Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2011, 18:52   #16
I am Banned

Re: 114 Abbey Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
If you read this weeks accy observer you will see theres an interview with garth dawson about a camera thats operated by bellows .... he bought it in the 50s ..
Snap, I've had this one over 70 years.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0055.JPG (86.6 KB, 24 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2011, 13:10   #17

Here's a postcard that you may find interesting. It too suggests that they sold a camera patented specifically to Walton's. Maybe worth looking up patent records for more info? I have no patent number to help you with though sorry.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 12:44   #18
Resting In Peace

Here is an advert from around 1920

Waltons.jpg
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33   #19
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
Here's a postcard that you may find interesting. It too suggests that they sold a camera patented specifically to Walton's. Maybe worth looking up patent records for more info? I have no patent number to help you with though sorry.
This is the post card that started me off on the trail of the camera and Tom Walton. My version of this is more like a photo than a postcard, it doesn't have any lines to divide the space on the back into the writing side and the address side.

I wondered if it was a sort of publicity shot for the camera to hand out to anyone who might buy one. Is your card the same?
Ravenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:38   #20
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Here is an advert from around 1920

Attachment 17917
This is a great advert it shows how long a history the shop had. Where does the advert come from? Is it photographic magazine?
Old 03-07-2011, 13:42   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
I wondered if it was a sort of publicity shot for the camera to hand out to anyone who might buy one. Is your card the same?
I don't own the original - I just have the image file unfortunately. The description that went with it described a Real Photographic Postcard, so I'd assume there was either a space for address/message on back, or a pre-printed sales message as was often done on these (although I don't know for sure).

The embossed/debossed text that can be seen shows that it is definitely printed on card - although many non-postcard photographs were printed on card too, so that doesn't really help.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 17:02   #22
Senior Member+

Re Ravenshaw's image above. I think it is an ad from a series of Year Books published by the Observer. 'Cars stop at door' indicates it was in the tramway era, so pre1930.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14   #23
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
This is a great advert it shows how long a history the shop had. Where does the advert come from? Is it photographic magazine?
The advert was in a programme for an Accrington Amateur Operatic Society production in the 1920's
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
The advert was in a programme for an Accrington Amateur Operatic Society production in the 1920's
Sodding hell, yer didn't do much in the way of opera,when we used to go down ewood.
Old 04-07-2011, 14:51   #25
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Sodding hell, yer didn't do much in the way of opera,when we used to go down ewood.
We used to sing on the Darwen End didn't we ?
Old 24-07-2011, 17:32   #26
Junior Member+

Thanks Jeff, it's good to put a date to the advert - can you get any closer than "the 1920s"? I am trying to find out when he became a photographer, and I know that in the 1911 census he was a textile machine fitter (I think at Howard & Bullough's).
Old 24-07-2011, 20:14   #27
Senior Member+

A reference book I have shows him at 114 between 1925 & 1939, though we know he was there much later.
He called the shop Walton's Imperial Studios

There was a William Walton in a studio 74 Geoffrey St & 1 Hill Place, Fishergate, Preston between 1898 & 1939 in the same book

The best books to check are the various Barrett's directories 1915,1925 1930,1935

Also look for ads in the Year books published by the Observer.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 07:24   #28

The advert shows the sale of oxygen for medical and "lantern" purposes. Anyone know what this was about?
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 10:12   #29

I think I can now answer my own question. Early magic lanterns used "limelight" - a very powerful light produced by burning a pellet of lime in oxygen - hence the term "in the limelight". Sounds very dangerous to me.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 18:09   #30

I have just been going through some old newspapers for the 1920's and found the advert in the paper in 1928. I will work back to see if I can find any others but they do appear in the telephone directory for 1922 at 114 Abbey Street.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abbey street, lanbridges, lang bridge & co ltd, photography, walton

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..