Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/accy-pop-groups-1960s-42082.html)

dublomad 10-06-2010 23:27

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

[quote=keith;821670]Seem to remember seeing kyte the group on three occasions twice in rishton first the now closed down legion club and then on another occasion the free gardeners on parker street also someones birthday bash at the baxenden golf club quite a few years ago though[/quote Sounds about right Keith, it woulkd be in the early days at Rishton free gardeners, around '86/'87, if memory serves me right, the Bash golf club do was probably around ;90/;91. We also did a Saturday afternoon gig on tha Oxo Carnival float!!!!]

jaysay 11-06-2010 09:29

Hows this got from 60s groups to 80s and 90s groups:mad:

cashman 11-06-2010 09:32

Another local 60s group was the "Cyclones" did a tour of europe somewhere, still see the bass guitarist pretty regular. M.S. :)

cashman 11-06-2010 10:27

me memories vague about the Cyclones, perhaps Alan Gilmartin can add to this,as i know he knew some of em, or maybe Tony our new lad remembers or the soundcasters played wi em?:)

dublomad 12-06-2010 00:10

I do remember the name Cyclones cashy, but I think they were phasing out when we were getting started, around '64. If I can dig out all my photos and stuff, there might be some more groups we used to play with.
No-one's mentioned Gideons Ways, who I think were post Scorchers. Apart from the Dansaks and Soundcasters, they were probably the other major band of the time.

dublomad 12-06-2010 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 821732)
Hows this got from 60s groups to 80s and 90s groups:mad:

Sorry Jaysay, the Soundcasters progressd into Kyte, just answering a querie. Unfortunately even the 80's and 90's seem a long time ago now!!

jaysay 12-06-2010 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublomad (Post 821892)
Sorry Jaysay, the Soundcasters progressd into Kyte, just answering a querie. Unfortunately even the 80's and 90's seem a long time ago now!!

Your okay, but why not start a new thread and blather to your hearts content:D

cashman 12-06-2010 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublomad (Post 821890)
I do remember the name Cyclones cashy, but I think they were phasing out when we were getting started, around '64. If I can dig out all my photos and stuff, there might be some more groups we used to play with.
No-one's mentioned Gideons Ways, who I think were post Scorchers. Apart from the Dansaks and Soundcasters, they were probably the other major band of the time.

would be 66, by all accounts when they disbanded, was just after they returned from france, or so the boss tells me.:D

Alan Gilmartin 13-06-2010 08:29

Ask Mick when you see him Cashy, ask him who were the guys in the group,and if he has any photos, still got to write to him yet. Dublomad your right the scorchers were one of the major groups at that time, they play at the Cavern once, Dave Robinson, trevor Gardener, Jim Payne, dave Ayrton was the manager, roadie,

jaysay 13-06-2010 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 822083)
Ask Mick when you see him Cashy, ask him who were the guys in the group,and if he has any photos, still got to write to him yet. Dublomad your right the scorchers were one of the major groups at that time, they play at the Cavern once, Dave Robinson, trevor Gardener, Jim Payne, dave Ayrton was the manager, roadie,

Was Trevor Gardener the Drummer Alan?

Wynonie Harris 13-06-2010 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 822093)
Was Trevor Gardener the Drummer Alan?

Jim Payne was the drummer, Jaysay. He went on to play in a whole series of pro bands, including the legendary Accy supergroup, Accrington Stanley. Been talked about on here a few times.

jaysay 13-06-2010 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 822094)
Jim Payne was the drummer, Jaysay. He went on to play in a whole series of pro bands, including the legendary Accy supergroup, Accrington Stanley. Been talked about on here a few times.

Thanks Wny, just remember the chap I was thinking about was called Trevor Cunliffe he's my age knocked bout with him in the sixties and he's still drumming today, used to practice in Ossy Con with a group called Tatters

Taggy 13-06-2010 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 822103)
Thanks Wny, just remember the chap I was thinking about was called Trevor Cunliffe he's my age knocked bout with him in the sixties and he's still drumming today, used to practice in Ossy Con with a group called Tatters

Jaysay...was the Trevor Cunliffe you mention a really big bloke??...If so i'm afraid he died some years back, he went to Germany to live and Play, and passed away over there....i never saw him, but my ex-wife was related to him, and said he was a brilliant drummer!

Best Regards - Taggy

cashman 13-06-2010 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 822083)

right Al, just bumped into Mick in town original Cyclones were= Ian Spencer- Lead guitar, Mick Stirzaker- Bass, Paul Curtis- Vocals, Stephen Farnsworth - Drums, have sent ya a P.M. wi somemore stuff.;)

jaysay 14-06-2010 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 822108)
Jaysay...was the Trevor Cunliffe you mention a really big bloke??...If so i'm afraid he died some years back, he went to Germany to live and Play, and passed away over there....i never saw him, but my ex-wife was related to him, and said he was a brilliant drummer!

Best Regards - Taggy

Na he's still going strong Taggy, he used to have the car sales place opposite the side entrance of the old cop shop on Spring Gardens, in the sixties he was a dead ringer for Bobby Vee