Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 13:00   #1

1st pint, 1st local.

My first pint was in the Commercial at the junction in Church, has it just been pulled down??? Christmas 1968 and I was 15. Taken in by the blokes I worked with from Pilkington Bros. and had 2 pints of mild. Off my head! 1st. local on a regular basis, funds permitting, starting in 1969, the Tanpits again down in Church. They would let anyone in!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2009, 13:27   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

my first was in the Australian down the pleck in accy, would reckon that was 62. beat ya by a year was 14.
Old 07-08-2009, 14:08   #3
God Member

Used to go into town with my friend on a Saturday morning to do any shopping and hang around the lads who were on the market stalls (particularly the shoe stall I seem to remember). Then used to meet her dad in the Regency for a half at lunchtime - reckon we were only about 14 when we started doing that.

First regular local was the Heys in Ossy.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 14:15   #4
Senior Member+

would have been the Black Bull.. Huncoat
then down to the youth club must have been 61/62

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 14:44   #5
God Member

At the tender age of 15, I had just started work in the offices of Mullard Simonstone.
I was working with older girls and they lured me into a night out which included a Babycham in -
The Old House At Home Melbourne St - now demolished for the dual carriageway.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 15:43   #6
God Member

1960 ... the Village Blacksmith on Bayley St. .... Dutton's house .... had a pint of mild, tho' I soon changed to bitter and shifted my alleigence to Thwaites ... I was a late starter; almost 15 at the time.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 16:18   #7
Resting in Peace

My first local were Bay Horse on Union Road, Heys Inn and of course Ossy and Accy Con, the landlord of the heys in those days was Alf and Margaret Whittle, the steward of Ossy Con was Fred Ingham
Old 07-08-2009, 16:55   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
My first pint was in the Commercial at the junction in Church, has it just been pulled down??? Christmas 1968 and I was 15. Taken in by the blokes I worked with from Pilkington Bros. and had 2 pints of mild. Off my head! 1st. local on a regular basis, funds permitting, starting in 1969, the Tanpits again down in Church. They would let anyone in!

That pub/hotel now if i'm correct is such a disgrace it looks like it's been terrorised
seenbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 17:24   #9
God Member

I think my first real local was the Junction, John Smith's, a real good pint .... but whenever the urge to have a pint came over me, I would usually pop into a Thwaites' house .... Forts Arms, Australian, Black Dog ...............
Old 07-08-2009, 17:43   #10

First pub was the Black Horse, Ossy then on to the Big D disco. After 2 halfs we were drunk and thought we were so cool.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 18:00   #11

i had my first drink on my 18th birthday, late starter, as i was not allowed to stay out late, very strict parents, and then into H.M. forces, against rules and regulations to drink under age.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 18:00   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I think my first real local was the Junction, John Smith's, a real good pint .... but whenever the urge to have a pint came over me, I would usually pop into a Thwaites' house .... Forts Arms, Australian, Black Dog ...............
i used to play darts fer junction Eric.
Old 07-08-2009, 18:59   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i used to play darts fer junction Eric.
Holy faeces ... really .... me too .... and had my own mug behind the bar ... used to hang out with Ray Barker (think he became a bookie .... always loved the horses that guy), and Sid Wright (he joined the Royal Marines) .... I can't remember the landlord's name; but he had a dishy daughter .... Anne, I think she was called .... I think they took over the New Brewery.
Old 07-08-2009, 19:03   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Holy faeces ... really .... me too .... and had my own mug behind the bar ... used to hang out with Ray Barker (think he became a bookie .... always loved the horses that guy), and Sid Wright (he joined the Royal Marines) .... I can't remember the landlord's name; but he had a dishy daughter .... Anne, I think she was called .... I think they took over the New Brewery.
would that be the lass that was goin wi "Ben Anderson" who was a rovers player? P.S. ya didn't play in that Pre- season darts friendly against the Big Crown did ya? was like Gunfight at OK Corral that night.
Old 07-08-2009, 19:08   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
would that be the lass that was goin wi "Ben Anderson" who was a rovers player? P.S. ya didn't play in that Pre- season darts friendly against the Big Crown did ya? was like Gunfight at OK Corral that night.
What year would that be .... I took off for university in '64 .... and in '67 I left for god's country ....

« Bands | The Vulcan »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..