Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/accy-pop-groups-1960s-42082.html)

Taggy 14-06-2010 10:51

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 822329)
Na he's still going strong Taggy, he used to have the car sales place opposite the side entrance of the old cop shop on Spring Gardens, in the sixties he was a dead ringer for Bobby Vee

Must be a different Trevor Cunliffe then Jaysay....thankfully! Coincidence 2 drummers wi same name from Accy!

Best Regards - Taggy

Alan Gilmartin 17-06-2010 07:06

Trevor Cunliffe (think his wifes name is Val ) is a friend of my brothers Peter & Kevin, also jaysay, Trevor Gardener was the lead guitarist in the Scorchers, If Jim Payne reads this thread, can you tell us Jim a little of how the Scorchers got to play at the Cavern, Im sure a lot of us on here will be very interested. I was there on that day. Plus there must be a photo somewhere.

cashman 21-06-2010 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 822083)
Ask Mick when you see him Cashy, ask him who were the guys in the group,and if he has any photos, still got to write to him yet. Dublomad your right the scorchers were one of the major groups at that time, they play at the Cavern once, Dave Robinson, trevor Gardener, Jim Payne, dave Ayrton was the manager, roadie,

the cds are on there way al, from the 16 yrs old cyclones.:D

Atarah 21-06-2010 17:33

1 Attachment(s)
Gideons Way photo

jaysay 22-06-2010 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 823635)
Gideons Way photo

Do you have any names for the picture Atarah?

Alan Gilmartin 23-06-2010 07:42

Know Jim, Dave & Trevor, but what was the name of the tall skinny rythm guitarist, the singer had a sister I tookout a couple of times.

Leylandii 23-06-2010 12:52

Rythym guitar. Methinks he was called Ian Smith. Not sure about a sister, though.

Alan Gilmartin 24-06-2010 01:09

Yea thats it, Ian Smith, But I ment the singers name and sister, hes the one with the maracas, think he went to St Christiphers. Pity Trevor Gardener or Dave Robinson dont contribute, I believe they still live in the area, I know Dave Ayrton the manager & roadie at the time Lives in Grindleton. Maybe somebody knows them.

LENNIE 14-07-2010 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 685549)
good heads up that beejay,cheers, although don't think they were local can remember seeing "nero @ gladiators" god knows where?.:)

lennie herbert booked them at mercer hall gt harwood for only £75-00 approx 1960. They were top of the hit parade with the hall of the mountain king the same week.

LENNIE 14-07-2010 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan gilmartin (Post 644169)
any line up names, for nosmo kings, now theres one group ive never heard of.

this name only lasted a short while as it could not be registered due to the comedian nosmo king.... It followed on from lennie and the teenbeats and changed to mark day and the knights.
Several chanes over a number of years to the line ups but included; david tomlinson, tony thornton, lennie herbert, vinny shaw, pete hibbert noel smith, jimmy forshaw etc etc..

cashman 14-07-2010 10:48

theres a name from the past. is Jimmy Forshaw still batting? last i heard was mid 90s.

LENNIE 14-07-2010 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by lennie (Post 828864)
this name only lasted a short while as it could not be registered due to the comedian nosmo king.... It followed on from lennie and the teenbeats and changed to mark day and the knights.
Several chanes over a number of years to the line ups but included; david tomlinson, tony thornton, lennie herbert, vinny shaw, pete hibbert noel smith, jimmy forshaw etc etc..

lennie herbert is in oswaldtwistle, tony thornton in carlisle, vinny shaw in new zealand, peter hibbert in accrington regretfully noel passed away about a year ago and pete is very ill. This all started at knowlememre st in the 50s with lennies arcadian combo playing skiifle with washboard (jimmy aspen clayton le moors) jim graham (now in france) on teachest bass lennie on drums dave and tony guitars pete as singer. Made first recordings at romers studio in rishton.

LENNIE 14-07-2010 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 828866)
theres a name from the past. Is jimmy forshaw still batting? Last i heard was mid 90s.

not seen jimmy for a while was living at rising bridge hes an electrician with his own business!!

jaysay 14-07-2010 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by LENNIE (Post 828864)

Remember Mark Day and the Nights, could Lennie of Lennie and the Teen Beats be your good self LENNIE:D

ShadowTrev 24-07-2010 22:10

Hello to you all, just stumbled across this website by accident, glad I did.Scorchers won a schools group competition in Penwortham,this was judged by The Cavern's owner & Bob Wooller- Beatles 1st manager, -the prize to play at The Cavern.I left The Scorchers who were then called Gideon's Way to play with Wami,Tony Anderson was the vocalist.Dave Robinson lives in Stratford, talk to him occasionally,Ian Smith lives in Bolton-by-Bowland not in contact. Derek Rimmington who was vocalist in Gideon's(holding Maraccas"s in photo)sadly Derek died quite a few years ago,Jim Payne not in contact with. I still play with a 60's type band occasionally, Pete Hibbert was the vocalist,but unfortunately he's had to retire with bad health, very sad really his voice still sounded so good,very powerfull,he's been to watch us play though. Hope I've helped to answer some of your question's. All the Best Trev Gardner.