Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   1st pint, 1st local. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/1st-pint-1st-local-48711.html)

gdm27 07-08-2009 13:00

1st pint, 1st local.

My first pint was in the Commercial at the junction in Church, has it just been pulled down??? Christmas 1968 and I was 15. Taken in by the blokes I worked with from Pilkington Bros. and had 2 pints of mild. Off my head! 1st. local on a regular basis, funds permitting, starting in 1969, the Tanpits again down in Church. They would let anyone in! :D

cashman 07-08-2009 13:27

Re: 1st pint, 1st local.

my first was in the Australian down the pleck in accy, would reckon that was 62. beat ya by a year was 14.:D

Gayle 07-08-2009 14:08

Used to go into town with my friend on a Saturday morning to do any shopping and hang around the lads who were on the market stalls (particularly the shoe stall I seem to remember). Then used to meet her dad in the Regency for a half at lunchtime - reckon we were only about 14 when we started doing that.

First regular local was the Heys in Ossy.

beechy 07-08-2009 14:15

would have been the Black Bull.. Huncoat
then down to the youth club must have been 61/62
:theband:

MargaretR 07-08-2009 14:44

At the tender age of 15, I had just started work in the offices of Mullard Simonstone.
I was working with older girls and they lured me into a night out which included a Babycham in -
The Old House At Home Melbourne St - now demolished for the dual carriageway.

Eric 07-08-2009 15:43

1960 ... the Village Blacksmith on Bayley St. .... Dutton's house .... had a pint of mild, tho' I soon changed to bitter and shifted my alleigence to Thwaites ... I was a late starter; almost 15 at the time.

jaysay 07-08-2009 16:18

My first local were Bay Horse on Union Road, Heys Inn and of course Ossy and Accy Con, the landlord of the heys in those days was Alf and Margaret Whittle, the steward of Ossy Con was Fred Ingham

seenbeen 07-08-2009 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdm27 (Post 734197)
My first pint was in the Commercial at the junction in Church, has it just been pulled down??? Christmas 1968 and I was 15. Taken in by the blokes I worked with from Pilkington Bros. and had 2 pints of mild. Off my head! 1st. local on a regular basis, funds permitting, starting in 1969, the Tanpits again down in Church. They would let anyone in! :D

That pub/hotel now if i'm correct is such a disgrace it looks like it's been terrorised

Eric 07-08-2009 17:24

I think my first real local was the Junction, John Smith's, a real good pint .... but whenever the urge to have a pint came over me, I would usually pop into a Thwaites' house .... Forts Arms, Australian, Black Dog ...............

Sara 07-08-2009 17:43

First pub was the Black Horse, Ossy then on to the Big D disco. After 2 halfs we were drunk and thought we were so cool.

vera 07-08-2009 18:00

i had my first drink on my 18th birthday, late starter, as i was not allowed to stay out late, very strict parents, and then into H.M. forces, against rules and regulations to drink under age.

cashman 07-08-2009 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 734278)
I think my first real local was the Junction, John Smith's, a real good pint .... but whenever the urge to have a pint came over me, I would usually pop into a Thwaites' house .... Forts Arms, Australian, Black Dog ...............

i used to play darts fer junction Eric.:)

Eric 07-08-2009 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 734292)
i used to play darts fer junction Eric.:)

Holy faeces ... really .... me too .... and had my own mug behind the bar ... used to hang out with Ray Barker (think he became a bookie .... always loved the horses that guy), and Sid Wright (he joined the Royal Marines) .... I can't remember the landlord's name; but he had a dishy daughter .... Anne, I think she was called .... I think they took over the New Brewery.

cashman 07-08-2009 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 734318)
Holy faeces ... really .... me too .... and had my own mug behind the bar ... used to hang out with Ray Barker (think he became a bookie .... always loved the horses that guy), and Sid Wright (he joined the Royal Marines) .... I can't remember the landlord's name; but he had a dishy daughter .... Anne, I think she was called .... I think they took over the New Brewery.

would that be the lass that was goin wi "Ben Anderson" who was a rovers player? P.S. ya didn't play in that Pre- season darts friendly against the Big Crown did ya? was like Gunfight at OK Corral that night.:D

Eric 07-08-2009 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 734320)
would that be the lass that was goin wi "Ben Anderson" who was a rovers player? P.S. ya didn't play in that Pre- season darts friendly against the Big Crown did ya? was like Gunfight at OK Corral that night.:D

What year would that be .... I took off for university in '64 .... and in '67 I left for god's country ....