Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Huncoat Cable Cars ! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/huncoat-cable-cars-36289.html)

MovedtoBolton 18-01-2008 19:16

Huncoat Cable Cars !

I drive sections of Burnley Road fairly regularly and today I got a flashback... I think.
I remember seeing a cable "car" system - hoppers taking materials from quarries in the Coppice area down to the brickworks. Somewhere near Bolton Ave I think.
Did I really see them or have I dreamt it? I say this because the more I think about it the more I can't recall when this was!

Ian

entwisi 18-01-2008 19:45

Re: Huncoat Cable Cars !

It seems to ring bells with me to.

There is one on teh way into Kirby Lonsdale that is still working.

K.S.H 18-01-2008 20:11

You must have been dreaming MovedtoBolton, cable cars going over Burnley Rd, never heard owt as daft :rolleyes: :D

mickmc 18-01-2008 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton (Post 518897)
I drive sections of Burnley Road fairly regularly and today I got a flashback... I think.
I remember seeing a cable "car" system - hoppers taking materials from quarries in the Coppice area down to the brickworks. Somewhere near Bolton Ave I think.
Did I really see them or have I dreamt it? I say this because the more I think about it the more I can't recall when this was!

Ian

It was there all right -I remember em well as a small lad in the 60's - used to take stone etc from the quarry at the side of the coppice to the Nori brick works

Cant remember when it stopped and was dismantled, must have been mid to late 60's

MovedtoBolton 18-01-2008 20:38

Thanks Guys - It's reassuring to know the old grey matter still works, even if it is only in flashback mode :)
I spent a lot of time around Carlisle Rd and Heaning Ave in 70 and71 and I'm sure the cables had gone by then. Ironically I lived near the cemetery for several years in the 90's and had no recollections of this bit of Accy history at all!!!

MargaretR 18-01-2008 20:47

1 Attachment(s)
Atarah post this pic in 2004 in a thread titled
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rick-4064.html

K.S.H 18-01-2008 20:48

Err isn't that the same Pic and thread I linked too :rolleyes:

MargaretR 18-01-2008 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.S.H (Post 518965)
Err isn't that the same Pic and thread I linked too :rolleyes:

So it is :o sorry about that

MovedtoBolton 18-01-2008 20:50

Think you were just to subtle KSH :rolleyes:

burt 18-01-2008 20:53

i remember cable cars from quarry to redack brick works in huncoat and there is a tunnell under burnley rd roughly accrington side of hillock vale and i have been through it wen i was a lad. in 1957.

cashman 18-01-2008 21:42

it crossed Burnley Rd, where that housing estate was built just up from the Whittakers, or the Cemetry pub in days gone by.:)

Wynonie Harris 18-01-2008 22:18

The cable car didn't come all the way from the quarry, though. At the quarry site itself, there was a little railway which went across a small bridge over the path that led down to Kingsway. Small trucks transported the clay down the hill to a point near Burnley road and it was then transferred to the cable cars.

beechy 19-01-2008 08:12

the cable cars did indeed go down to the
redac brickworks not the nori
it also had a great big wired safety net running across burnley road
so as to catch any falling shale

rosegrove 19-01-2008 14:49

thanks ksh.for photo of cable car crossing burnley rd a pal of mine about 1964 one sunday set the tubs going done a lot damage lucky i was scared and di d not go i think he just got a fine he was a within grove lad some of you older members may know him he would be 57 now

WillowTheWhisp 19-01-2008 16:08

I remember them. I also remember mud on the road underneath that thingy to catch stuff. It would catch stone lumps but sometimes when the tubs came back, upside down, there would be small stuff or slutchy stuff falling out of them.