Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/accy-pop-groups-1960s-42082.html)

cashman 16-02-2009 10:50

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 680773)
We've actualy dicussed this before cashy, they did start as a ten bopper group before Jon and Tony became involved, but there were two brother Tony and Ian Alveston, Tony was my mate and I travelled round with them when we were still at school, but can't ever remember them playing Accy Con, Tony is a member on here but haven't seen him post.

yeh i remember, don't think stumped was a member then? cos i'm blowed if i could find the thread.:)

Taggy 16-02-2009 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 680773)
We've actualy dicussed this before cashy, they did start as a ten bopper group before Jon and Tony became involved, but there were two brother Tony and Ian Alveston, Tony was my mate and I travelled round with them when we were still at school, but can't ever remember them playing Accy Con, Tony is a member on here but haven't seen him post.

Ian's still around too, but hav'nt seen him for several months.

Best Regards - Taggy

beechy 16-02-2009 14:33

i think between us, we saw a lot of bands
up accy con but i cant recall the Warriors ever gigging there
:theband:

jaysay 16-02-2009 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 680785)
Ian's still around too, but hav'nt seen him for several months.

Best Regards - Taggy

The last time I heard Ian was living up Green Haworth, but I haven't seen him for years, Ian is probable one of the best local guitarists I've ever seen, he used to use lots of Jazz cords brilliant

jaysay 16-02-2009 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 680840)
i think between us, we saw a lot of bands
up accy con but i cant recall the Warriors ever gigging there
:theband:

I saw lots of Bands up the Con Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Hermans Hermits, Four Pennies, or the Lionel Morton Four as they were known then, but the Warriors na

Taggy 16-02-2009 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 680878)
The last time I heard Ian was living up Green Haworth, but I haven't seen him for years, Ian is probable one of the best local guitarists I've ever seen, he used to use lots of Jazz cords brilliant

Think he may still pop up the Stanley Street Pub occasionally on the Monday Jam nights, but i've not been up there for a while now, good guitarist, as you say! I was driving back from Ossy one night last year, and i switched on the radio and there was a programme on which i think was for local musicians, the presenter said they were going to play a track from Ian's latest CD, so he must have recorded something around that time, but i did'nt get to hear it. Have a feeling it was for a Charity, but not certain.

Best Regards - Taggy

jaysay 17-02-2009 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 680883)
Think he may still pop up the Stanley Street Pub occasionally on the Monday Jam nights, but i've not been up there for a while now, good guitarist, as you say! I was driving back from Ossy one night last year, and i switched on the radio and there was a programme on which i think was for local musicians, the presenter said they were going to play a track from Ian's latest CD, so he must have recorded something around that time, but i did'nt get to hear it. Have a feeling it was for a Charity, but not certain.

Best Regards - Taggy

Think he's done one or two over the years Taggy seem to remember my mate Pete Crook who playes with Accy Rockers telling me about some CDs Ian had made

jaysay 17-02-2009 10:17

Taggy, have just Googled Ian Alveston, 848 hits, the first one is a U-tube link, looks like the lad has a real following worth a shufty

Taggy 17-02-2009 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 681306)
Taggy, have just Googled Ian Alveston, 848 hits, the first one is a U-tube link, looks like the lad has a real following worth a shufty

Hey, bringing back the memories that, just had a look at couple of those links...could'nt get on his website though! He also used to pop up St Mary's Club on Folk Nights, but i dont think they have them there anymore!

Best Regards - Taggy

Stumped 17-02-2009 21:59

I saw the Warriers at the Con during a private function. They were very young at the time and, although good, fluffed some of the guitar sequences. When I saw them some months later at Great Harwood's Mercer Hall they were terrific.

cashman 17-02-2009 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumped (Post 681574)
I saw the Warriers at the Con during a private function. They were very young at the time and, although good, fluffed some of the guitar sequences. When I saw them some months later at Great Harwood's Mercer Hall they were terrific.

ah thats why no-one remembers stumped, would that be before or after the "Anderson" brothers joined em?:)

jaysay 18-02-2009 10:02

When Tony and Ian left the Warriors, they formed another group called Tony and the Tea Leafs, so um perform at Spring Hill on a Saturday night, but they didn't carry on long after that:rolleyes:

Stumped 22-02-2009 17:41

The honest answer to that would be "Dunno!" The occasion at the Con would have been around 1965/6 though if that's any help?

jaysay 23-02-2009 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumped (Post 683982)
The honest answer to that would be "Dunno!" The occasion at the Con would have been around 1965/6 though if that's any help?

Tony and Ian Alveston left the warriors in 1962, when Jon and Tony Anderson took over, Jon left the group in 1967 to follow a solo career before joining Yes, Not sure but think Jon made to records under the name of Hans Christian Anderson but can't remember much about them

beejay 26-02-2009 14:58

No I dont think Nosmo Kings where pre Jay Turner Four. The only connection as I can remember may have been Noel Smith (drummer with the Jay Turner Four) whom I think at one time did play for the Nosmo Kings. The Nosmo Kings if I remember correctly where managed for most of the time by Lennie Herbert from Great Harwood, who regular had them on at the Mercer Hall and can remember them supporting a Lennie Herbert promotion with headliners Nero & The Gladiators. Also the lead singer with the Nosmos(for a long number of years was very pally with the jay Turner Four and I think he did one or two guest spots, so I can see where there maybe a little confusion.

The Vidors became the Dynamites, The Dynamites became the Jay Turner Four, The Jay Turner Four became the James Turner Four and the James Turner Four became Second Time Around. This band spanned (the band spanned over 20 plus years with varying members) but the long term main players where: Gerard Navin (lead) John Tillotson (Bass) Ronnie Green (Rhythm & Vocals) Noel Smith (Drums) Vocalist: The late James Turner, The late Billy Kerr. also: John Turner Drums

Beejay (Agent/Manager)