Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/accy-pop-groups-1960s-42082.html)

ShadowTrev 11-08-2010 18:52

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 836301)
I remember that Gig Trev, was there all afternoon with my mate Letfy

Hiya J, Hope we played ok, I remember playing but not what it sounded like,was there a prosession on Union Rd.?

esteemedjuju 11-08-2010 19:07

did hear the scorchers were called red hot ray and the scorchers

james 11-08-2010 20:05

Hi Trev, The only thing that I remember about that gig is that my drums sounded awful.I don't think I'd ever played outside in a park before, but it was fun! (still no cymbals).

ShadowTrev 11-08-2010 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteemedjuju (Post 836324)
did hear the scorchers were called red hot ray and the scorchers

Hiya Estee, Yeh! You're right, hoping no- one would remember that one, I suppose it sounded ok at the time.Trev.:confused:

james 12-08-2010 09:05

1 Attachment(s)
Shame that this photo of the Francis T Construction is so blurred, but here goes, left to right : Kevin Florentine, Stewart Howlett, Susan? Bob Taylor, Tom Robinson, unknown, Lynne Whittaker, Jim Payne, unknown, unknown.Taken after a gig at The Greyhound.

jaysay 12-08-2010 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 836514)
Shame that this photo of the Francis T Construction is so blurred, but here goes, left to right : Kevin Florentine, Stewart Howlett, Susan? Bob Taylor, Tom Robinson, unknown, Lynne Whittaker, Jim Payne, unknown, unknown.Taken after a gig at The Greyhound.

Hi James, was Tony Jenkinson (Jinx) on the pic, he knocked about with Tom Robinson around that time

jaysay 12-08-2010 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTrev (Post 836318)
Hiya J, Hope we played ok, I remember playing but not what it sounded like,was there a prosession on Union Rd.?

Think it could have been the inaugural Ossy Carnival, which was resurrected a few years ago, but as been mothballed again, I was the Carnival Committee Secretary and the Chairman was Fred Hindle painter and decorator

james 12-08-2010 11:01

Hi Jaysay,Thanks for that, I've wondered for years who he was.He used to hang around with us a lot, always seemed to wear a black shirt.Another guy who used to be a regular with us was called Derek Salmon, a complete nutter who used to ride a motor bike around Accy at incredible speeds.He lived in Slaidburn Drive.

dublomad 12-08-2010 16:11

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTrev (Post 836318)

Hi Trev. Haven't contributed much in the last week or so, been busy trying to learn some new songs for Saturday - ha!!!. Since your mate Jim came on line, things seem to be 'hotting up' on the site. Great seeing the Scorchers photos and Wynder K Frog, where did time go? However I've (hopefully) enclosed two of Garth Dawsons finest of the Soundcasters. The 'posed' one is back stage at the Sports Hall Ossie', on 14th November 1965, when we won the first round of a 'Groups Contest', second were the Dansaks, third So On and So Forth and fourth were the Intermediates. Left to right are Glen Ainsworth lead guitar, then me, Dave Hull with the sticks, Gary Hull rhythym guitar and Maurice Blezard bass guitar. The second picture, I'm not really sure about. It could be St Augustines or Huncoat Methodist, anybody recognize it?? We were all 14 and 15 then and I remember it like it was yesterday, Can't remember what I did yesterday though!
Hope you like them. Tony Cooper

ShadowTrev 12-08-2010 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublomad (Post 836649)
Hi Trev. Haven't contributed much in the last week or so, been busy trying to learn some new songs for Saturday - ha!!!. Since your mate Jim came on line, things seem to be 'hotting up' on the site. Great seeing the Scorchers photos and Wynder K Frog, where did time go? However I've (hopefully) enclosed two of Garth Dawsons finest of the Soundcasters. The 'posed' one is back stage at the Sports Hall Ossie', on 14th November 1965, when we won the first round of a 'Groups Contest', second were the Dansaks, third So On and So Forth and fourth were the Intermediates. Left to right are Glen Ainsworth lead guitar, then me, Dave Hull with the sticks, Gary Hull rhythym guitar and Maurice Blezard bass guitar. The second picture, I'm not really sure about. It could be St Augustines or Huncoat Methodist, anybody recognize it?? We were all 14 and 15 then and I remember it like it was yesterday, Can't remember what I did yesterday though!
Hope you like them. Tony Cooper

Hiya T,"Blummin eck" you do look young!! great photo's,I've been asking Jim to try and fill in some memory -blanks I have about Scorchers history. Good luck for Saturday ,I'm sure it will be fine. Trev

jaysay 12-08-2010 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 836560)
Hi Jaysay,Thanks for that, I've wondered for years who he was.He used to hang around with us a lot, always seemed to wear a black shirt.Another guy who used to be a regular with us was called Derek Salmon, a complete nutter who used to ride a motor bike around Accy at incredible speeds.He lived in Slaidburn Drive.

That name rings a bell James, did have jet black hair and long side burns?

ShadowTrev 12-08-2010 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 836527)
Think it could have been the inaugural Ossy Carnival, which was resurrected a few years ago, but as been mothballed again, I was the Carnival Committee Secretary and the Chairman was Fred Hindle painter and decorator

Hiya J, Thanks for reply, I think some of the boys joined in the parade in Ayrty's[scorchers manager] dads car 50's Austin A55 decorated-up,I missed-out on that,:mad: had to stop at the park. Trev.

james 12-08-2010 21:38

You have a very good memory jasay,that's the guy,I remember him going down Willows Lane on an Ariel Square Four when I was on my way to school, at what seemed to be about 70 mph, no traffic back then.He was a bit older than me, maybe 3/4 years.Thanks,James.

james 13-08-2010 08:33

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Trev, Do you remember this gig at the Majestic ballroom in 1965.My mum found this old ad from the Accy Observer.I always loved playing there, I always got a great drum sound in that place, must be the design of those old ballrooms,the Astoria in Rawtenstall was the same.I also remember playing there with The Nasville Teens, The Pretty Things, and a strange American band called The Sir Douglas Quintet, they had one hit single called, "She's About a Mover".James.

jaysay 13-08-2010 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTrev (Post 836734)
Hiya J, Thanks for reply, I think some of the boys joined in the parade in Ayrty's[scorchers manager] dads car 50's Austin A55 decorated-up,I missed-out on that,:mad: had to stop at the park. Trev.

I remember the Carnival Queen was at the front of the parade sat on the back of an open top car, twas the car which was actually used in the James Bond movie Goldfinger, the car Bond ran of the road by using his tyre shredders