Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/accy-pop-groups-1960s-42082.html)

dublomad 31-07-2010 00:51

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTrev (Post 831292)
Hello to you all, just stumbled across this website by accident, glad I did.Scorchers won a schools group competition in Penwortham,this was judged by The Cavern's owner & Bob Wooller- Beatles 1st manager, -the prize to play at The Cavern.I left The Scorchers who were then called Gideon's Way to play with Wami,Tony Anderson was the vocalist.Dave Robinson lives in Stratford, talk to him occasionally,Ian Smith lives in Bolton-by-Bowland not in contact. Derek Rimmington who was vocalist in Gideon's(holding Maraccas"s in photo)sadly Derek died quite a few years ago,Jim Payne not in contact with. I still play with a 60's type band occasionally, Pete Hibbert was the vocalist,but unfortunately he's had to retire with bad health, very sad really his voice still sounded so good,very powerfull,he's been to watch us play though. Hope I've helped to answer some of your question's. All the Best Trev Gardner.

Hi Trevor. Used to play with Gideons quite a lot with the Soundcasters in '65ish, so must know all of you, unfortunately we started out later than most of you, but carried on till 69 so I can't remember the Cyclones but I oi remember the Scorchers. Used to watch the Warriors practicing at Christ Church School when I was a kid 'cause Jon and Tony Anderson's sister used to babysit for me and our kid, that was it really, had to give it a try. Last time I saw Pete Hibbert he was with his partner Margaret in the Alma and although we got to know each other quite well in the 80's and 90's, he didn;t even know me, terrible shame he was a good singer and a top bloke. Saw Wami last year in Benidorm, nice to see that most of us are still around and still enjoying music. Have some newspaper clips of Gideons and Soundcasters from Acci Con etc., good days. Just got back together with some mates and my brother after 15 years and for the first time in 41 years going under the name of the Soundcasters. Theres only me left from the original line up, the others packed it in in 69, but we're all still around and all living local. If anyone's interested we are Baxenden Con on the 14th August. Tommy Franks is usually around, so there's always some reminiscing to do!! All the best Tony Cooper

jaysay 31-07-2010 09:23

Some great picks Trev

Atarah 31-07-2010 10:20

Top site this! I just LOVE the old photos. These new ones showing the Scorchers when they played the Cavern ARE JUST GEMS! I once had the priviledge of going to the Cavern too. One Sunday afternoon - with, funnily enough Trevor Cunliffe, but he was the drummer, the one who lived on South Street in Accrington. I went with my cuz Les Brown. When I remember the name of the group, I will post it.

cashman 31-07-2010 10:42

great photos, bash cons on me calendar.;)

jaysay 31-07-2010 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 832740)
Top site this! I just LOVE the old photos. These new ones showing the Scorchers when they played the Cavern ARE JUST GEMS! I once had the priviledge of going to the Cavern too. One Sunday afternoon - with, funnily enough Trevor Cunliffe, but he was the drummer, the one who lived on South Street in Accrington. I went with my cuz Les Brown. When I remember the name of the group, I will post it.

The Trevor Cunliffe I was on about Atarah is a Drummer

ShadowTrev 31-07-2010 11:51

Hiya to all of you, so glad you all enjoyed seeing "old Scorchers photo's," I was suprised the old Telegraph clipping came out o.k.hope you can read the write-up too? I'd put new strings on my" old Burn's guitar"the night before we played the Cavern,big mistake! it just would not stay in tune the whole performance,that experience stuck with me, very careful as to when I restring now! Played Cavern a couple of times after with" Wami",last time we supported "Badfinger" who were still called"The Ivey's", Apple were just about to launch them,about 5or6 months later I saw them at A.B.C.Blackpool and they'd had their 1st hit,if I remember rightly The Marmalade&Joe Cocker on as-well. Trev.

ShadowTrev 31-07-2010 12:16

Hiya Tony, yes remember Soundcasters,when I was searching for old Scorchers photo's found advert for Majestic Ballroom[Accy Con]The fabulous Ugly Ray Terrett[Radio Caroline D.J.]The exciting"Gideons Ways" &Accrington's own" Soundcasters". Have to see if I can make it to Bash Con, Tommy's sang with us sometimes. All the Best Trev.

dublomad 31-07-2010 20:18

Hi Trev. I have the same clip from the Observer. Loads of others too, along with lots of photos. Think I'll get my son to put them on for me, save me losing my patience. We never got to the Cavern, but were never away from Nelson Imp in 68 and 69, also did the twisted wheel in Manchester a couple of times with the Brian Auger Trinity. I'll see if I can dig those photos and clippings out. Cheers, Tony.

Taggy 31-07-2010 20:22

Hi dublomad...whats your group called now?...Is it mainly 50's/60's etc Rock stuff that you play now....if i've not got my lad with me that weekend i'll def try to get upto Bash Con!

Best Regards - Taggy

dublomad 31-07-2010 20:59

Hi Taggy. We've just started going under the Soundcasters name again - nostalgia I think! 99% of our songs are from the sixties, witha few seventies thrown in for good measure, quite a lot were songs we did in the souncasters in the sixties. be nice to see you there, if you can make it. Off to the pub now. All the best, Tony

ShadowTrev 31-07-2010 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublomad (Post 832900)
Hi Trev. I have the same clip from the Observer. Loads of others too, along with lots of photos. Think I'll get my son to put them on for me, save me losing my patience. We never got to the Cavern, but were never away from Nelson Imp in 68 and 69, also did the twisted wheel in Manchester a couple of times with the Brian Auger Trinity. I'll see if I can dig those photos and clippings out. Cheers, Tony.

Hiya Tony, If I'm honest it was my son Dale[he's a guitarist too]that helped me to put those old photo's on this site! Trev.

cashman 31-07-2010 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 832901)
Hi dublomad...whats your group called now?...Is it mainly 50's/60's etc Rock stuff that you play now....if i've not got my lad with me that weekend i'll def try to get upto Bash Con!

Best Regards - Taggy

Hope to see ya up yon mate.

Taggy 31-07-2010 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublomad (Post 832915)
Hi Taggy. We've just started going under the Soundcasters name again - nostalgia I think! 99% of our songs are from the sixties, witha few seventies thrown in for good measure, quite a lot were songs we did in the souncasters in the sixties. be nice to see you there, if you can make it. Off to the pub now. All the best, Tony

Will Certainly try my best Tony..as i say if my lad isnt staying at mine that weekend i'll certainly be up! I'm a Pal of Wammys too...in fact i'm off to Benidorm again in Sept and will see him then!

Best Regards - Taggy

Taggy 31-07-2010 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 832921)
Hope to see ya up yon mate.

Aye fingers crossed Cashy..i'm pretty sure i should be ok for that..its a definate if my lads not at mine! Be good to see you there too!

Best Regards - Taggy

Alan Gilmartin 01-08-2010 01:11

Here you are jaysay, Just got an email from my brother, He's alive & well,still playing drums,