forum running in conjunction with Springhill Spotlight. Give your opinions on what is happening in your area. Air your views and grievances. Put forward ideas on how we can improve Springhill

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2003, 20:01   #1
Caz
God Member

Post Questions for Neal Parry - Community Warden

Please put all your questions for Neal in this section.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2003, 15:18   #2
Caz
God Member

Post Re: Questions for Neal Parry - Community Warden

Possibly a question for both Lee Howarth & Neal Parry:
How are the Litter fines going to be enforced?

Seeing someone drop litter is obvious enough, but what about the dumping of rubbish in back alleys. If a resident denies they have done it, will people have to give evidence to the contrary?

Also if necessary, will you be checking the contents of binbags to catch non-wheelie bin users?

Who will be enforcing the fines, the Wardens, Police or both?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 14-08-2003, 13:32   #3
Junior Member+

The normal procedure is to for (only) an Enforcement Officer to search a bag for 'material evidence' - (can't give all the secrets away). This proves which property the waste comes from but does not prove who actually deposited the waste. We usually try to interview the suspects and determine what action to take.

This has been succesful and where the Fixed Penalties have not been paid, the offenders are taken to Court.

There is another proceedure for enforcing the use of dustbins. In fact a resident of Springhill Rd. was the first in the county to be prosecuted for not using a bin. She was fined £100 with £40 costs.

The Police have NO involvment in this type of problem. All complaints should be directed to the Helpline on 399988.

Lee Haworth
Lee Haworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2003, 20:37   #4
Neal Parry

Lee has answered that one. I must point out however that I'm only a Community Warden, not a co-ordinator. I hope a promotion comes eventually though!

I can pass information onto the other Warden teams however. I currently have no area, just cover where needed.

Thanks for the forum section though, great idea.
Old 16-08-2003, 13:37   #5
Junior Member+

Hi Neal.

Do the wardens work to a set route, in other words, would I be able to expect to see the wardens in a certain place at a similar time each day? Also what time do you patrol till each day, and do you patrol Saturdays?

flopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2003, 13:44   #6
Neal Parry

There is always a Warden Team on duty.  Our hours of work are currently:

2pm to 10pm Monday to Friday
10am to 6pm Saturday and Sunday

We all have different areas which we cover, but no specific patrol route (This would make it too obvious).  It's down to each Warden's discretion as to which routes they take.

If you need any more help, please get in touch.
Old 16-08-2003, 13:47   #7
Neal Parry

I'll just confrim our contact details for this section.

By Post:

Community Wardens,
Accrington Police Station,
Spring Gardens,
Accrington,
BB5 2BJ.

Telephone: 01254 353 710 (24 Hour Answerphone)
Fax: 01254 353 737

E-mails depending on the area:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 16-08-2003, 14:36   #8
Caz
God Member

Hi,

Not exactly a warden question, but to answer a query in another section, do you know approximately where the Springhill boundaries lie?
I know it is from the bridge upwards on Lonsdale St, but any other direction I don't know.
Could be useful when we are looking for grotspot pictures etc!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 16-08-2003, 14:49   #9
Neal Parry

I'm not sure about that one, i'll have words with PCSO Wayne Smith or HW Denise Gooding, they may know that one or beable to find out for you.

I'll leave a note on the desk, they aren't in until Monday
Old 17-08-2003, 12:32   #10
Caz
God Member

There is a new "Community Wardens" page on Springhill Spotlight.

Click on the link below.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-08-2003, 12:36   #11
Caz
God Member

I was wondering if there is any likelyhood of a Junior Warden Scheme being started in the Springhill area?

I know one or two youngsters who would be interested!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 21-08-2003, 17:45   #12
Neal Parry

A Junior Warden scheme is not currenlty planned for any other area except for Church at the present time.  The Junior Warden scheme is a pilot scheme which if succesful, will be implemented in all areas.

Thanks
Old 30-08-2003, 15:05   #13
I am Banned

Are you able to move people on who are drinking in back alleys?
there is a problem sometimes in the springhill area with gangs of youngsters gathering and sitting outside people's gates, making a noise and throwing litter around.

Are you allowed to remove alcohol from under age drinkers? or is it just the police who can do this ???
Royboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2003, 15:27   #14
Neal Parry

We can ask the youths to pour away their drink, be quieter, or move on.  If they refuse we can ask for Police help.

If they are throwing litter and over the criminal age, we can issue them with a £50 fine.  If they are under the criminal age, we can take them home and warn their parents.  Our information will then be passed to the Police and if need be, their landlord / housing company.
Old 30-08-2003, 15:57   #15
Junior Member+

Can you explain exactly what a PCSO is and what it stands for?
Is he a normal police officer with a specific beat, or is he a different rank. Does he have the same powers as a normal PC?

Thanks Neal
flopsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..