Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2010, 16:32   #1

1st LP you bought and played it until your Mum wanted to kill you!!!!

Back in the mid 60's I think it was "Beach Boys Greatest Hits" or "Simon and Garfunkle, Sounds of Silence" Mum told me if she heard "Hello Darkness My Old Friend" one more time, the 1st day and night that I bought it, she would kill me. Didn't think she would, it was 4 in the morning and she had to get up for work soon!!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2010, 16:48   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: 1st LP you bought and played it until your Mum wanted to kill you!!!!

Plastic Letters by Blondie.

Easter 1978.

Cost £3.99.

We were up in the Lakes water skiing, for a long weekend.

It drove me potty, not being able to play it for five whole days. Though it was never off the stereo, once we were back home, and I still love it.

That was the first L.P. I bought myself. Though I'd grown up playing my parents albums, which were mainly Elvis and jazz. Again two areas of music I still adore.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 16:59   #3
white rabbits

Cumberland gap,,,,,lonnie donnigan,,,
Old 22-05-2010, 17:24   #4
God Member

Thriller
Bad
and Bananarama

got them all one christmas and played them for ages
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 19:26   #5
God Member

i went through about 6 copies of bat out of hell until cds came along which lasted longer than lp's but still didnt last that long

thank god for mp3's iv been listening to that album since childhood although not as much these days iv just got too much choice now

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 19:38   #6
Beacon of light

I couldn't afford LP records......but I drove my dad daft with 'Love me do' by the Beatles.
So much so that he cut the plug off my Dansette record player....and I tried to put a new one on and nearly electrocuted myself.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 21:59   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

That'll Be the Day- Buddy Holly think was his last album before he died in 59, but was around 60/61 when i collered it. think i got it from Marshalls but aint certain.
Old 22-05-2010, 22:07   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think i got it from Marshalls but aint certain.
Don't think so, mate...Marshalls didn't open until until '68. Possibly Mary's (Blackburn Road) or the Co-op in Abbey Street?

Mine was "The Angry Young Them" by, predictably enough, Them. Played it until it was knackered...couldn't get enough of their singer, some surly looking sod by the name of Van Morrison.
Old 22-05-2010, 22:11   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Don't think so, mate...Marshalls didn't open until until '68. Possibly Mary's (Blackburn Road) or the Co-op in Abbey Street?

Mine was "The Angry Young Them" by, predictably enough, Them. Played it until it was knackered...couldn't get enough of their singer, some surly looking sod by the name of Van Morrison.
musta been marys wyn cheers fer that, Twas marshalls that got me n even older record, that musta been very late 60s then.
Old 22-05-2010, 22:13   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
musta been marys wyn cheers fer that, Twas marshalls that got me n even older record, that musta been very late 60s then.
Is that the really rare 45 on the London label that you told me about - The Penguins I think?
Old 22-05-2010, 22:23   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Is that the really rare 45 on the London label that you told me about - The Penguins I think?
Nah mate was "Twilight Time the "Platters" had left my copy on window bottom one summers day n was desparate to replace it, took her about 5/6 weeks but she got it fer me, still have it today.
Old 22-05-2010, 22:28   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nah mate was "Twilight Time the "Platters" had left my copy on window bottom one summers day n was desparate to replace it, took her about 5/6 weeks but she got it fer me, still have it today.
Mrs Marshall was a good 'un. She knew she had a fair bit of competition, with Mary Mort a few doors down and she'd go the extra mile to get the record you wanted!
Old 23-05-2010, 00:15   #13
God Member

The first LP I bought with my own money was either a Bowie or a Slade ..already had a few Beatles and stuff..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 00:19   #14
God Member

I was just wondering if anyone remembers a second hand record shop just down from the Black Horse on Abbey St that sold records in the early 70's?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 07:43   #15

Elvis Golden Records, bought second hand from Mick Sturziker we sat together at holy family paid him back at a tanner a week.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..