Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2012, 14:39   #1

1st real holiday outside Lancashire.

Do you remember the 1st time you left Accy on more than a day trip. Mine was the school (Rhyddings) trip to St Margarets Bay Kent schools holiday camp around 1964 I think I was 11 at the time. An old army camp next to a turkey farm. Never been out of Accrington and never been away from Mum and Dad before! Thought I'd gone abroad!! A whole week of trips, watching the older boys fighting with other schools older boys and the older girls, well doing what older girls did!!! Was another 5 years or so before I went "abroad" again when I went down to London in an old Cortina with a couple of guys from Pilkingtons! Didn't actually go abroad for the 1st time until I went working on cruise ships in 1981.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2012, 10:00   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: 1st real holiday outside Lancashire.

Think my first real trip was the school trip to Holland and Germany stayed in Arnham, near the war graves site
Old 22-04-2012, 10:35   #3
Beacon of light

Never went on any school trips, couldn't afford them.
I suppose my first trip outside Lancashire would be when I was about 4 years old......my grandparents took me to a guest house in Scarborough.......the only bits I really remember were.......a ride on the donkeys, paddling on the beach with my frock tucked in my knickers........and once running into the road without looking(nearly getting knocked down) and my grandad really shouting at me for being so daft.( I remember that bit the most - I can still see his red angry face if I close my eyes).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 12:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Never went on any school trips, couldn't afford them.
I suppose my first trip outside Lancashire would be when I was about 4 years old......my grandparents took me to a guest house in Scarborough.......the only bits I really remember were.......a ride on the donkeys, paddling on the beach with my frock tucked in my knickers........and once running into the road without looking(nearly getting knocked down) and my grandad really shouting at me for being so daft.( I remember that bit the most - I can still see his red angry face if I close my eyes).
Me neither Margaret except for a day trip to Chester Zoo accompanied by the nuns from Paddock House ( There was a religious exhibition being held at the zoo!!) As usual I got into trouble because an elephant ate the belt of my school mack and the nuns banished me to the zoo entrance until the coach arrived.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 13:29   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think my first real trip was the school trip to Holland and Germany stayed in Arnham, near the war graves site
Arnhem Oosterbeek, aye know the area well. Did a couple of battlefield tours there & the Airborne museum was the house of Kate ter Horst. The BCWG cemetery is just over the road.
Old 22-04-2012, 14:26   #6
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Me neither Margaret except for a day trip to Chester Zoo accompanied by the nuns from Paddock House ( There was a religious exhibition being held at the zoo!!) As usual I got into trouble because an elephant ate the belt of my school mack and the nuns banished me to the zoo entrance until the coach arrived.
I went on a day trip to Chester with the school....my grandparents paid the 12 shillings it cost. While we were there we went on a river trip on the Dee....one of the boys(I think it was Roy Wallace) took my beret and used it like a frisbee....straight into the river it went.
It cost Ma and Pa 12 shillings for a new beret, and seven and sixpence for a school badge to go on the beret....so I didn't get to go on any other trips
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 14:45   #7

Quote:
Not the old "an elephant ate my belt buckle" excuse. Think of a new one!!!
Old 22-04-2012, 14:55   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Do you remember the 1st time you left Accy on more than a day trip. Mine was the school (Rhyddings) trip to St Margarets Bay Kent schools holiday camp around 1964 I think I was 11 at the time. An old army camp next to a turkey farm. Never been out of Accrington and never been away from Mum and Dad before! Thought I'd gone abroad!! A whole week of trips, watching the older boys fighting with other schools older boys and the older girls, well doing what older girls did!!! Was another 5 years or so before I went "abroad" again when I went down to London in an old Cortina with a couple of guys from Pilkingtons! Didn't actually go abroad for the 1st time until I went working on cruise ships in 1981.
Twas St Marys Bay gdm27, Twas the tech trip when i was there,Rhyddings must have adopted it when they amalgamated with us which i think was 62? Me owd mate actually has some pics of it on friends reunited.
Old 22-04-2012, 15:07   #9
Resting In Peace

I went to London for the Coronation in June 1953 when I was six. My mum was from Harrow, Middlesex and we went to stay with her family. I don't think we actually went into London itself, certainly not on the day of the procession etc but I do remember street parties with fancy dress and someone had a TV but I don't remember much about that.

Later we went on family holidays to the West Country but my private primary school didn't go in for school trips. I went abroad twice in my teens, once with my mum and sister to visit my auntie in Belgium - we flew from Manchester to Brussels!, and once to the south of France with the High School. We stayed in Arles in Provencs and travelled by train. Can't remember which of those trips came first though, both around 1962.

Also went on several camping trips with Cannon Street Baptist Girl Guides, to Wales, Edinburgh, Sussex and the New Forest. Still like camping today!
Old 22-04-2012, 17:48   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Arnhem Oosterbeek, aye know the area well. Did a couple of battlefield tours there & the Airborne museum was the house of Kate ter Horst. The BCWG cemetery is just over the road.
Gerry'swent round the museum too Dave, can you remember that bay with just a piece of wallpaper obviously taken from a house at the time, the inscription was "Never surrender **** the Gerry's" as a thirteen year old I thought that was very funny at the time, but very poignant later in life
Old 22-04-2012, 17:50   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I went on a day trip to Chester with the school....my grandparents paid the 12 shillings it cost. While we were there we went on a river trip on the Dee....one of the boys(I think it was Roy Wallace) took my beret and used it like a frisbee....straight into the river it went.
It cost Ma and Pa 12 shillings for a new beret, and seven and sixpence for a school badge to go on the beret....so I didn't get to go on any other trips
I went on a school trip to Chester too Margaret, we called at the Zoo first, then went on a boat trip down the Dee
Old 22-04-2012, 18:52   #12
I am Banned

First time I left Lancashire, also first holiday I ever had, was to Ostend, with a coach load of WW1 veterans from Accrington, in 1987. Visited all the battle fields, and cemetery's around Wipers, saw the last post ceremony at the Menin Gate, and to see my uncles grave, at Birr Cross Roads cemetery. Never had any incling to just go on a holiday to some resort, too boring, I prefer to be at home, either making something, or doing something usefull.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 22-04-2012 at 18:56.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 05:06   #13
Senior Member+

First holiday "away" was wi mum an dad to a holiday camp at Morcambe about 1950. First long trip was wi St. Pauls scouts to the Scilly Isles 1957.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 09:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Not the old "an elephant ate my belt buckle" excuse. Think of a new one!!!
Swear to God it 's true. The nuns then, using the 'fear technique', (by which they are so well known!) told me that as elephants never forget, I would likely be eaten by one of them(the elephants I mean!!) sometime in later life. This obviously influenced any further visits to zoos for quite a few years.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 13:45   #15

Quote:
Swear to God it 's true. The nuns then, using the 'fear technique', (by which they are so well known!) told me that as elephants never forget, I would likely be eaten by one of them(the elephants I mean!!) sometime in later life. This obviously influenced any further visits to zoos for quite a few years.
Not the old " getting eaten by an Elephant threat" those nuns, think of a new one!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..