Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2009, 18:53   #46
Resting In Peace

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

same pub same year cashy, then from there to the junction another little lads pub.happy days.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-08-2009, 19:30   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
same pub same year cashy, then from there to the junction another little lads pub.happy days.
oh i moved to the Horseshoe before Junction they used to call that "Learners Arms"
Old 14-08-2009, 19:29   #48
Full Member+

First pint in a pokey little hole on Ledger st, can't remember what it was called ...Ledger Arms maybe ? First local The Swan
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 20:46   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Used to go in there every lunch time when I was at college many moons ago, if I remember it was magnet ales Sam Smiths I think
I may be wrong Jaysay but wasn't the Johns pub a Thwaites House and the New Brewery round the corner Sam Smiths? There was also the Royal round the corner from the New Brewery too but i cant quite recall what that was...could have been Matthew Brown but not at all sure! They were all pubs i used to go in years ago along wi Boars Head, but the memory's not as good as it was!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 20:54   #50
God Member

My first was the Park Inn on Manchester Road aged 15...after 3 pints of bitter I was staggering around suppin any drink left unattended...luckily I escaped a thumping but Dennis the Landlord had enough and got his wife Doreen to chuck me out
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 21:39   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I may be wrong Jaysay but wasn't the Johns pub a Thwaites House and the New Brewery round the corner Sam Smiths? There was also the Royal round the corner from the New Brewery too but i cant quite recall what that was...could have been Matthew Brown but not at all sure! They were all pubs i used to go in years ago along wi Boars Head, but the memory's not as good as it was!

Best Regards - Taggy
St Johns was Thwaites Taggy, New Brewery John Smiths, Royal Oak - Thwaites, n Reamer think ya probably mean the ST.Ledger which was on Plantation St, n old haunt of "Tommy 2 Guns" in early mid 60s many probably don't know of him,but Bob Dobson certainly does.that was also a Thwaites pub, just around corner on Elephant St was the Welcome Inn, n top left the Colliers both Mathew Brown/Lions houses, was a top little circuit once of a day.
Old 14-08-2009, 21:47   #52
Senior Member+

Trust you to turn up trumps Cashy!! I was pretty sure that St Johns was Thwaites, and that New Brewery was one of the Smiths!! (Sam or John) Couldnt for life of me recall what the Royal was...and ive had a few in there over time...mind you it did shut some time back now! Yes i know its an lame excuse but its all i can come up wi!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 14-08-2009, 22:04   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Trust you to turn up trumps Cashy!! I was pretty sure that St Johns was Thwaites, and that New Brewery was one of the Smiths!! (Sam or John) Couldnt for life of me recall what the Royal was...and ive had a few in there over time...mind you it did shut some time back now! Yes i know its an lame excuse but its all i can come up wi!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
was quite n authority on pubs n ale back in the day Taggy, am now paying the price fer the sins of youth.was in the Royal Oak one dinner time wi George Best Taggy, but thats another story.
Old 14-08-2009, 22:08   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was quite n authority on pubs n ale back in the day Taggy, am now paying the price fer the sins of youth.
Yeh but dont knock it Cashy, all that experience is now being used for our benefit!!! We do appreciate what you went through to aquire this knowledge!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 15-08-2009, 09:13   #55
Full Member+

You're right, Cashy, it was the St Ledger and I remember the Colliers too, another pokey little place. Now I think about it, the flats that replaced them still retain the name - St Ledger Court
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 09:17   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy
Spot on Taggy, twas the New Brewery, it appears the little grey cells are disappearing faster than I thought
Old 15-08-2009, 09:21   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
My first was the Park Inn on Manchester Road aged 15...after 3 pints of bitter I was staggering around suppin any drink left unattended...luckily I escaped a thumping but Dennis the Landlord had enough and got his wife Doreen to chuck me out
What year was that Mancie, I used the Park in the late seventies about 77/78, Denbo took over at Ossy con after leaving there, left there in about 1998, he died about 3 or 4 years ago
Old 15-08-2009, 09:51   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
You're right, Cashy, it was the St Ledger and I remember the Colliers too, another pokey little place. Now I think about it, the flats that replaced them still retain the name - St Ledger Court
pokey yes but top boozers wi loads of characters,in their day, could tell ya some tales about that little circuit.
Old 16-08-2009, 18:58   #59
Senior Member+

Have all those pubs closed now? The ones like Great Eastern, St Johns, New Brewery, Royal Oak, etc? I know the Boar's Head is still open, even though I haven't been in there for donkey's years.
Old 16-08-2009, 19:01   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Have all those pubs closed now? The ones like Great Eastern, St Johns, New Brewery, Royal Oak, etc? I know the Boar's Head is still open, even though I haven't been in there for donkey's years.
Yep, all those 4 have gone now i'm afraid. Great Eastern was the last of them to close! Had some really good times in them over the years!

Best Regards - Taggy

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..