Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2013, 08:07   #466
Resting in Peace

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Think that pub would be the "Little Crown" dotti? a masseys house long gone.
Where was the Ritz Ballroom then cashy, I always thought it was near Church St.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2013, 08:10   #467
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It was i assumed dotti meant Church St, Glad to help dotti, seems funny i can remember pubs n not banks.
Old 31-01-2013, 08:31   #468
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
It was i assumed dotti meant Church St, Glad to help dotti, seems funny i can remember pubs n not banks.
Ya concidering you'd use one when you were sober and the other when you were brams and list
Old 31-01-2013, 09:03   #469

More than probable it WAS Church Street - at our age we're lucky to be able to remember the name of a town ne'er mind a street......
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 20:46   #470

Another watering-hole remembered from his misspent youth is the Thorn Inn at Church Kirk. He remembers the doorway was so low that people of above-average height had to duck their heads to enter, or take the step down. Was in the darts team - the very low big oak teams had plenty of darts stuck in them. Good times – hangovers aplenty!
Old 01-02-2013, 23:09   #471
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Another watering-hole remembered from his misspent youth is the Thorn Inn at Church Kirk. He remembers the doorway was so low that people of above-average height had to duck their heads to enter, or take the step down. Was in the darts team - the very low big oak teams had plenty of darts stuck in them. Good times – hangovers aplenty!
I do believe the Thorn is now closed
Old 03-02-2013, 17:26   #472
I am Banned

Thumbs up Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
I do believe the Thorn is now closed
Think it's still open ..according to a lad I've just been chatting to in't Peel Park over a pint of Acorn Blonde.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 18:13   #473
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Think it's still open ..according to a lad I've just been chatting to in't Peel Park over a pint of Acorn Blonde.
I could swear somebody was telling me the other week that the Thorn had been boarded up, that week, might be wrong
Old 04-02-2013, 11:54   #474
I am Banned

Quote:
I could swear somebody was telling me the other week that the Thorn had been boarded up, that week, might be wrong
Just been round to Church Kirk to do some brass-rubbing Mr J
Doors open at the Thorn Inn and it looked nice and tidy.
Can't say the same for the Cross Guns..looked tired and in need of some tlc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thorn.JPG (211.2 KB, 16 views)
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:44   #475
Senior Member+

Did one of my first ever djing gigs at the thorn about 1987

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 17:46   #476
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Just been round to Church Kirk to do some brass-rubbing Mr J
Doors open at the Thorn Inn and it looked nice and tidy.
Can't say the same for the Cross Guns..looked tired and in need of some tlc
Cheers D and for the pic too, ain't seen the thorn in years
Old 05-02-2013, 10:17   #477
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think the street name may have changed just about there Jay. The Ritz entrance was down the arcade(?), between Barnes Furniture/Carpets. Ritz entrance was to the left and Bullough's Cub to the right. The Ritz Cinema was a few yards further up the street.
Old 05-02-2013, 17:39   #478
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I think the street name may have changed just about there Jay. The Ritz entrance was down the arcade(?), between Barnes Furniture/Carpets. Ritz entrance was to the left and Bullough's Cub to the right. The Ritz Cinema was a few yards further up the street.
Ya Barrie that's where I thought it was which didn't seem the place that was being described in the post
Old 05-02-2013, 23:37   #479

Himself says he remembers that The Ritz Ballroom was on the corner of Cannon and Church Streets, so you are spot on there. Did a lot of tripping the light fantastic at The Ritz (or maybe just tripping over depending on how much time had been spent in the Little Crown beforehand).
One of his mates, Johnny Armstrong, was lead singer at The Ritz in those days - in the (earlier) '50's. Btw, does anyone know what happened to Johnny?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:18   #480
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Himself says he remembers that The Ritz Ballroom was on the corner of Cannon and Church Streets, so you are spot on there. Did a lot of tripping the light fantastic at The Ritz (or maybe just tripping over depending on how much time had been spent in the Little Crown beforehand).
One of his mates, Johnny Armstrong, was lead singer at The Ritz in those days - in the (earlier) '50's. Btw, does anyone know what happened to Johnny?
Dotti where was this Little Crown the only crown I can remember in Accy Centre, is the one which was near Joe Morts, Church side of the bridge on Blackburn Road

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..