Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2010, 17:20   #121
Senior Member+

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'll have you know Johnnie was a cricket conciser Taggy
A Bar Room Barracker was our Johnny!!! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2010, 10:48   #122
Resting in Peace

Think it was Rule 1 Johnny's always right rule 2, if its ever proved that Johnny's wrong rule 1 applies
Old 17-01-2010, 10:59   #123
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think it was Rule 1 Johnny's always right rule 2, if its ever proved that Johnny's wrong rule 1 applies
LOL!!!....Spot on that Jaysay!!....You could certainly never accuse him of "sitting on the fence" could ya!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 17-01-2010, 11:04   #124
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
LOL!!!....Spot on that Jaysay!!....You could certainly never accuse him of "sitting on the fence" could ya!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Na he certainly wasn't a Rindi wa he
Old 17-01-2010, 11:06   #125
Senior Member+

Quote:

Best Regards - Taggy

Do you remember what he was like when anyone was smoking next to him. Seem to remember that he didn't approve of smoking. Well before the smoking ban this of course.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 11:14   #126
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Do you remember what he was like when anyone was smoking next to him. Seem to remember that he didn't approve of smoking. Well before the smoking ban this of course.

Yep he used to have one of those little battery operated fans Bernard for when he was playing Crib or Dominoes!!!...Was always falling out with Mary Aspinall in the Gt Eastern about it!!! Lol!......When we came back from Spain once, we were at Baggage carousel at Man airport, chap stood next to Johnny was having a fag, and Johnny reached across in front of him and started wafting this blokes smoke away, abour 6 inch from his nose...the air turned blue, and luckily for Johnny this chaps wife calmed him down and moved him away, otherwise i think Johnny might have been going round with the cases!!!....It could be a dangerous passtime being Johnny's mate sometimes!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 12-04-2010, 17:07   #127

What about the roughest, dirtiest, big mistake coming in here pubs!!!! Didn't there used to be one at the end of St.Christophers playing field back in the late 60's, a real rough estate pub!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 17:15   #128
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
What about the roughest, dirtiest, big mistake coming in here pubs!!!! Didn't there used to be one at the end of St.Christophers playing field back in the late 60's, a real rough estate pub!!
Ya got me beat wi that un mate?
Old 12-04-2010, 17:20   #129

I think you ment the Spinning Jenny.
mickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 18:26   #130
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Going downstairs into a pub called the "Globetrotter" in Aldershot, it's were all the crow Para's used to go, me & mate RCT "leg troops". Talk about into the Valley of Death. My, how we could run in those days of youth

valleyofdeath.jpg

You kind of get the idea !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valleyofdeath.jpg (47.3 KB, 15 views)
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 18:34   #131
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp View Post
Thats up Fern Gore. ST Chrissys Aint.
Old 12-04-2010, 22:48   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats up Fern Gore. ST Chrissys Aint.
Your right, it was the Jenny and it was Fern Gore! I was born on Wordsworth Avenue before the school was there, is it the Holy Family??? Any ideas what was there then if anything? 1953 that was.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 09:25   #133
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp View Post
Wrong end of Town mate, the Jenny is near Mt Carmel (Holy Family) St Christopher's is on Queens Road
Old 13-04-2010, 14:34   #134
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Going downstairs into a pub called the "Globetrotter" in Aldershot, it's were all the crow Para's used to go, me & mate RCT "leg troops". Talk about into the Valley of Death. My, how we could run in those days of youth

valleyofdeath.jpg

You kind of get the idea !!!
I've had a beer or two in The Pegasus in Aldershot a few moons ago, which was the Paras favourite pub, they used to have their own version of Pub Games, sticking there heads on the pool table whilst someone smacked a cue ball against it as hard as they could, and stapling beer mats to their heads, were two of the gentler ones i can put on a family forum!! ....not for the fainthearted i'll tell ya!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 13-04-2010, 14:44   #135
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I've had a beer or two in The Pegasus in Aldershot a few moons ago, which was the Paras favourite pub, they used to have their own version of Pub Games, sticking there heads on the pool table whilst someone smacked a cue ball against it as hard as they could, and stapling beer mats to their heads, were two of the gentler ones i can put on a family forum!! ....not for the fainthearted i'll tell ya!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Well obviously n high I.Q. is required, to be accepted in that "Elite" band.

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..