Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2010, 18:20   #151
Senior Member+

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Just been thinkin, what was strange about playing darts in the Tan Pits, would probably be closer!! Is the plase still there and when was it built???
I dont know the answer to this and can only recall going in there a couple of times, and not to play darts, but as far as i remember it was quite a small pub, so i'm just going to guess its either something to do with the location of the dart board, or perhaps if 2 teams were playing, there wasn't room for them all in the room..as i stay just a wild guess!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2010, 18:24   #152
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Twas his geography that was wrong Barrie.
I know it's a bit of a thread wander Cashy. But Ive been meaning to ask you. Is there a pub in Accrington or Hyndburn you've never been in.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 23:21   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I remember the Tanpits in Church, but not the one in Oswaldtwistle. Can anyone tell me where it was please?
Yep you got me there, Don't know me Church from me Ossy!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 23:24   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I dont know the answer to this and can only recall going in there a couple of times, and not to play darts, but as far as i remember it was quite a small pub, so i'm just going to guess its either something to do with the location of the dart board, or perhaps if 2 teams were playing, there wasn't room for them all in the room..as i stay just a wild guess!

Best Regards - Taggy
Near enough, the ceiling was very low and I kid you not the locals used to throw the darts underhand because they couldn't get any loft on the dart. Must have been murder for the visiting team!!!
Old 16-04-2010, 23:51   #155
Senior Member+

Quote:
Near enough, the ceiling was very low and I kid you not the locals used to throw the darts underhand because they couldn't get any loft on the dart. Must have been murder for the visiting team!!!
I can also vaguely remember a kind of serving hatch just after you went in the door...again i dont know if thats memory being distorted with age...or if thats correct or not? The pub got modernised a bit in later years, which kind of removed any character from the place...i seem to remember all bright lights in there the last time i ever went in!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 17-04-2010, 00:14   #156
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I know it's a bit of a thread wander Cashy. But Ive been meaning to ask you. Is there a pub in Accrington or Hyndburn you've never been in.
Not to my knowledge Bernard,
Old 17-04-2010, 00:24   #157
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
It used to be a challenge when we were younger Bernard... to try to have a pint in em all before we were 18!!...i'm afraid these days...it wouldn't be as much of one!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 17-04-2010, 09:44   #158
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not to my knowledge Bernard,
Was that all on the same night cashy
Old 17-04-2010, 16:28   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I can also vaguely remember a kind of serving hatch just after you went in the door...again i dont know if thats memory being distorted with age...or if thats correct or not? The pub got modernised a bit in later years, which kind of removed any character from the place...i seem to remember all bright lights in there the last time i ever went in!

Best Regards - Taggy
Thanks Taggy. There was an off premises bar I think just as you went in the door, just a counter in a little corridor. Was there another pub anyone can remember that had one??
Old 17-04-2010, 17:33   #160
God Member

Quote:
Thanks Taggy. There was an off premises bar I think just as you went in the door, just a counter in a little corridor. Was there another pub anyone can remember that had one??
The Heys Inn Ossy had one, in the vestibule.

I passed it every day as I walked from school, via the allotment path, to Three Brooks mill where my mum and dad worked.(in mid/late 40s)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 21:52   #161
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Forgot to say GDM, the "Tanpits" became the "Plough Inn" a couple of years before it closed, cos never understand that, as there is a "Plough" up fielding lane ossy.
Old 08-05-2010, 15:15   #162

OK, lets have the worst/best pub, landlord, then and now?? Best for me was the Bridge back in the early 70's and the worst was the Broadway about 20 years ago when all the strange and weird drinkers had taken over!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:41   #163
Resting in Peace

Well the best in Accy that I remember(didn't drink much in accy until the eighties) was the Bridge Inn on Church Street, Dave and Sue Johnson, who I'm nearly sure know have the Peel Park, now whether Dave is still around I don't know, Sue was mayoress for Pam Barton and has don't a lot of charity work, Dave is a Brummie. Didn't really know any bad pubs then, but these days one of my old haunts from the sixties The Bay Horse ain't to clever, so I'm told although I have been in for donkey's years
Old 08-06-2010, 07:24   #164

There were some pubs in Ossy that were notably lax on under-age drinking. We used to frequent the New Inn (landlord Ged), the Bay Horse on Tinker Brow where you could run upstairs if the police came in & one down near St. Paul's school that I've forgotten the name of. To play snooker it was the Straits club in the week or Accy Con on a Saturday.

Favourite tipple - pint of mixed one & sevenpence halfpenny - 1962.

Last edited by davebtelford; 08-06-2010 at 07:32.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:59   #165
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
There were some pubs in Ossy that were notably lax on under-age drinking. We used to frequent the New Inn (landlord Ged), the Bay Horse on Tinker Brow where you could run upstairs if the police came in & one down near St. Paul's school that I've forgotten the name of. To play snooker it was the Straits club in the week or Accy Con on a Saturday.

Favourite tipple - pint of mixed one & sevenpence halfpenny - 1962.
was 2 near st pauls, if yer talking union rd, "Horseshoe" lions house, n "Prince Of Wales" Thwaites.

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..