Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Burnley Road (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/burnley-road-35626.html)

Atarah 26-12-2007 09:16

Burnley Road

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Cashman, this is "specially for you.
Hope it brings back memories.
Second photo not working, will try and fix.

Atarah

beechy 26-12-2007 09:56

Re: Burnley Road

do you know what the pub was called on the first photo
cant see it being boars head or the broadway
second photo i remember the showroom opposite it was a news agents
going up from town on the left

Atarah 26-12-2007 10:40

Burnley Road

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, it WAS known as The Peel Arms, but now we know it as THE BROADWAY

Here's a view looking down the stretch near where Cashman must have lived

Atarah

WillowTheWhisp 26-12-2007 10:46

I remember that shop being Dent's. :)

Amazing how the Peel's Arms doesn't seem to look anything like the Broadway in that first photo and the road seems narrower too. Must be because it's an old black and white pic.

cashman 26-12-2007 11:07

thanks Atarah,amazing pictures, i lived at no14 which on the last pic,was on left hand side, ann parkins shop plus 1 house is shown, that house was 12,so mine was next door,just off the photo, thanks once again.:)

cashman 26-12-2007 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 507732)
do you know what the pub was called on the first photo
cant see it being boars head or the broadway
second photo i remember the showroom opposite it was a news agents
going up from town on the left

the newsagent was bilsbourgh the couple were called, earned me 1st beer money taking papers for them.:D

WillowTheWhisp 26-12-2007 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 507751)
thanks Atarah,amazing pictures, i lived at no14 which on the last pic,was on left hand side, ann parkins shop plus 1 house is shown, that house was 12,so mine was next door,just off the photo, thanks once again.:)

Was your old house demolished when they created Eastgate?

cashman 26-12-2007 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 507754)
Was your old house demolished when they created Eastgate?

the houses on Burnley rd n Melbourne st, were demolished for the dual carridgeway i think.

WillowTheWhisp 26-12-2007 16:27

Yes, I know they chopped the end off the terraces, just wondering if that included your old house.

cashman 26-12-2007 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 507875)
Yes, I know they chopped the end off the terraces, just wondering if that included your old house.

yes it did........

cashman 30-04-2008 22:42

just remembered the house had n big open yard, shared by the houses above Ann Parkins shop n the first block on melbourne st, remember a guy called Jerry Morgan n his missus lived in end one on melbourne, he used to play ball with me in the yard n also took me to whalley/ cock bridge occasionally on sundays. would be about 4-6 at that time.:)

Bob Dobson 18-04-2020 14:55

When did the Peel's Arms pub become the Broadway ? I guessed at c1937, when Broadway was opened, but it is still the Peel's Arms, 20 Whalley Rd, in my 1939 Barrett's directory. Anybody got a 1942 one or later ? No good me asking the library

Exile on Spencer St 27-04-2020 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 507752)
the newsagent was bilsbourgh the couple were called, earned me 1st beer money taking papers for them.:D

If that’s the newsagents at the bottom of Burnley Road, on the corner of Moore St (I think), on left-hand side going up, I also earned my first pocket money (too young for beer) delivering papers.
I recall my round was up Water St, and environs, and the bag was rammed to bursting every day. The bags were slightly waxed and you had to put the strap over you’re head, then pull the full bag towards you, off the shop counter. The first time, not knowing how heavy it was, the bag nearly decapitated me as it hit the shop floor!
I think I’d be a couple of inches taller now if I hadn’t had that job.

Bob Dobson 28-04-2020 09:27

I've forgotten the name of the people who were in the newsagent's before Billsboroughs. I have two vivid memories of that shop - Buying the first edition of The Eagle comic and going into the shop one teatime with my dad who had just got paid at Whittakers foundry. He had received some back-pay and showed me a white fiver.

I am still pursuing when the Peel's Arms became the Broadway

cashman 21-05-2020 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1239634)
I've forgotten the name of the people who were in the newsagent's before Billsboroughs. I have two vivid memories of that shop - Buying the first edition of The Eagle comic and going into the shop one teatime with my dad who had just got paid at Whittakers foundry. He had received some back-pay and showed me a white fiver.

I am still pursuing when the Peel's Arms became the Broadway

he musta known my dad bob he worked at the foundry until ill health from after the war until mid 70s