Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/accy-pop-groups-1960s-42082.html)

beechy 02-10-2008 05:33

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

James Boys were regulars up Sydney st club
i seem to think they were a duo

Alan Gilmartin 02-10-2008 08:09

The Scorchers Mainly Clayton guys, went into a competition at the Cavern in Liverpool in the early 60s,and lost out to the Yardbirds if I remember rightly. Maybe David Robinson or Trevor Gardener, can clarify this or if anybody knows them they could asked them, I think they still live in the area. I mean it was 3 or 4 years of thier life they must have stories to tell, we have and we were'nt in bands.

Wynonie Harris 02-10-2008 09:15

Anybody remember The Soundcasters? The line up was Tony Cooper, vocalist, who was in my class at AGS, Glenn Ainsworth, lead guitar, Maurice Blezzard, bass, Gary Hull, organist, and Dave Hull, drums. They played the usual round of dancehalls (Arts, Con) and youth clubs in the area in the mid-60's.

cashman 02-10-2008 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 637154)
James Boys were regulars up Sydney st club
i seem to think they were a duo

if thats the case, musta been too drunk to remember em.:D

jaysay 02-10-2008 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by egg&chips (Post 637123)
Does anyone remember the James Boys? Apparently they narrowly missed out to Freddie & The Dreamers for an Opportubity Knocks spot in the 60's. I'm told they were good but don't know anyone outside of my immediate family who ever heard of them.

Could you mean the James Turner 4 egg&chips. James was an hairdresser from Hassy, the ex-wife served her apprenticeship in his salon. They were better known as the J. Turner four, or Jay Turner four, bet cashy remembers them. Sadly James died a few years ago, at the time he had an hairdressers in Rishton

jaysay 02-10-2008 10:14

I remember Ray Landon and the Midnight Hour were due to go for an audition for op knocks, but they split, or Ray Landon left. Can remember going to watch them one friday night at The Greyhound at Clayton, I was pally with the lead guitarist, the was called Henry, can't remember his last name. When I went in H told me that the singer had quit, and they asked me to fill in, did a couple of numbers. The Drummer as call Derek and the Rhythm guitar was Brendan. Another group I followed in the 70s was Copper Kettle, Eric Treewe was lead guitar, he now works with Brian Grubby in the Music Box? on Abbey Steet, think its the music box, the one that burned down a while ago, Eric could make the guitar talk, was once with Marty Wildes backing group The Weather

Caz 02-10-2008 11:01

Remember seeing a photo of my uncle, probably taken late fifties early sixties, of him playing in a group. Don't know the name of the group though. His name was Vincent Shaw. Anyone remember him or the group he was in? :)

Benipete 03-10-2008 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 637187)
Could you mean the James Turner 4 egg&chips. James was an hairdresser from Hassy, the ex-wife served her apprenticeship in his salon. They were better known as the J. Turner four, or Jay Turner four, bet cashy remembers them. Sadly James died a few years ago, at the time he had an hairdressers in Rishton

James boys were a duo and played most of the local clubs,as did the J Turner Four who as the name suggests weren't a duo.Saw them both in the early 70's along with White Sateen and the Blue Star Combo.:theband:

cashman 04-10-2008 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 637545)
James boys were a duo and played most of the local clubs,as did the J Turner Four who as the name suggests weren't a duo.Saw them both in the early 70's along with White Sateen and the Blue Star Combo.:theband:

bumped into the drummer of Blue Star Combo the other day, hes making a grand owd fella.:D

Benipete 04-10-2008 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 637716)
bumped into the drummer of Blue Star Combo the other day, hes making a grand owd fella.:D

Worked with Paul at Prestige 37 yrs ago.:eek:

egg&chips 04-10-2008 14:36

Cheers Beechy & Beni. My old boss Neil was in the band & explained the trick of taking a coachload to the audition who all wore rubber gloves to max out the applause volume (a well used trick apparently). Unfotunately this broke the clapometer and by the time it was fixed the Accy crowd had had to go home. Freddie & his strange dancing antics were thrust onto an unsuspecting public. It's funny how things work out isn't it?

jimmymac 07-10-2008 19:45

Jaysay and Beechy

Did you know my stepfather John Tomlinson; he worked at Shopfitters for 15 years both at Bullbridge and Ossy.
I used to play cricket for Shopfitters in the 1950s; Harry Brindale was captain.

Brian Stott

cashman 07-10-2008 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmymac (Post 639135)
Jaysay and Beechy

Did you know my stepfather John Tomlinson; he worked at Shopfitters for 15 years both at Bullbridge and Ossy.
I used to play cricket for Shopfitters in the 1950s; Harry Brindale was captain.

Brian Stott

i knew a john tomlinson from school (Accy Tech) tom cat we used to call him, came from up rossendale valley way, don't know if ya mean that guy, would be around 60 yrs old now.

jaysay 08-10-2008 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmymac (Post 639135)
Jaysay and Beechy

Brian Stott

The name rings a bell, new a few who worked for them down Bullbridge, I started work at Shopfitters in June 1966, one of the old stagers was Peter Westwell was very heavily involved with Accrington Cricket Club and was goalie for the works team in the Accy Combination. What department did your stepdad work Brian

les stewart 23-10-2008 22:26

Surprised nobody mentioned the Nosmo Kings, remember seeing them at a youth club, Whalley Rd Methodist I think, maybe 1964