Accrington Web

Accrington Web (http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s (http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/accy-pop-groups-1960s-42082.html)

egg&chips 19-12-2008 19:57

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rishton blue (Post 660989)
jaysay would that be david tomlinson big guy with glasses who later played in several groups with royston jones and rodney hill.

Last time I saw Rod Hill he was running a chippy on Whalley Road

keith 19-12-2008 20:52

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
did david tomlinson work at jbbridges on church street many years ago

jaysay 20-12-2008 11:44

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keith (Post 661414)
did david tomlinson work at jbbridges on church street many years ago

He did I think Keith, went to williams when Bridges closed

yerself 20-12-2008 19:44

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Never mind these no marks. What about Swinging Wilf?

cashman 20-12-2008 23:55

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 661708)
Never mind these no marks. What about Swinging Wilf?

was only talking about him in the butchers a few weeks ago, remembering when he used to appear up the plough, was asking what became of him.:confused: anyone know?

Mancie 21-12-2008 01:46

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
What about "Evil Doc Talbort" ? where has he gone?

yerself 21-12-2008 09:02

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman
was only talking about him in the butchers a few weeks ago, remembering when he used to appear up the plough, was asking what became of him. anyone know?

He lived in Fern Gore and died alone. Legend has it that no one was aware of his death for a few days and when he was eventually found his dog had started to eat him.

jaysay 21-12-2008 10:45

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 661774)
was only talking about him in the butchers a few weeks ago, remembering when he used to appear up the plough, was asking what became of him.:confused: anyone know?

I think the guy that made the most out of that was Jim the landlord, people came from miles around to see Wilf, my local was the Stop and Rest at the time and I was stopped on many occasions by out-of-towners asking where Wilf was appearing, the only pay he received was a few pints a night and he used to fill the pub Friday Saturday and Sunday, not to mention the merchandising, T shirts with "I've seen Swinging Wilf" on

tosh 22-12-2008 19:25

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by egg&chips (Post 661404)
Last time I saw Rod Hill he was running a chippy on Whalley Road

last i heard rod was teaching music at rhyddings school ossy.

egg&chips 23-12-2008 22:23

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosh (Post 662276)
last i heard rod was teaching music at rhyddings school ossy.

Better use of his talents then

abiteachuck 27-12-2008 23:45

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Jon Anderson lived on norfolk st with his sister joy and tony. he delivered milk for walt procter in the early 60s. the group he and tony were in were the warriors .Orange bedford ca van remember the horns.We watched them up the con every time, them were the days.
My mum once told him to leave the house for saying bloody hell and she would do the same today shes 88,

Stumped 30-12-2008 19:14

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
:theband::theband::theband:

One of the most popular Accrington groups of the 1960/70's was Lennie and the Teenbeats. Lennie herbert was the brains behind the group which had Pete Hibbert as it's main singer. They were regulars at Accy Con Club and I also recall them appearing on the same bill as Billy Fury, with Georgie Fame and The Blue Flames at Barnoldswick Civic Hall. That was certainly a night to remember.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Stumped.

cashman 30-12-2008 19:57

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumped (Post 664376)
:theband::theband::theband:

One of the most popular Accrington groups of the 1960/70's was Lennie and the Teenbeats. Lennie herbert was the brains behind the group which had Pete Hibbert as it's main singer. They were regulars at Accy Con Club and I also recall them appearing on the same bill as Billy Fury, with Georgie Fame and The Blue Flames at Barnoldswick Civic Hall. That was certainly a night to remember.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Stumped.

remember well, sadly petes in poor health these days, never forget his "Eddie Cochran":(

beechy 30-12-2008 20:33

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Billy Fury's one time backing band was
The Blue Flames. before Georgie Fame came along;)

jaysay 31-12-2008 11:14

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Talking about backing bands Marty Wilde's Backing band was The Weather, their Lead Guitar was Eric from the music box in Accy, now that lad could play the guitar, used to watch him regular in the 70s when he played lead in a Band called Copper Kettle, who were under the same management team as Rainbow Cottage another excellent band
By the way Eric's last name is Triwee, I think, well that's how I pronounced it, but I'm sure I ain't spelt it right:confused:


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:49.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com

Page generated in 0.12465 seconds with 8 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1