Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/accy-pop-groups-1960s-42082.html)

ShadowTrev 13-08-2010 11:22

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 836829)
I remember the Carnival Queen was at the front of the parade sat on the back of an open top car, twas the car which was actually used in the James Bond movie Goldfinger, the car Bond ran of the road by using his tyre shredders

Hiya J, Jim's right you do have a good memory! I missed all that open car thing. Trev.

ShadowTrev 13-08-2010 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 836825)
Hello Trev, Do you remember this gig at the Majestic ballroom in 1965.My mum found this old ad from the Accy Observer.I always loved playing there, I always got a great drum sound in that place, must be the design of those old ballrooms,the Astoria in Rawtenstall was the same.I also remember playing there with The Nasville Teens, The Pretty Things, and a strange American band called The Sir Douglas Quintet, they had one hit single called, "She's About a Mover".James.

Hiya Jim, it was a good guitar sound there too,another good one was" The Grand"in Padiham,old traditional theatre, plaster cherubs decorating corners of the balcony& a big old stage,it had become one of Fred Skinners bingo halls[he had quite a few of them] we played in-between the bingo sessions,we also did a recording there on-to tape & then sent it off to a firm in Carnforth and it came back as a 45 record,I still have a copy probably in the loft hidden away so nobody can hear it!! Trev.

dublomad 13-08-2010 17:17

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 836825)
Hello Trev, Do you remember this gig at the Majestic ballroom in 1965.My mum found this old ad from the Accy Observer.I always loved playing there, I always got a great drum sound in that place, must be the design of those old ballrooms,the Astoria in Rawtenstall was the same.I also remember playing there with The Nasville Teens, The Pretty Things, and a strange American band called The Sir Douglas Quintet, they had one hit single called, "She's About a Mover".James.

Hi James. A couple of weeks ago Trev mantioned finding an old Observer ad. for the Con, where it showed one of the numerous times that Scorchers/Gideons were on the same night as the Soundcasters, which I have enclosed, along with another where we played New Years with the Mindbenders. I agree with you in that the Con was a really good place to play, certainly one of my favourites. According to my 'book', we played there 19 times. The first was October 25th 1965 and the last was, as far as I can tell, 18th February 1967. Did Scorchers/Gideons never play Nelson Imp? When did Gideons pack in? Cheers Tony

jaysay 13-08-2010 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowTrev (Post 836885)
Hiya J, Jim's right you do have a good memory! I missed all that open car thing. Trev.

Quite easy to remember when you helped orgaised the event Trev:D

jaysay 13-08-2010 17:51

Looking at some of these photo's from the old days, reminded me of the good old Vox AC30 amps, what a great machine in their day, was watching some group on Sky Arts the other week, recorded quite recently and they had a bank of what looked like AC30s. And I bet you can all remember the good old Watkins Copy Cat echo chamber, which were great until the bloody tape broke:D

ShadowTrev 13-08-2010 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 836965)
Looking at some of these photo's from the old days, reminded me of the good old Vox AC30 amps, what a great machine in their day, was watching some group on Sky Arts the other week, recorded quite recently and they had a bank of what looked like AC30s. And I bet you can all remember the good old Watkins Copy Cat echo chamber, which were great until the bloody tape broke:D

Hiya J, yep!AC30 takes some beating even these days, just proves it with the number of bands still choosing to use them over more modern counterparts,you can't beat the"good old valves." Still got my old Copicat but it needs sorting-out,it needs new heads I think,can get them on Ebay but not cheap! Trev

james 13-08-2010 19:46

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Dublomad,I can't remember if The Scorchers or The Gids ever played at Nelson Imp and neither Trevor nor myself can remember when we split up.I do know that in 1968/69 I was playing in a few bands from Burnley like The Atlantics, Kudos, The Reflections etc trying to make some extra money.I played at Nelson Imp many times with some of those bands, which in some cases only lasted a few months.There were loads of us, So on and So Forth, Ways N' Means, The Uptown Go Go Band, The Raging Storms, supporting The Troggs, Manfred Man, Love Affair, Robert Plant's Band of Joy (the first time I saw John Bonham), and a few more.I've attached a photo of The Atlantics.The guy 2 nd from the left (Pete Sowrey) actually played with Accrington Stanley for a very short time.We also played at Manchester University a lot, it was great money, getting £30 for supporting Chicken Shack wasn't bad in 1969, we also supported The Who there a few weeks later for the same money.As you can see from the ad, you could see Pink Floyd or The Who and many more for 7/6d! Hope that helps,James.

ShadowTrev 13-08-2010 20:00

I think we were support band for The Yardbirds at Nelson Imp,it seems to ring a bell it's a long time ago "init" !! Trev.

ShadowTrev 13-08-2010 20:05

Jim, talking of The Atlantics I wonder what happened to the bass player Andy?

james 13-08-2010 20:43

Hi Trev,I don't know what happened to Andy Russell.John, the guitarist (on the left) got married to a girl he met when we were playing the Excel Bowl in Leeds, Colin Edmondson, the singer in the middle died when he was around 50, and, as you know, Pete played with Accy Stan for a short time (5/7 weeks?).

Alan Gilmartin 14-08-2010 00:44

Love reading these posts, does anyone have any photos of the Dappers or Sundowners, Dappers played Accy Cavern a few times, my cousin Billy ( Bean ) Drinkwater, was the singer.

cashman 14-08-2010 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 837051)
Love reading these posts, does anyone have any photos of the Dappers or Sundowners, Dappers played Accy Cavern a few times, my cousin Billy ( Bean ) Drinkwater, was the singer.

Atarah posted photo a few years ago somewhere al, have a sneck round.;)

jaysay 14-08-2010 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 837051)

Is Billy your cousin Alan:D what a character billy was in those days, I first met him when he worked for Lancashire Barfitters, before I worked there, Him and Sam Scott put the new bar in Oswaldtwistle Con in 1964, remember seeing him sing at the Stanley Social Club (Jazz Club) one Friday night, funnily he was quite good:D

Atarah 14-08-2010 09:54

Is it tonight the "gig" at Bash Con. Do you have to be a Member to get in there?

cashman 14-08-2010 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 837096)
Is it tonight the "gig" at Bash Con. Do you have to be a Member to get in there?

Didn't used to have to be Atarah, were hoping to get up yon. n we aint.:)