Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2009, 13:38   #61
Junior Member+

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Pickup Arms was the first drink, but regular was the St Ledger used to walk down from the Tech when on day release, which extended into Night School
Rycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2009, 14:32   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycroft View Post
Pickup Arms was the first drink, but regular was the St Ledger used to walk down from the Tech when on day release, which extended into Night School
used to do both of em in 60s Rycroft. Bill n Tresa had the pickups back then top couple, St.Ledger on plantation st was one of my little circuit others being Welcome Inn n Colliers, if it was in those days our paths musta crossed.
Old 17-09-2009, 15:46   #63
Junior Member+

You must of done the Printers as well then Cash , Bill was OK used to find Teresa could be a bit offish at times !!!. What was the pub just down from the Palladium on the left hand side just before the turning into the Empire ???
Old 17-09-2009, 15:54   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

the Royal mate Thwaites house, Joe Gallager was landlord.
Old 17-09-2009, 15:58   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You must of done the Printers as well then Cash , Bill was OK used to find Teresa could be a bit offish at times !!!. What was the pub just down from the Palladium on the left hand side just before the turning into the Empire ???
The Royal(Thwaites), twas my grandfathers watering hole when I was young, the further down was the Station (Thwaites), just before the railway bridge and at the other side was the Rose Bud(Duttons) , and the Greyhound(Thwaites)
Old 17-09-2009, 16:39   #66
Junior Member+

That sounds spot on, then it was the Church Conservative Club ?? We could start a competition here name that Pub starting at Church Traffic Lights up to the Black Dog.
Just remembered the pub for the younger age group in Ossy was the Plane Tree !!!!
Old 18-09-2009, 10:16   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That sounds spot on, then it was the Church Conservative Club ?? We could start a competition here name that Pub starting at Church Traffic Lights up to the Black Dog.
Just remembered the pub for the younger age group in Ossy was the Plane Tree !!!!
The Plane Tree, a few of doors up from the Bay Horse, it closed just after I started drinking must have been 62/63, nearly sure its part of Franco's now. other Ossy pubs that closed were the Prince of Wales and the Horseshoe which where pulled down to make way for the council flats on St Pauls Court, Worsley Court and Meadow Court
Old 06-10-2009, 20:37   #68

Eric
It is a small world.The Junction was my watering hole.I live twenty miles north of you in Perth Road Village Ontario.WE drink in the Rose & Crown,on highway 2 in Kingston, friday supper time.
Mick Pettifer
mickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 22:02   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp View Post
Eric
It is a small world.The Junction was my watering hole.I live twenty miles north of you in Perth Road Village Ontario.WE drink in the Rose & Crown,on highway 2 in Kingston, friday supper time.
Mick Pettifer
Small world indeed, Mick .... Haven't been in the Rose and Crown since they moved out of the Cat Centre ... used to drink in the Rose and Crown when Eddie first opened it on Division Street, which would be almost 20 years ago, and then in the Rose and Crown Downtown on Brock Street when Mike Sullivan (late of Brighton) owned it .... I trust Eddie and Sheena are well.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 15:09   #70

What was the name of the pub at the opposite end of the Arndale. It was part of our Friday night run when I 1st started drinking with mates in 1970'ish. Broadway, Mr. Pickwick, Bridge, Bees Knees, that pub, back in the Pickwick then a lock in at the Broadway!!!! A good Friday night!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 15:47   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
What was the name of the pub at the opposite end of the Arndale. It was part of our Friday night run when I 1st started drinking with mates in 1970'ish. Broadway, Mr. Pickwick, Bridge, Bees Knees, that pub, back in the Pickwick then a lock in at the Broadway!!!! A good Friday night!
ya probably mean the "Astronaught" dunno if spelt right.
Old 15-11-2009, 19:17   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ya probably mean the "Astronaught" dunno if spelt right.
That was it, thanks.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 23:23   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
wadey.
I think it is The Black Bull
mickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 03:55   #74

The astronaudht was on union street, and at one time had a car sticking out of the front of the building!!..big lounge type bar downstairs and a disco upstairs..... The bull was at the end of Hyndburn road as it was in the "good old days" before we lost the big car park....just a thought...was it the black bull or the white bull?..can't seem to remember nowadays...cheers
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 23:15   #75
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngleIron View Post
The astronaudht was on union street, and at one time had a car sticking out of the front of the building!!..big lounge type bar downstairs and a disco upstairs..... The bull was at the end of Hyndburn road as it was in the "good old days" before we lost the big car park....just a thought...was it the black bull or the white bull?..can't seem to remember nowadays...cheers
was ye olde black bull mate, me local fer years in 60s, till jenny barred me.

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..