Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Springhill Spot
Donate! Join Today

Springhill Spot A forum running in conjunction with Springhill Spotlight. Give your opinions on what is happening in your area. Air your views and grievances. Put forward ideas on how we can improve Springhill

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2003, 11:53   #1
Caz
God Member

Post Wheelie Bins

Any views on the new wheelie bin system?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-07-2003, 11:56   #2
I am Banned

Post Re: Wheelie Bins

The jury is out until I find out if there collectiong weekly or fortnightly.. If the latter then we are stuck.. 6 people in this house.. fortnigtly collection would be a joke.. especialy as they wont take bin bags if not in wheelie bin.. The wheelie bin is full before end of first week

Maybe I should take them all up the coppice and plonk my rubbish in the space ship when its ready.

Is it me or is the place going mad?
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2003, 12:02   #3
emma1

I think they are a good idea if collected weekly, we dont have wheelie bins still got to dump our black bags on the back alley where the bags get ripped to shreads and rubbish scattered all over the place, but with the new recycling thing going on there is supposed to be a reduction in rubbish put in the black bags so collection may only be every 2 weeks
Old 23-07-2003, 12:12   #4
Caz
God Member

I agree with the last remark Harry!
The system in principle should improve things in the long run.
Surely the council can let large families have two bins!
Hopefully the collection will stay weekly as it is now and it will be reasonably OK.
It needs to be sorted out properly though. We are supposed to leave our gates open from 7.30 AM and they don't pick up sometimes till one. Open invitation for burglars or what?
doesn't take long for them to sus out who's working and gates are open all day.

Had to laugh yesterday. They took my wheelie bin liner out of the bin, and several others, cos we didn't have much rubbish this week, and pushed the bins back in the yards. When I asked why they said it was easier! I'm confused now!
Also they are supposed to be closing gates when they replace the bins but this isn't happening. Sent emails about this but they never reply.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 24-07-2003, 16:10   #5
Resting in Peace

we have to take bins to end of street or they wont collect them .
they are weekly which is good but after i go in hospital the wife wont be able to manage it so how do we get it empted ???
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2003, 16:13   #6
Caz
God Member

How come you have to do that, can't the bin men get up the back?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 24-07-2003, 16:48   #7
Resting in Peace

yes but we were given a map where the bins had to be for collection if you just open your door they dont bother collecting them .
Old 24-07-2003, 16:52   #8
Caz
God Member

Maybe If you ring the council and tell them you're going to have a temporary problem, they'll help out.

Never heard of them not collecting from the gates before. By the way, have you got alley gates down there yet?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 24-07-2003, 17:16   #9
Resting in Peace

no open ended both ends you could get a rubbish wagan down like we used to
;D
Old 25-07-2003, 20:54   #10

The bins have got to be emptied every week, or, what happens to the extra black bags which they are instructed not to take???
Old 25-07-2003, 22:03   #11
Caz
God Member

I agree! Surely they will have been monitoring the system over the last few weeks.

We've had wheelies in Springhill for 3 weeks now. Surely Ms Scaife will have seen the amount of rubbish that people are disposing of whilst she's been working with the refuse team. I mean what's it going to take to make them see sense.

Also when are they going to start recycling plastic? the amount of plastic milk and pop bottles and packaging must be enormous.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 25-07-2003, 22:11   #12
Resting In Peace

We have wheelie bins in Bury and we only get one bin per household irrespective of how many occupants are in the house, also if we have to leave a black bag outside the bin due to the bin being full the binmen will leave it in the back alley, and the bins have to be on the alley itself waiting for collection, there is no question of the binmen coming into the backyard for them, they just won't do it.  I just thought I would let you know how the other half live...
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2003, 23:01   #13
Caz
God Member

They don't come in the yard for them here. We are supposed to leave the bin in the entrance of our back gates, with the handle facing out. We are not supposed to leave them on the alley.  When they empty the bin they are supposed to put them back inside the gate and shut it. this isn't happening.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 26-07-2003, 13:49   #14
Junior Member+

It's got to stay weekly. And they should have issued bigger wheelie bins in the first place.

Why do we  have to leave our gates open, it's ridiculous. Why can't we leave them outside? Does it not leave enough space for the wagon? If so they should have thought of that shouldn't they.
moonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2003, 13:58   #15
Resting in Peace

i dont think bigger bins would do i can only just get my bin in and out
if it was any bigger it wouldent go though the gate ???
two would be better

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..