Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   Harvest Festival ..... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/harvest-festival-49467.html)

Eric 18-09-2009 18:41

Harvest Festival .....

On the second monday of October in Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving (or, if you live in la belle province, Jour de l'Action de grace) ... this year it will be on October 12. Traditionally, Canadians will get together for Thanksgiving dinner .... usually turkey with all the tirmmings, often followed by pumpkin pie. This holiday has its roots in the harvest festival. I remember clearly that there was a harvest festival service at All Saints Church in Clayton, and because I attended All Saints School, I went every year. We took baskets of fruit, veggies, and bunches of flowers to the church. I do believe that these gifts ended up going to the poor; but I'm not sure about this. My grandad used to put together a basket of produce from his allotment back of Rishton Rd. Some might remember those allotments: my grandad had one, as did Tommy Pilkington, Tom Noble, and Basil Brierly.

Do they still have Harvest Festivals? Does anyone else remember going to them?

MargaretR 18-09-2009 18:55

Re: Harvest Festival .....

My first ex mother in law (Welsh Methodist) insisted that I attend chapel for the harvest festival every year.
anything for a bit of peace:rolleyes:

cashman 18-09-2009 19:08

if ya get pumpkin pie eric, glad they done away wi em its crap.:eek:

Eric 19-09-2009 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 746073)
if ya get pumpkin pie eric, glad they done away wi em its crap.:eek:

Pumpkin Pie ... fantastic ... but if you don't like the taste, feel free to slam it into the face of your least favorite politician:D

shillelagh 19-09-2009 14:19

My mum every year used to order a box of fruit and veg for the harvest service at church from andys florists .. and it would be all neatly cellophaned up and a ribbon bow on it, then id take it to church and all the other kids would be there with their homemade boxes ... all wrapped up with silver foil and clingfilm over the top.

Judith Addison 07-11-2009 23:20

Harvest Festivals are still going strong in local churches but with a slightly different emphasis. In the old days (1950s) the centrepiece was always a "wheat sheaf" made of bread, from a local confectioner. Fruit, etc. was taken out to local pensioners afterwards. These days produce or money tends to be given to local good causes, e.g. Maundy Grange in Accrington, or to the Bishop of Blackburn's harvest appeal. Day schools still hold harvest festival - I've just been to two, at Green Haworth School and St. Paul's School, Oswaldtwistle. The old tradition of Harvest Queen seems to have died out in the local churches.

born n bred 11-02-2013 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judith Addison (Post 761381)
Harvest Festivals are still going strong in local churches but with a slightly different emphasis. In the old days (1950s) the centrepiece was always a "wheat sheaf" made of bread, from a local confectioner. Fruit, etc. was taken out to local pensioners afterwards. These days produce or money tends to be given to local good causes, e.g. Maundy Grange in Accrington, or to the Bishop of Blackburn's harvest appeal. Day schools still hold harvest festival - I've just been to two, at Green Haworth School and St. Paul's School, Oswaldtwistle. The old tradition of Harvest Queen seems to have died out in the local churches.

We had a Harvest Queen festival at Hyndburn Park (either Infants or Juniors) during the 50's when a queen and her attendants were chosen and wore long dresses but my memory fails there as I don't remember the event itself or how we celebrated it, anyone help restore my memory? Does anyone also remember the Infant teachers?

Less 12-02-2013 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by born n bred (Post 1041715)
Does anyone also remember the Infant teachers?

You had Infant teachers? Wow!

jaysay 12-02-2013 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1041740)
You had Infant teachers? Wow!

Wonder at what age they started at teachers training college, Less :rolleyes:

sm_counsell 13-02-2013 09:29

I can remember them even though they weren't held in catholic churches.
What I remember more is coming out of 10.o'clock mass at St, Mary's and running up Union Rd. to Holy Trinity church for the 'Coffee and Bun' morning!
Don't know what the priest would have said but I got the best of both 'worlds'

Judith Addison 18-02-2013 23:39

Coffee and Bun was a tradition in Nonconformist Churches on New Year's morning. We always celebrated it at John Street Christian Institute, Oswaldtwistle. I'm thinking back to the 1950s. The buns were made at Lockwood's, 48/50 Union Road - may have been called something else then! Mr. Borwick of Walter Street used to make the coffee - always very strong. I think Rhyddings Methodist maintained the tradition for a long time - don't know whether it's still celebrated or what the origin of the custom was!

susie123 19-02-2013 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judith Addison (Post 1042787)
Coffee and Bun was a tradition in Nonconformist Churches on New Year's morning. We always celebrated it at John Street Christian Institute, Oswaldtwistle. I'm thinking back to the 1950s. The buns were made at Lockwood's, 48/50 Union Road - may have been called something else then! Mr. Borwick of Walter Street used to make the coffee - always very strong. I think Rhyddings Methodist maintained the tradition for a long time - don't know whether it's still celebrated or what the origin of the custom was!

Perhaps the coffee was to counteract a New Year hangover?:rolleyes:

MargaretR 19-02-2013 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1042854)
Perhaps the coffee was to counteract a New Year hangover?:rolleyes:

Not necessarily so - we had them at methodist sunday school - most of them had 'signed the pledge'.

JCB 19-02-2013 18:05

I can remember when members of Spring Hill Methodist Church used to organise a kind of Saturday Summer Fair on the old Grammar School playing fields where Mount Carmel is now .
Free coffee and buns were one the features .

My favourite was going on the swing boats .

egg&chips 19-02-2013 20:04

I recall attending a "Festival of Queens" in Accy town hall circa 1970 dressed as Antley Meths page boy. I suspect a similarly named festival would have different target group these days.