Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013, 09:06   #511
I am Banned

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Home drinking is great - relaxing and enjoying with no worries about donating to the Government coffers through being caught by the boys in blue, should a person be foolish enough to drink and drive. Personally I don't like beer (dare I say that on this thread) - think it's horrible stuff, but do enjoy other liquid 'refreshments'. Cheers!!!!
On the subject of Cheers (the TV series) Norm Peterson my hero

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.

"Cheers" (1982) - Memorable quotes
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2013, 09:42   #512
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
On the subject of Cheers (the TV series) Norm Peterson my hero

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.

"Cheers" (1982) - Memorable quotes
Thats a bit like saying to the wife I'm just nipping to the local for an odd pint love. Nine or eleven
DtheP47 likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:46   #513
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That's the one Dave, they do some great beers, for the discerning home drinker
What in the sam hell is a discerning home home drinker Someone who sips on a brewskie and, instead of belching, discusses its flavor, its bucket, (I love that show, particularly Hyacinth), its discreet hint of smokiness and all that horse manure?

Or is more like how I interpret it. Everything is as long as you can discern the fridge through a haze of alcohol and fragrant smoke
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 17:22   #514
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
What in the sam hell is a discerning home home drinker Someone who sips on a brewskie and, instead of belching, discusses its flavor, its bucket, (I love that show, particularly Hyacinth), its discreet hint of smokiness and all that horse manure?

Or is more like how I interpret it. Everything is as long as you can discern the fridge through a haze of alcohol and fragrant smoke
Well somat like that without the smoke Eric
Old 02-05-2013, 08:34   #515
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Had my first pint in the catholic club. I think thats what it was called. Upstairs in Warner street Accy. (I think.) Tony Boardman and me.We were only kids about 14, dont know how we got away with it. Used to drink in the Royal and Globe on blackburn road with me dad and also in the Richmond. Bob Burnside Gerrald Moores and me used to drink in the Australian. My mate Gerrald Moores dad was gaffer at the time. Got done in the Bridge when I was 17. £5 for drinking underage. I was the oldest in the pub at the time.
Drunk in most pubs in Accy,Ossy and Blackburn in the 60s. The last pint I had in Accy was in the Black Horse. about 1969. Moved south for work and crap ale.
Well blow me down with a feather Mog.. I went to Dennis Cook's funeral yesterday (See Accy Stanley thread) and afterwards at Enfield CC... young Mr Moores was there. I was completely thrown at first because he was with Barbara (Haining)...I thought I had fallen through a worm hole and gone back in time and space :-)
Well some ales were supped and some reminiscing I can tell you.....
He is still living down Church and reckons Bob B is back in Accy living back at his mums up Spring Hill.
Anyroad he has asked me to ask you can you remember you and him locking Wayne Fontana in the bogs at the Con.....?
I'll let you share that with the forum
I'll pm you his e-mail and I've told him to get on here.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48   #516
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Used to play football after school wi Gerald on owd Broadway car park.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:52   #517
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Used to play football after school wi Gerald on owd Broadway car park.
oops sorry Mr C...you got a mention too Barbara say's last time she saw you was int' Plough DJocking...
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08   #518
Mog

Quote:
Well blow me down with a feather Mog.. I went to Dennis Cook's funeral yesterday (See Accy Stanley thread) and afterwards at Enfield CC... young Mr Moores was there. I was completely thrown at first because he was with Barbara (Haining)...I thought I had fallen through a worm hole and gone back in time and space :-)
Well some ales were supped and some reminiscing I can tell you.....
He is still living down Church and reckons Bob B is back in Accy living back at his mums up Spring Hill.
Anyroad he has asked me to ask you can you remember you and him locking Wayne Fontana in the bogs at the Con.....?
I'll let you share that with the forum
I'll pm you his e-mail and I've told him to get on here.
Yes I do remember it well. Wayne was drinking in the bar before hand. Dont know why we done it though but he tried to autograph my hand and I wasnt having any of that. Are you sure about Bob, I was told he had passed away a few years ago. You sure because he would be 67 just before this coming christmas. Living with his mam sounds a bit unusal mate.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:30   #519
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Yes I do remember it well. Wayne was drinking in the bar before hand. Dont know why we done it though but he tried to autograph my hand and I wasnt having any of that. Are you sure about Bob, I was told he had passed away a few years ago. You sure because he would be 67 just before this coming christmas. Living with his mam sounds a bit unusal mate.
Jezz reckons that about Bob...did question it with him because I too (and Connie) had heard he has passed ???
Truth be told I reckon I would have heard from Dennis Entwistle if he was back in town ???
I'll do some checking with all the usual suspects.

Hey and Jezz reckons you fell down the Con stairs showing off Wayne Fontana's autograph and not looking where you were going
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35   #520
God Member

I lived next door to Gerry Moores in Church from 1995 to 2002.

So he has got himself yet another woman. His 2nd wife left him and a rowdy girlfriend moved in during those years.

Any woman will be an improvement on that rowdy female - they battled on the street as well as in the house (police were called often).

She was the main reason I moved.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51   #521
Mog

Quote:
Jezz reckons that about Bob...did question it with him because I too (and Connie) had heard he has passed ???
Truth be told I reckon I would have heard from Dennis Entwistle if he was back in town ???

Hey and Jezz reckons you fell down the Con stairs showing off Wayne Fontana's autograph and not looking where you were going
If I ever did fall down the Con stairs, it would have been down to the copious amounts of ale that i had consumed and not a poxy autograph, but I did have a bit of a chat with him. Thought Wayne was a bit odd walking through the park um um um um um um um.
DtheP47 likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07   #522
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I lived next door to Gerry Moores in Church from 1995 to 2002.

So he has got himself yet another woman. His 2nd wife left him and a rowdy girlfriend moved in during those years.

Any woman will be an improvement on that rowdy female - they battled on the street as well as in the house (police were called often).

She was the main reason I moved.
mmmm Jezz did say one of his relationships was err? tempestuous MargaretR

The Barbara I referred to was wifey #1 they are still friends Dennis Cook was a neighbour when they were together.

He has indeed remarried and seems/sounds settled.

Last edited by DtheP47; 02-05-2013 at 12:10.
Old 02-05-2013, 17:26   #523
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Hell I ain't heard of Dennis Entwistle for many a year Mr D
Old 02-05-2013, 18:53   #524
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hell I ain't heard of Dennis Entwistle for many a year Mr D
Den's alive and well living down Hazel Grove Clayton... creature of habit can usually be found Sat/Sunday afternoon in the Greyhound.
He's missing out on this years "Lads n Dads" to Benidorm, reckon's he's too old.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:22   #525
Mog

Quote:
mmmm Jezz did say one of his relationships was err? tempestuous MargaretR

The Barbara I referred to was wifey #1 they are still friends Dennis Cook was a neighbour when they were together.

He has indeed remarried and seems/sounds settled.
I have also had a few wives of my own, I have also had a few of others wives as well, but I am now Happily single again. I have never had a tempestrous lady. I have been with a few mad ones though. I cant remember Dennis Cook though D.

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..