Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 19:11   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
What year would that be .... I took off for university in '64 .... and in '67 I left for god's country ....
think 65- 67 ish memories not too great wi yrs dates etc. big scotch C.F. was captain fer junction i think.
Old 07-08-2009, 20:01   #17
Senior Member+

First Pint would have been Bridge in Accy, used to slip in back door, blocked up now!, swiftly followed by the Commercial (Now Regency Bar) had fun with the revolving door after a few, think the Landord was an Irish Bloke called Ken, that would be 1972 i was 15. First proper local was Great Eastern when they used to have a model train set running round the top of the Bar!! Hey happy days!! Used to wander around a bit in them days though in Pubs like, Duke of Wellington, Queens and Old House at Home and enjoyed or was it endured the company of the likes of Mick Sargison, Dave Salmon and George Norris!!!!

Best Regards - Taggy

Last edited by Taggy; 07-08-2009 at 20:07.
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 20:09   #18
Senior Member+

Cattle Market and Australian, down the ginnel from Joe Mort's, '54/'55 - definitely "Rites of Passage"
Old 07-08-2009, 20:16   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think 65- 67 ish memories not too great wi yrs dates etc. big scotch C.F. was captain fer junction i think.
Ok ... sounds like it may have been a little after my time .... and the years and dates do seem to drift together .... a lot of the time may have disappeared into a drunken haze ..... I suppose the old Junction is no more
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 20:19   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ok ... sounds like it may have been a little after my time .... and the years and dates do seem to drift together .... a lot of the time may have disappeared into a drunken haze ..... I suppose the old Junction is no more
Demolished long ago i'm afraid!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 07-08-2009, 20:25   #21
Senior Member+

I was sixteen when I first discovered alcohol. Having to avoid Church and Dale Street Club where my dad used to hang out, I travelled a bit! The Bridge was one, especially on Friday night, Rising Bridge was another and then when I turned seventeen it was time for the Mecca. In fact, my mate and I landed barmaid jobs at Burnley Mecca which was loads of fun. I was underage but lied! I remember getting well piddled at Bullough's Club one night and my Nana put me to bed with a bucket and saved me from a hiding.

I met my future husband that year and we used to go to Jean Daniel's pub off Plantation Street. Memories!
JayneyDan likes this.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 20:28   #22
God Member

You mean the Kings don't you June?
Old 07-08-2009, 20:32   #23
Senior Member+

Yes, Bernie, Jean was my Mother's best mate and I've known her for most of my life. Sorry to thread wander but I heard that she was mentioned in the Observer last week. Andy and I used to canoodle in the little snug, lol.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 20:45   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
Yes, Bernie, Jean was my Mother's best mate and I've known her for most of my life. Sorry to thread wander but I heard that she was mentioned in the Observer last week. Andy and I used to canoodle in the little snug, lol.
There is no little snug anymore, the pub has been opened up. Ian and I had our wedding reception there before it was altered.

My first boozers were the Imperial and the Big Crown. Jeez there were some characters in the Crown.
Old 07-08-2009, 21:06   #25
God Member

Mine was in The Weavers in Great Harwood.

Happy days.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:05   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
First pub was the Black Horse, Ossy then on to the Big D disco. After 2 halfs we were drunk and thought we were so cool.
The Black Horse Ossy, Sara can't remember that pub at all, and I think I've frequented every pub in Ossy over the years, a lot of which are closed now
Old 08-08-2009, 10:10   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
First Pint would have been Bridge in Accy, used to slip in back door, blocked up now!, swiftly followed by the Commercial (Now Regency Bar) had fun with the revolving door after a few, think the Landord was an Irish Bloke called Ken, that would be 1972 i was 15. First proper local was Great Eastern when they used to have a model train set running round the top of the Bar!! Hey happy days!! Used to wander around a bit in them days though in Pubs like, Duke of Wellington, Queens and Old House at Home and enjoyed or was it endured the company of the likes of Mick Sargison, Dave Salmon and George Norris!!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Good god Taggy, Mick, Dave and George, walking on eggshells around that company especially if Gary was with them

Last edited by jaysay; 08-08-2009 at 10:12.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:36   #28
God Member

1st Pint: Black Bull, Accy

Sort: Mixed

Price: 1/11d

Date: Dec 1969

Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:00   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
1st Pint: Black Bull, Accy

Sort: Mixed

Price: 1/11d

Date: Dec 1969

if that was in the evening i was in 7 nights a week,was me local, till jenny barred me in 70. though how ya could be 13 in 1969 when yer 107, ????
Old 08-08-2009, 12:36   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Good god Taggy, Mick, Dave and George, walking on eggshells around that company especially if Gary was with them
Aye yer not wrong there Jaysay, at least with the first 3 you could tell with one look what mood they were in, but Gary could flip so quick it was frightening!!! One minute nice as pie...next minute a complete animal!!

Going back many years my uncle was a pal of Dave Salmon, and when Dave got married my uncle who was a keen amateur photographer offered to take his wedding photo's as a wedding present. Well, all seemed to go well, and they had piccy's taken in a few locations including either Haworth or oakhill park, only for my uncle to find none of the photos had developed properly and were completely ruined!! Well as you can imagine, my uncle was crapping it at this point, but obviously had no option but to tell Dave what had happened. He took a pal with him, expecting the worse, but fortunately must have got Dave on a good day, and he actually laughed about it, and got everyone together again to have em redone...luckily all well second time around, but think my uncle's pants needed chucking away!!!

Best Regards - Taggy

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..