Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 21:12   #91

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

First local was the TRAMWAY. late 70's.was seriously under age but silvia needed the customers
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-01-2010, 01:44   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
First local was the TRAMWAY. late 70's.was seriously under age but silvia needed the customers
My 1st "proper" local was the Castle up Whalley Rd around 1970ish, was 16ish. Funny how most 1st. local are on the grubby side innit!!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 02:12   #93

Mine was the Black Horse 1980.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 10:20   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
My 1st "proper" local was the Castle up Whalley Rd around 1970ish, was 16ish. Funny how most 1st. local are on the grubby side innit!!!
Who was Landlord them was it Jack Witham or as he was known Castle Jack
Old 14-01-2010, 01:43   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Who was Landlord them was it Jack Witham or as he was known Castle Jack
Sory Jaysay, far too long to remember! I do remember getting on the bus to Whalley as the pubs closed half hour later! Took that long to get there?????
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 08:02   #96
Full Member+

Cant remember what the landlord name was but if I remember right Brian Whittam (who I was at school with) dad ran a pub
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 09:59   #97
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Angel View Post
Cant remember what the landlord name was but if I remember right Brian Whittam (who I was at school with) dad ran a pub
It was definitely Jack Whitham who had the Castle Angel was in there in the late seventies into the eighties
Old 14-01-2010, 13:26   #98

My first pint was in The Tramway in 1962 Joe Singleton was the Landlord His wife I think had been licensee for donkey's years the look on Joes face when he bought me a pint on my 18th in 1963.
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 15:13   #99
Resting in Peace

I can remember standing at the bar in the Bay Horse chatting to the landlord and came out with a statement "well I'm young enough I'm only 17
quickly followed by er eighteen I mean
Old 14-01-2010, 18:03   #100
God Member

I think my first pint was in the AEU club on the corner of Paxton St. and Blackburn Road, 10p if I remember correctly. I remember Johnnie Walker taking me in the King's on my seventeenth birthday and telling Frank Daniels it was my eighteenth, free beer all night. First local was the Peel Park.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 18:17   #101
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I think my first pint was in the AEU club on the corner of Paxton St. and Blackburn Road, 10p if I remember correctly. I remember Johnnie Walker taking me in the King's on my seventeenth birthday and telling Frank Daniels it was my eighteenth, free beer all night. First local was the Peel Park.
Going out drinking with Mr Walker. You're where braver than me.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 18:28   #102
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Had many many Drinks with Johnny over the years, ive just about lived to tell the tale!!...Just as well they didn't give him free beer for the night...they'd have gone bust!! A Drinking ....and Eating Legend!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 18:36   #103
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Had many many Drinks with Johnny over the years, ive just about lived to tell the tale!!...Just as well they didn't give him free beer for the night...they'd have gone bust!! A Drinking ....and Eating Legend!!

Best Regards - Taggy
You should get one of those tea shirts printed, I drank with Johnny Walker and lived to tell the tale.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 18:55   #104
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
You should get one of those tea shirts printed, I drank with Johnny Walker and lived to tell the tale.
Lol!....Be proud to wear it Bernard!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 19:26   #105

the castle pub may be grubby now but when john and marie whittam were there it certainly was not they ran the castle for 17years and the brewery during that time scale would not have allowed them stay so long if they were not satified with the running of the pub
keith is offline   Reply With Quote

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..