Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2010, 19:34   #106
Super Moderator

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Had many many Drinks with Johnny over the years, ive just about lived to tell the tale!!...Just as well they didn't give him free beer for the night...they'd have gone bust!! A Drinking ....and Eating Legend!!

Best Regards - Taggy
You went drinking with Johnny? Even I'd have found it difficult keeping up with him, even when I was at the top of my game, supping-wise!
Old 14-01-2010, 19:38   #107
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You went drinking with Johnny? Even I'd have found it difficult keeping up with him, even when I was at the top of my game, supping-wise!
Oh aye, many times actually, even went on Pub trip to Spain with him a couple of times!!...He was known as "Mr Whisky" there!! Lol!... We always met up on 31st July too, as it was both our Birthdays!.....I dont have too many memories of 1st August tho!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 20:07   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I can remember standing at the bar in the Bay Horse chatting to the landlord and came out with a statement "well I'm young enough I'm only 17
quickly followed by er eighteen I mean
Went to the Park Inn on my 18th Birthday... told Dennis the Landlord it's mi 18th so he pulls me a pint..I was being abit cocky cos I'd already been drinking there for a couple of years.. Dennis looks up winks and say's "do you think I didn't know?"
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 10:07   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
You should get one of those tea shirts printed, I drank with Johnny Walker and lived to tell the tale.
Johnny was a proper drinker, bet he would have fitted in with the Railway research team or maybe not
Old 15-01-2010, 10:10   #110
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Went to the Park Inn on my 18th Birthday... told Dennis the Landlord it's mi 18th so he pulls me a pint..I was being abit cocky cos I'd already been drinking there for a couple of years.. Dennis looks up winks and say's "do you think I didn't know?"
You didn't get much past Dennis Mancie, he was the original wily old bird was our Denbo
Old 15-01-2010, 10:35   #111
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You didn't get much past Dennis Mancie, he was the original wily old bird was our Denbo
Top geezer Denbo, worked fer him quite a bit when he had ossy con.
Old 15-01-2010, 11:16   #112
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Top geezer Denbo, worked fer him quite a bit when he had ossy con.
Ossy Con:e ek:
Old 15-01-2010, 14:00   #113
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy
A Drinking ....and Eating Legend!!
I once went in Barnes St. chippy with the late Mr. Walker after a pint in the Kings, I ordered fish and chips, John had fish, chips and peas with a steak pudding on top. When we went to the counter to pay John ordered fish and chips to take out. "Those for your dad?" I asked. "No" said John, "They're to eat on the way home."

He never used to take milk in tea or coffee and told a story of a pub/club ride-out. They arrived at the breakfast stop and he had cornflakes with a pint of mild in place of the milk.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 14:55   #114
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I once went in Barnes St. chippy with the late Mr. Walker after a pint in the Kings, I ordered fish and chips, John had fish, chips and peas with a steak pudding on top. When we went to the counter to pay John ordered fish and chips to take out. "Those for your dad?" I asked. "No" said John, "They're to eat on the way home."

He never used to take milk in tea or coffee and told a story of a pub/club ride-out. They arrived at the breakfast stop and he had cornflakes with a pint of mild in place of the milk.
Ah yes, Barnes St Chippy...that was Johnnys favourite ever Chippy, he used to read copies of the Sports Pink in there, to find out scores of cricket matches he had actually been too....mostly in the Bar of course!! Lol!

On the Chippy front...David Lloyd once told the story that he saw JW sat on a wall eating Fish, Chips n Peas with a Pudding on top. He asked JW why he was eating them there, because he only lived a few mins walk away, JW replied " If i take these in i wont get any supper"!!

Mind you David Lloyd has also used that story, about Jack Simmons too, in fact that very delicacy was actually called a "Simmo" in Clayton St Chippy in Gt Harwood for some years!

Would certainly have been an interesting contest of trenchermen between JW and JavaScript, but i know who i'd have backed on the drinking front!!

Best Regards - Taggy

PS your right about the milk...he didn't like it....nor butter either, couldn't stand it on his Muffins!!....He did like Pepper on Strawberries though!!!
Old 15-01-2010, 15:04   #115
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post

Ya that sounds like the Johnny we all knew and loved
Old 15-01-2010, 15:08   #116
Resting in Peace

Talking about Johnny, he was a great mate of the late Chris Metcalf, a former Lancs League Umpire, they used to do lots of travelling watching Lancashire play in the county championship, the tails Chris used to tell us after he returned from one of these trips was hilarious
Old 15-01-2010, 15:12   #117
Senior Member+

Quote:
Talking about Johnny, he was a great mate of the late Chris Metcalf, a former Lancs League Umpire, they used to do lots of travelling watching Lancashire play in the county championship, the tails Chris used to tell us after he returned from one of these trips was hilarious
Not much of the tales would involve cricket Jaysay!!! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 15-01-2010, 16:16   #118
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
the castle pub may be grubby now but when john and marie whittam were there it certainly was not they ran the castle for 17years and the brewery during that time scale would not have allowed them stay so long if they were not satified with the running of the pub
Jack Whitham was a top bloke. He used to let us go in The Castle when we were about 15. He would only serve us soft drinks and only allowed us in the tap-room. He said at least we weren't wandering the streets creating havoc and that way he could keep an eye on us.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 10:19   #119
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Not much of the tales would involve cricket Jaysay!!! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
I'll have you know Johnnie was a cricket conciser Taggy
Old 16-01-2010, 13:21   #120

mine was in the tinker in ossy when they lock the doors in them days lol but now the pubs are open all day now.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..