Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 19:44   #481

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

He remembers well the Crown next to Joe Morts, Joe Morts was a place he and his mate frequently visited, and yep! he imbibed in that Crown also. As Joe Morts didn’t have a bar it was only dancing at that place (plus whatever he’s not telling me about!). The Little Crown was the name Cashman thought might have been the pub I mentioned in my initial post and this had rung a bell in the old boy’s noggin’ which is not to say the bell had rung the right tune….confusion being the norm to us old ‘uns!
Maybe there were two Crowns – the one next to J.M.’s and the ‘Little’ one near the Ritz (no bar there either) that started his downfall, or maybe it was a different place altogether. Anything’s possible. Long time ago now. Btw, wasn’t The Ritz and Joe Morts at the opposite ends of town?
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2013, 19:54   #482
Resting In Peace

This thread should answer your question...

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...f-60950-6.html
Old 06-02-2013, 23:06   #483

Many thanks for that Susie, much appreciated. I went to the thread and it has answered a lot of questions, including the fact that his memory isn't that bad after all, hmm!!
Old 06-02-2013, 23:29   #484

Hadn't realised so much had already been written re these places on the other thread, so I do apologise for that - glad to see that someone is on the ball!!!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17   #485
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti 34 View Post
He remembers well the Crown next to Joe Morts, Joe Morts was a place he and his mate frequently visited, and yep! he imbibed in that Crown also. As Joe Morts didn't have a bar it was only dancing at that place (plus whatever he’s not telling me about!). The Little Crown was the name Cashman thought might have been the pub I mentioned in my initial post and this had rung a bell in the old boy’s noggin’ which is not to say the bell had rung the right tune….confusion being the norm to us old ‘uns!
Maybe there were two Crowns – the one next to J.M.’s and the ‘Little’ one near the Ritz (no bar there either) that started his downfall, or maybe it was a different place altogether. Anything’s possible. Long time ago now. Btw, wasn't The Ritz and Joe Morts at the opposite ends of town?
Well there was A pub on Church Street in 1909 according to a post by Steve, but can't remember it being there in the early 60s dotti? the only other Crown I know is the Crown pub on Whalley from which Stanley's ground is named
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 18:15   #486

You're still a spring chicken jaysay - try the early '50's......and, according to the forum thread that Susie mentions, the Little Crown was in Church Street. Apparently was only the size of a terraced house (am quoting from Margaret Pilkington's post in that forum last year - hope you don't mind Margaret) and the licensed premises were just one room, hence I suppose the name 'Little'. That would make for cosy chats......
Old 07-02-2013, 19:13   #487
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
You're still a spring chicken jaysay - try the early '50's......and, according to the forum thread that Susie mentions, the Little Crown was in Church Street. Apparently was only the size of a terraced house (am quoting from Margaret Pilkington's post in that forum last year - hope you don't mind Margaret) and the licensed premises were just one room, hence I suppose the name 'Little'. That would make for cosy chats......
Sounds like the vault in the heys inn back yon
Old 08-02-2013, 11:17   #488
I am Banned

Quote:
Himself says he remembers that The Ritz Ballroom was on the corner of Cannon and Church Streets, so you are spot on there. Did a lot of tripping the light fantastic at The Ritz (or maybe just tripping over depending on how much time had been spent in the Little Crown beforehand).
One of his mates, Johnny Armstrong, was lead singer at The Ritz in those days - in the (earlier) '50's. Btw, does anyone know what happened to Johnny?
Don't know if Mr Dotti ever ventured out in "Snuffy Arrod" but this is a cracking little site....
Great Harwood Pubs

I reckon the Accyweb should commission Mr jaysay and Mr cashman to do one for Accy They have the knowledge
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 16:10   #489
God Member

Quote:
Quite a few pubs only the size of a terraced house ... Village Blacksmith on Bayley St., Clayton (bottom end of course, just up the street from the Bottom Club) for example. Dutton's house; served a grand pint ... often stopped in there for a quick one on the way down to the Fort's, which was a fair distance away ... almost a 2 minute walk.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 17:18   #490
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Don't know if Mr Dotti ever ventured out in "Snuffy Arrod" but this is a cracking little site....
Great Harwood Pubs

I reckon the Accyweb should commission Mr jaysay and Mr cashman to do one for Accy They have the knowledge
Well cashy would be fine, he's probably been thrown out of every pub in accy years ago, myself am not fully conversant of all accy pubs but ossy is a different matter, sad to say many of the pubs that were around when I first set out down the amber nectar road are no longer open, which is a crying shame
Old 08-02-2013, 17:19   #491
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Quite a few pubs only the size of a terraced house ... Village Blacksmith on Bayley St., Clayton (bottom end of course, just up the street from the Bottom Club) for example. Dutton's house; served a grand pint ... often stopped in there for a quick one on the way down to the Fort's, which was a fair distance away ... almost a 2 minute walk.
A man could die of thirst walking that far without a drink Eric
Old 08-02-2013, 17:22   #492
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I served my time at the English Electric and remember more than one housewife in her scarf and curlers waiting at the back gates of th'Lectric on paydays to get first dibbs on their husbands pay packet before the Village Blacksmith
Old 08-02-2013, 17:24   #493
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well cashy would be fine, he's probably been thrown out of every pub in accy years ago, myself am not fully conversant of all accy pubs but ossy is a different matter, sad to say many of the pubs that were around when I first set out down the amber nectar road are no longer open, which is a crying shame
Prince of Wales eh Mr j ? those were the good old days
Old 08-02-2013, 19:04   #494
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
I served my time at the English Electric and remember more than one housewife in her scarf and curlers waiting at the back gates of th'Lectric on paydays to get first dibbs on their husbands pay packet before the Village Blacksmith
I used to live at 46 Rishton Rd., and my dad worked at English Electric for a while before shifting to Huncoat power station. I remember the crew walking down Charles (?) St. at quitting time. I think that the Village must have been the closest pub to the plant. A long way to go on pay day, with a thirst on. Even beer at 1/10d a pint could make a big hole in the pay packet.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 22:16   #495

Eric - himself says he briefly worked at the Huncoat Power Station when the foundations were being put in for the cooling towers. 'Briefly' meaning only lasted two to three weeks, too bleeding cold and wet down there, probably about 30 foot deep full of mud and sludge. Not the best working conditions for an apprentice lad of about 18...
He remembers 1/6d a bottle for Younger's Double Century at the Con Club. He reckons it was the best bottled brew out - apparently not brewed anymore. Dutton's O.B.J.'s and Thwaite's Dark Ale (can't remember the name of it) all enjoyed, but the Younger's was the best.

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..