Accrington Web

Accrington Web (http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s (http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/accy-pop-groups-1960s-42082.html)

ozzyroma 24-08-2008 22:21

ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Anyone remember Boris and the Dansaks????

cashman 24-08-2008 22:39

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
thats a new one on me, more info please.

ozzyroma 24-08-2008 22:51

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
John Cunliffe singer and Lennon look and soundalike, Geoff Greenwood lead guitar, Rishton John on bass, me Malcolm Whittaker drums. Played all the area youth clubs, town hall, wmclubs all around, we were quite well known and not bad if i say it myself. all at accy grammar at the time and it was "o" levels that did for the group - that and hp on our good equipment (20 quid in 4 not much a night!) It was great fun at the time - knew the Warriors. i have a picture but sadly no tapes.

cashman 24-08-2008 23:02

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzyroma (Post 622858)
John Cunliffe singer and Lennon look and soundalike, Geoff Greenwood lead guitar, Rishton John on bass, me Malcolm Whittaker drums. Played all the area youth clubs, town hall, wmclubs all around, we were quite well known and not bad if i say it myself. all at accy grammar at the time and it was "o" levels that did for the group - that and hp on our good equipment (20 quid in 4 not much a night!) It was great fun at the time - knew the Warriors. i have a picture but sadly no tapes.

right remember vaguely now, john cunliffe n geoff greenwood went to ossy technical school, they were in my class, remember just about lol , geoff lived in the willows lane area as did john i think, aint seem either though fer many years.

cashman 24-08-2008 23:07

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
would the rishton john be john anderson? suspect it was he was also in my class at school, still playing with "Accy Rockers" if its him.;) geoff greenwoods nickname at school was "Haircut"

ozzyroma 24-08-2008 23:27

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Blimey - this is an amazing site - yes, John Anderson - his dad had a bike shop on a corner in rishton. i remember and will all my life after practising at his place over the shop we bought some chips and threw the paper in the road - came up a cop and next thing i knew dad and me down the juvenile place in accy - just a ticking off but have never littered since in my life - those beat bobbies new how justice and law and order worked - what a change from today on the streets. about "haircut", he somehow was responsible for us getting attacked in bacup irish wmc one night - thank goodness our "manager" and driver then demolished several attackers on our rush out and then police escort home with sirens blaring thru bacup - those were the days!!

cashman 24-08-2008 23:55

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
another local group at that time was the "Tredwheels" a old mate of mine was in them, they used to wear green lurex waistcoats. did a tour of germany i think, then disbanded. your paths may have crossed.:theband:

beechy 25-08-2008 05:34

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
remember the dansaks very well in the early sixties
my mate george was the drummer at the time so i think it
must have been after your good self ozzy john lived higher up than willow mount
on the flat part of willows lane geoff lived lower downand did for
many years with his mother geoff became a space cadet sorry to say

Wynonie Harris 25-08-2008 09:00

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
I too remember The Dansaks well. Saw 'em quite a few times at various venues around town. Geoff lived just round the corner from me and sadly, as Beechy says, he lost it somewhat later. A couple of other bands I recall are The Dappers and The Soundcasters, whose lead singer, Tony Cooper, was in my class at AGS.

Any chance of posting your Dansaks picture on here, Malcolm?

jaysay 25-08-2008 10:01

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 622882)
remember the dansaks very well in the early sixties
my mate george was the drummer at the time so i think it
must have been after your good self ozzy john lived higher up than willow mount
on the flat part of willows lane geoff lived lower downand did for
many years with his mother geoff became a space cadet sorry to say

Who was your mate George beechy, used to know a lad from school was into the group scene, and he came from Clayton, but can't remember his surname though, he may also have had a brother too. This guy was a joiner and I worked with him at Shopfitters, can't for the life in me think of his surname

beechy 25-08-2008 10:39

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 622923)
Who was your mate George beechy, used to know a lad from school was into the group scene, and he came from Clayton, but can't remember his surname though, he may also have had a brother too. This guy was a joiner and I worked with him at Shopfitters, can't for the life in me think of his surname

george worked at shopfitters as i did
played drums for a few bands and is called
Mc avoy has a few brothers and sisters

jaysay 25-08-2008 11:08

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 622927)
george worked at shopfitters as i did
played drums for a few bands and is called
Mc avoy has a few brothers and sisters

Ya beechy cashy just PM'd me, George Mc, great guy ain't seen him for years. If you worked at Shopfitters in that era I must know you, which department were you in? I started on Assembly, then went out on the road, worked on both shops and bars, I was a big mate of Cliff Whip charge hand of Assembly, used to drink with him later on when I lived in Hassy for a few years, sadly he's been dead for nearly 30 years now.

beechy 25-08-2008 11:32

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 622935)
Ya beechy cashy just PM'd me, George Mc, great guy ain't seen him for years. If you worked at Shopfitters in that era I must know you, which department were you in? I started on Assembly, then went out on the road, worked on both shops and bars, I was a big mate of Cliff Whip charge hand of Assembly, used to drink with him later on when I lived in Hassy for a few years, sadly he's been dead for nearly 30 years now.

worked in the glass dpt then mirrors
and later found myself being the boilerman
on the big lancashire boiler, used to mate around with Dougie Mitchell
although neither of us was in an Accy pop band of the 60s
:theband:

jaysay 26-08-2008 04:58

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beechy (Post 622947)
worked in the glass dpt then mirrors
and later found myself being the boilerman
on the big lancashire boiler, used to mate around with Dougie Mitchell
although neither of us was in an Accy pop band of the 60s
:theband:

Remember Dougie Mitchell, big guy, like a pint if I remember, I'm not sure but didn't he take on a Thwaites dray horse in a drinking bout and won:D, lived somewhere near the Polic/fire station in Accy

beechy 27-08-2008 19:09

Re: ACCY POP GROUPS 1960s
 
seem to remember a group called
Shaddy ..had a female singer..:jimbo:


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:39.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com

Page generated in 0.13052 seconds with 8 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1