Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013, 22:22   #496

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Re the Great Harwood Pubs, a very interesting and well put together site - but himself didn't go to the pubs there, did go roller skating every Saturday morning at G.H. - that was well before his drinking age, and even before he could 'get away with it'.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09   #497
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Prince of Wales eh Mr j ? those were the good old days
Ya the good old prince of wales, the third form had history lessons in the snug
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:15   #498
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Eric - himself says he briefly worked at the Huncoat Power Station when the foundations were being put in for the cooling towers. 'Briefly' meaning only lasted two to three weeks, too bleeding cold and wet down there, probably about 30 foot deep full of mud and sludge. Not the best working conditions for an apprentice lad of about 18...
He remembers 1/6d a bottle for Younger's Double Century at the Con Club. He reckons it was the best bottled brew out - apparently not brewed anymore. Dutton's O.B.J.'s and Thwaite's Dark Ale (can't remember the name of it) all enjoyed, but the Younger's was the best.
Used to work with a bloke dotti who drank nothing else but Double Century's he used to call them soldiers, I said to him why do you call um soldiers Charlie he said they're stood to attention on the bar shelf
Old 09-02-2013, 09:38   #499
I am Banned

Quote:
Eric - himself says he briefly worked at the Huncoat Power Station when the foundations were being put in for the cooling towers. 'Briefly' meaning only lasted two to three weeks, too bleeding cold and wet down there, probably about 30 foot deep full of mud and sludge. Not the best working conditions for an apprentice lad of about 18...
He remembers 1/6d a bottle for Younger's Double Century at the Con Club. He reckons it was the best bottled brew out - apparently not brewed anymore. Dutton's O.B.J.'s and Thwaite's Dark Ale (can't remember the name of it) all enjoyed, but the Younger's was the best.
mmm dotti remember drinking Double C's in the Con...perfectly poured into a half glass mind (not necked from the bottle as is the way these days ..shudder !!)
Rose and Crown up Ossy used to sell it back in those days too. Two Double C's in a pint glass magic
Thwaites Dark Ale would be Old Dan I am guessing.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:40   #500
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya the good old prince of wales, the third form had history lessons in the snug
Used to go out with a girl off Alice Street in Ossy..never had history lessons in the "Prinny" ...more like Future lessons well she knew what was gonna happen later anyway.

Last edited by DtheP47; 09-02-2013 at 09:44.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:44   #501
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Used to go out with a girl off Alice Street in Ossy..never had history lessons in the "Prinny" ...more like Future lessons
Ya but that wouldn't be future education would it
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17   #502
I am Banned

Quote:
Ya but that wouldn't be future education would it
Thay are always telling you what's gonna@ happen .. As WW used to say "A womans mind is like her hand bag, you never know what's in it and what's gonna pop out"
Old 10-02-2013, 03:31   #503

Shared memories apparently, DtheP47, made him thirsty thinking about it. Now this next bit has nothing to do with Accrington but definitely to do with the amber liquid. With the cost of beer going up and up, a few years ago himself decided to go down the home brew track. Assured me that the initial outlay would soon pay for itself, home brews being but a fraction of the retail price of beer.
Working on the premise that the more you drink the more you save, he was very enthusiastic and by the time he’d done the last brew he had filled some 4,200 stubbies (Aussie bottles of 375 mls). He gave a lot away to friends as he needed the bottles and even he couldn’t drink the stuff fast enough to keep up the supply of empties. It was so successful that it became like an addiction but he eventually gave the game away a while ago – still have a few bottles of Stout left which are about 7 years old. Not game to try them….
…and I might add that I’m still waiting for the savings.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:02   #504
Resting in Peace

I've started drinking natural beers at home usually 5% or above, last week Joan cam up with two from Aldi, from a Scottish brewing company, think they were specials, although not 5% they were very tasty. Robbie Burns 4.2% and William Wallace 4.5% burns is a darker beer Wallace is a blond, the trouble with Aldi is they only get so many and when that's gone there's no more, Joan managed to pick me up 12 of each on Monday had a Wallace last night
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16   #505
I am Banned

Quote:
Shared memories apparently, DtheP47, made him thirsty thinking about it. Now this next bit has nothing to do with Accrington but definitely to do with the amber liquid. With the cost of beer going up and up, a few years ago himself decided to go down the home brew track. …and I might add that I’m still waiting for the savings.
Home brewing had (has) its followers back in the 70's and 80's for sure There used to be a cracking Homebrew Supplies shop on Cross Street just round the corner from the Warners. I never really got used to the smell but as most people know you could tweak the strengths and that was the attraction for sure. The current Mrs P was never happy with the big fermenting jars under the stairs or me taking over the kitchen when bottling.
Truth be told now though there is such a range of good bottled beers on offer everywhere as Mr J says, it's not worth the faff these days.

And if you are a people person (like me **)it's much more convivial propping up a bar engaging in intelligent conversations ("some not so intelligent if last night in the Forts was anything to go by" shouts Mrs P)
Well I blame the 5 pints of Kelham Island Tin Can . Good job they didn't have Thornbridges Jaipur on !!

** No heckling from the back thank you
Old 10-02-2013, 12:55   #506
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
last week Joan cam up with two from Aldi, from a Scottish brewing company, think they were specials, although not 5% they were very tasty. Robbie Burns 4.2% and William Wallace 4.5%
These are the Badgers Jay

Scottish brewery wins contract to sell ales throughout UK | Deadline News
Old 10-02-2013, 18:05   #507
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
That's the one Dave, they do some great beers, for the discerning home drinker
Old 10-02-2013, 20:15   #508

One of my sons does home brewing when he has the time but not the straight-forward, run-of-the-mill brews. He adds a bit of this and a bit of that with great results. Enjoys brewing – think he takes after me for that, though my brewing is more like an eye of a toad, leg of a frog, with the odd newt thrown in sort of brew……
Old 10-02-2013, 20:22   #509

Home drinking is great - relaxing and enjoying with no worries about donating to the Government coffers through being caught by the boys in blue, should a person be foolish enough to drink and drive. Personally I don't like beer (dare I say that on this thread) - think it's horrible stuff, but do enjoy other liquid 'refreshments'. Cheers!!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:38   #510
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Home drinking is great - relaxing and enjoying with no worries about donating to the Government coffers through being caught by the boys in blue, should a person be foolish enough to drink and drive. Personally I don't like beer (dare I say that on this thread) - think it's horrible stuff, but do enjoy other liquid 'refreshments'. Cheers!!!!
I don't like beer dottiYou'll have Less and Mick frothing at the mouth with a statement like that, and a few more not far behind, including me

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..