Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 18:23   #1

1st. Barbers

Mid 50's. My 1st. barbers shop was Len's (I think) at the bottom of Pendle St. He had a big cyst on his head, you remember that as a kid. I always remember going in there on Friday night, pay night, and sitting around the edge of the room reading old Beanos and Dandys. You would count the blokes in already and wait your turn. This went out the window as soon as an adult came in cause they bumped you straight away!!!!!! Proper barbers chair with a small plank across for us nippers!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2010, 19:51   #2
God Member

Re: 1st. Barbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Mid 50's. My 1st. barbers shop was Len's (I think) at the bottom of Pendle St. He had a big cyst on his head, you remember that as a kid. I always remember going in there on Friday night, pay night, and sitting around the edge of the room reading old Beanos and Dandys. You would count the blokes in already and wait your turn. This went out the window as soon as an adult came in cause they bumped you straight away!!!!!! Proper barbers chair with a small plank across for us nippers!
I can vaguely remember going to a barber's on Whalley Road ... somewhere between the Load and the bridge over the cut ... think the guy was Italian. The one that I remember a little more clearly was the guy who cut hair on Lower Barnes St., just down from the Forts. I know I used to hate going .... that's probably why I look like I do in my profile pic
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 20:19   #3

billy basigalupo whalley road tom dawson lower barnes st
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 20:35   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemedjuju View Post
billy basigalupo whalley road tom dawson lower barnes st

That's it Basigalupo .... it was hovering at the edge of my brain .... and Tom Dawson, yes.
Old 07-01-2010, 21:07   #5
Super Moderator

Roy Kayley's on Garbett Street...he did a mean short-back-and-sides. As soon as I got a bit more fashion conscious, around 1963, started going to Crawshaw's on Abbey Street. You could get a then-very fashionable square cut there, but if you were a kid, you had to bring a note from your mum or dad, as so many irate parents had turned up to complain that the barber hadn't give their son a "proper haircut" (ie - a short-back-and-sides).
Old 07-01-2010, 21:25   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

my first was "Joe Simpsons" on Lodge Street, quick nick everyone called him, but a top guy, when young i always wondered what "Need Something For The Weekend" meant, cos he always asked the men.
Old 07-01-2010, 22:06   #7
Senior Member+

This has made me chuckle. I had the job of taking my brother to the barbers on Blackburn Road. Can't remember any names but I think he might have repaired umbrellas too.

Our kid hated his short back and sides but I would have been in trouble if he'd have had anything different. Look after number one!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 23:09   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
my first was "Joe Simpsons" on Lodge Street, quick nick everyone called him, but a top guy, when young i always wondered what "Need Something For The Weekend" meant, cos he always asked the men.
He was a pimp!!!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 23:16   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
He was a pimp!!!!!
Possibly but it would be very lucrative in accy,
Old 08-01-2010, 04:13   #10

used to go to "Savins"..bottom of willows lane area, then cross road to Ivans....think Savin learnt him his trade
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:48   #11
Senior Member+

Used to go to Archibold at the bottom of water street,it was inbetween burnley rd
and water st. man and wife team,seem to think she was called Rene,??

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:19   #12

Me & my brothers went to Billy Faulds on Whalley Rd Clayton, inbetween Load of Mischief & Grayhound, Billy Basigaloupo's brother had a barbers shop in Warner st, last shop in arcade, anybody remember it .They both had the barber's pole outside. I remember the plank very well.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:24   #13
Resting in Peace

I always went to Jim Kershaws (his daughter is a member on here) when he packed up I started going to Chinnies in Accy, Plus Two I think it was called, The other half does mine now, every month a number 2 cut
Old 08-01-2010, 11:45   #14
Give, give, give member

Derek Wynn's in Ossy.

It was just before my third birthday, and I was taken by my dad.

I remember the electric trimmer tickling my neck.

Mum wasn't too happy, because I came back like a toddler army recruit, but with a Brylcreemed quiff.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 15:30   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Derek Wynn's in Ossy.

It was just before my third birthday, and I was taken by my dad.

I remember the electric trimmer tickling my neck.

Mum wasn't too happy, because I came back like a toddler army recruit, but with a Brylcreemed quiff.

Them were the days Rindi, Brylcreem, used to have a huge tub of the stuff on the bathroom windowsill, when I think back you'd wash your hair then whack some Brylcreem on, happy days

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..